Personally, I would have been quite relaxed had Black been sacked, but I really don't know all of the facts, whereas Ally McCoist does. However, I have no doubt that Black would have been treated in the same way as Sandaza had he started this season the way he played last year.

Wow wow ... some moral high grounds being climbed here and old chaps being resurrected.

Can we assume that no other Rangers has betted on a Rangers game since the last 50odd years then?

We cant change the consequences for previous players who did. We CAN change the consequences of current playing staff though.

Playing devils advocate.

Wow, Bill Struth, slipping standards. I think that ship of high standards sailed a long time ago. I actually think the club have handled it reasonably well, considering the available evidence against Black. There was zero evidence that he tried to influence any match he was involved in, and in fact, scuppered his own bet. I think some of us are just using this as a stick to beat a player they already dislike. I would have liked to see the reaction if it was one of our more popular players.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way trying to defend Ian Black personally. He did break the rules, and wandered into what is a grey area, where the shit will probably stick to him for his whole career. For this reason he probably should be moved on, but there are better ways of doing it, than in a blaze of glory immediately after the verdict, which will only bring more negative attention to the club. The Sandaza situation was a perfect example of how we shouldn't be acting. Our players should be defended by the club under almost any circumstances, and then moved on if the CLUB feels he has crossed a line.