Andy Cameron banned by Forfar

Andy Cameron not welcome back at Forfar

COMEDIAN Andy Cameron has been banned by *football minnows Forfar Athletic for criticising their *artificial pitch.

Rangers fan Cameron, who starred in Take The High Road, was at Station Park yesterday to watch his side’s 1-0 win .

But tempers flared when Cameron *criticised the in Angus team’s “poxy” stadium in the boardroom after the match.

Forfar chairman Alistair Donald vented his fury after the funnyman tore into his side’s artificial playing surface and seating.

Donald then tweeted: “Apparently our ground is poxy with no dugouts.”

He went on to describe Cameron as a “non-descript wee comedian full of opinion that is irrelevant”.

When asked if Cameron was banned, he said: “Yes”.

Earlier, in the boardroom, guests heard Donald *countered Cameron’s blast by dismissing the 73-year-old, who wrote and sang Ally’s Tartan Army, as “a poor comedian”.

The bust-up concluded with the chairman insisting that Cameron was not welcome in the future.

The comedian sought to play down the row last night.

He said: “I’ve got nothing against the pitch. I didn’t think Rangers played *particularly well but that was our problem.

“I was in the boardroom with a cup of tea. I even got a piece of clootie dumpling to take home from one of the ladies. I didn’t slag off anything.”

But a Forfar source said: “The chairman is adamant. Cameron won’t be welcome back.”

Wish we had chairman like that.

I hope its not true. Why would you slag a minor team who are one of around 15 clubs who have made Rangers feel welcome while in the low leagues. I could expect it from a 17 year old ned but not someone supposed to be mature.

Aside from this point in order to make the Scottish league better I always thought Forfar should join with Arbroath, Brechin and Montrose to become Angus Utd. The 4 teams are all within a 15 mile radius and it would make sense.

I hope its not true. Why would you slag a minor team who are one of around 15 clubs who have made Rangers feel welcome while in the low leagues. I could expect it from a 17 year old ned but not someone supposed to be mature.

Aside from this point in order to make the Scottish league better I always thought Forfar should join with Arbroath, Brechin and Montrose to become Angus Utd. The 4 teams are all within a 15 mile radius and it would make sense.

I'm all for teams amalgamating to make a more competitive top league but don't quite see the point of this in the lower leagues where outright success is second to benefits to the community. An Angus Utd may do better in that they get to the "Championship" but you lose three local clubs that seem to be surviving on their own.

‘It was just a difference of opinion’ — Forfar chairman plays down bust up with Andy Cameron.

Forfar Athletic chairman Alistair Donald has played down a post-match “difference of opinion” with a famous Rangers fan over the team’s artificial pitch.

Scots comedian Andy Cameron was reportedly banned from Station Park following comments he allegedly made about the ground’s 3G surface in the wake of the Gers’ narrow 1-0 win over the Loons on Sunday.

The former Take the High Road star was reported to have had a dig at the inconsistency of artificial surfaces but club chairman Alistair Donald moved to clarify the situation after initially taking to Twitter to vent his frustrations.

Mr Donald said: “He’s not banned but if he feels so strongly against the pitch then I don’t really see much need for him to come and watch football on it.

“We shook hands before he left and there’s no bad blood — that’s not how I operate. It was just a difference of opinion.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/it-was-just-a-difference-of-opinion-forfar-chairman-plays-down-bust-up-with-andy-cameron-1.134368?