Richard Wilson - 'Miles to go' but McCoist confident of moving on

Out of the current squad I think quite a few will still be playing with us in two years time when we should be playing top flight football. Think Bell, Foster, Wallace, Moshni, McAusland McLeod, Crawford, Peralta, Law, Clark, Little, Daly, Aird, McKay, Daly and probably McCulloch will still be there.

It will take us at least a couple of years for us to be properly challenging for the title again though IMO

Yeah, only in the sense that he's our best teenager by miles and deserves a regular starting slot at the tender age of 18. No other comparison meant... :)

The good thing is that we have 16 academy players, all of whom have played and 8 of which have played more than 25 times. A bit unprecedented for us. However, they do make up 50% of the "squad".

I have witnessed first hand some of the younger Academy players (current year entrants so 2004) - they played for a team other than RFC but the club have taken many of them on board for the new season and they were absolutely a JOY to watch. I know we all complain about scouting, youth development etc but having watched these young boys play together they were a very special group. Also having witnessed the coaches in action (one Academy and one, I believe, who is a FITC coach (but was excellent and, IMHO, should be an Academy coach) I think we have some very astute coaches. Also, during our recent tour with Rangers as well as entry into their "International Tournament" there were scouts at the tournament the whole weekend.... not just from Rangers but also from Celtic - Celtic dont run such a summer tournament, only Rangers do. And from my conversations with the RFC coaches I can only say that given some of the things that seem to happen behind the scenes I am far happier with how WE run things versus how they run things.

Obviously two sides to every story but our experience with Rangers, the coaches, the club, the organisation etc, was absolutely wonderful. Everything ran in the professional manner that I would have hoped from Rangers.

Sorry, that was off topic (maybe I should actually create a thread about our kids and their experience of touring with Rangers) - but back to the kids and the Academy.... from what I saw as a coach myself, Rangers run a very thorough, professional Academy and it tells in some of the kids you see playing.

I shuddered at the though of jig in the spl.

Personally I dont think he will be.

I have a suspicion, no more than that, that Jig will take us through all leagues as captain and bow out by assiting to unfurl the SPFL1 (or whatever the fck they are calling it - SPFLC ??) flag at Ibrox on 1st day of SPL.

Maybe that is just over-optimism that Jig will realise his time really is up by the time we get to the SPFL.

Personally I dont think he will be.

I have a suspicion, no more than that, that Jig will take us through all leagues as captain and bow out by assiting to unfurl the SPFL1 (or whatever the fck they are calling it - SPFLC ??) flag at Ibrox on 1st day of SPL.

Maybe that is just over-optimism that Jig will realise his time really is up by the time we get to the SPFL.

Jig is 35 now & is under contract til the end of next season I believe. Will he be able to last that long? Not the best use of valuable financial resources IMO.

Jig is 35 now & is under contract til the end of next season I believe. Will he be able to last that long? Not the best use of valuable financial resources IMO.

Inclined to agree. But I also think that Jig has been exactly what we have needed as Captain since the administration, someone that can truly let his team-mates know what is involved, and what is required, to play for Rangers.

Inclined to agree. But I also think that Jig has been exactly what we have needed as Captain since the administration, someone that can truly let his team-mates know what is involved, and what is required, to play for Rangers.

He was certainly invaluable to have around during that time but unfortunately I think he's now well past his best & if he's honest Ally will struggle to keep him in the starting XI this season never mind next season. He'll be one of our higher earners til then and frankly his wages could have been better spent