The level of debt SDM racked up (£52m as announced by McClelland at the AGM a month after taking over) was the reason he was forced to 'step down' as chairman.

McClelland successfully tightened the purse strings, selling a number of our high earners and restricting Eck mainly to Bosman signings. He and Martin Bain are the reasons McLeish's overall transfer activity was hugely profitable for the club. As well as investing less on transfers he invested more on youth development.

The debt did rise under his stewardship, but at that level it was unsustainable. Nonetheless we did still maintain a position in the Forbes rich list over that period.

I'm not saying he was a roaring success, but he's possibly the closest to a successful chairman we've had in the past couple of decades.

If you actually believe he was pulling the strings then a village missing an idiot springs to mind.

This part just made me throw up:

He and Martin Bain are the reasons McLeish's overall transfer activity was hugely profitable

On so many levels. A tripod of shit stains on our history.

Good night all.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

The debt was Murrays doing, no one really had a proper say in what decisions he made, or rather, what gambles he took.

McClelland, while chairman, told the AGM that the directors would not let the club's debt go above a certain level (£40m IIRC). It was over that level within 12 months. He lied, he was weak and didn't see the need to resign. I'd rather not have him as chairman again.

McClelland, while chairman, told the AGM that the directors would not let the club's debt go above a certain level (£40m IIRC). It was over that level within 12 months. He lied, he was weak and didn't see the need to resign. I'd rather not have him as chairman again.

I do remember raising exactly that point at the next AGM and if memory serves me that was when he made the comment about the fans not being able to run the club, I think the debt at that time was around £65M and he said it would be £265M under the fans, but I could be wrong.

Nonetheless, you don't get to hold the positions he has and do high level reports for the Government unless you are held in high esteem in those circles.

He may not be a financial controller but I think he is a bit of a politician and may be the kind of man we need to heal the wounds in the Boardroom until a younger candidate emerges.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I wasn't championing him for chairman.