Sunderland Waste No Time - Di Canio SACKED!

They should never have sacked Steve Bruce before O Neill.

Very early but obviously to do with his style and man-management. He shouldn't be criticising him players in public after signing 14 players in the summer...and then walking over to the fans and giving them the chin up, whats he thinking!

Di Matteo and Big Alex McLeish are the leading favourites. No doubt Big Eck would give the players a good confidence lift as he is a good man manager like that, but he would need someone who knows tactics. Di Matteo did Ok with West Brom, nothing more but then he won the CL with Chelsea! Jury would be out with him.

Sunderlands next 3 fixtures: Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle.

I know it isn't Rangers but I really wanted to post that headline. Admin chop & accept my apology if I have misjudged.

Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland sack head coach after 13 games

Sunderland have sacked head coach Paolo Di Canio after a poor start to the season that has left the Black Cats bottom of the Premier League table.

The 45-year-old Italian has won three of his 13 matches since being appointed in March and taken only one point from five league games this campaign.

"An announcement will be made in due course regarding a permanent successor," read a club statement.

In the meantime, coach Kevin Ball will take charge of the first-team squad.

It's got to be said, he was a footballer you would pay to watch but he is never going to hack it as a manager. Management by volcano the chairman at Swindon said.

But there's something about Sunderland. A once mighty club in decline. Bruce and O'Neil both with some management credentials failed there.

Never thought of them as mighty... Used to spend most of their time in the second tier. Things changed after the Premiership formed and they moved from Rocker Park but the are still perennial also-rans who often flirt with relegation.

You're right. Leaving Roker was the start of the downfall. But at one time they, like Everton later, Sunderland were called the Bank of England Club. Lavish spending of the income from huge crowds in the days when the turnstyle was the only revenue source.