Wallace expects new Blue Nicky Clark to display his quality

NICKY Clark has not played a competitive match since finishing the season with Queen of the South four long months ago.

And the young striker has not kicked a ball for Rangers in a friendly since the meeting with Newcastle United at the start of this month.

But he is more than capable of netting the goals that secure victory over East Fife on his return to action at Ibrox on Saturday.

And he can grab a fair few more as the club continue "The Journey" back to the top flight of the Scottish game.

That was the opinion of left-back Lee Wallace today as he looked forward to the return of the 22-year-old predator.

Cammy Bell and Clark are the only players manager Ally McCoist can field as trialists in the SPFL League One fixture this weekend.

Jon Daly and Nicky Law have both played in three matches - against Brechin, Stranraer and Airdrie - and are not allowed to feature.

Ricky Foster, Bilel Mohsni, Arnold Peralta and Stevie Smith are unavailable because the last club they were registered with was not in Scotland

However, Wallace, who has struck a rich vein of form, is confident in the prolific marksman.

"I think we all saw in pre-season exactly what Nicky Clark will bring to the team," the Scotland cap said.

"Like the other players who have come in to the club during the summer, he has a lot of quality and I am sure that he is going to score a lot of goals.

"We have only been able to play a couple of the new boys in each league game so far this season, but they have certainly made a big difference for us.

"I am sure Nicky will do well for the club when he gets a chance. We saw in the last game that he played against Newcastle what a talent he is.

"He was up against a Premier League side that was fielding players who cost millions of pounds. But he was not daunted by that and gave them a difficult evening.

"I am sure he is really looking forward to getting back involved in the team and then playing regularly after September 1. I know we are all looking forward to him playing again."

Wallace's lung-bursting runs up the left flank have resulted in Rangers scoring several goals this season.

The defender has been impressed by how another of the new arrivals, former Dundee United striker Daly, has carved out chances for his team-mates.

And he believes the Irishman will go from strength to strength now he has finally netted his first competitive goals for the Govan club.

Daly bagged himself a double in the second half of the 6-0 annihilation of Airdrie at the Excelsior Stadium on Friday night to end his barren run.

Wallace said: "I have played against Jon before so I know what a handful he can be for defences. He has great finishing capabilities.

"He didn't take long to show people at this club what he was all about after he arrived here. He scored in training and in pre-season.

"I am sure that having the manager to speak to when things were not falling for him was helpful. But we always knew he would be a goal threat.

"He has been getting himself in good positions to score in all of the games that we have played and it was only a matter of time before he hit the target.

"I am sure that he will go on now and score a lot of goals for us. Like all the players who have come in, he has got real quality."

Rangers have won all three of their League One games against Brechin, Stranraer and Airdrie comfortably this season and have scored 13 goals in the procees.

But Wallace stressed the Third Division champions would not be taking East Fife lightly when they square up to them this weekend.

He said: "We have to make sure we play to our best every time that we take to the field no matter who the opposition is.

"We represent Rangers and we have to remember that whenever we play."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/wallace-expects-new-blue-nicky-clark-to-display-his-quality-134683n.21991221

Hopefully Ally doesn't sign another striker and that way young Nicky Clark might get a good few games. With us having Clark, Little, Daly, Jig & a few others who can play up front (like Templeton, Crawford & McKay), there's just absolutely no way Ally needs another striker.

Looking forward to Clark getting a wee run in the team, he does look an exciting prospect with a good attitude,it would be great if he could get off to a scoring start on Saturday,I think when he gets his first goal he might just go on to better his tally from last season!.

Hopefully Ally doesn't sign another striker and that way young Nicky Clark might get a good few games. With us having Clark, Little, Daly, Jig & a few others who can play up front (like Templeton, Crawford & McKay), there's just absolutely no way Ally needs another striker.

Enter Kenneth Miller...