Le Guen: Rangers improving 'steadily'

Paul Le Guen insists he has never doubted his ability to be a success at Rangers despite a turbulent first six months at the Ibrox helm.

A spell of dismal results earlier in this season means they head into the festive period trailing Old Firm rivals Celtic by 16 points and with little chance of mounting a serious title challenge in the second half of the campaign.

However, Rangers are now finally beginning to fulfil their potential, with impressive performances in their last two games against Hibernian and Celtic and Le Guen said: "I always remained confident things would turn for us. I never doubted myself or my squad. I knew the players wanted to improve and, when I feel that, I am hopeful."

"I have enjoyed the last six months. I am very proud to be the Rangers manager," added Le Guen.

"I appreciate the opportunity I have been given and, although there have been difficult periods, I knew this could be the case before I arrived."

Le Guen has promised fans they will see even more improvement in his team before the end of his inaugural season.

He said: "We have made a lot of progress so far and I expect the squad to be better again by March or April.

"I believe we can carry on improving steadily.

"Progress has been made in recent months but it will not stop now.

"There is still much more to come from us and we are working hard to fulfil our potential."

He say's he is proud to be the Rangers manager, surely he can see that a local guy is not only proud to play for Rangers but to also be captain.

To be honest we are seeing an improvement and in my opinion playing better football than last year but we are far from the finnished article.

I still see PLG as the long term answer. He has shown that he can be flexible and if he can add to the squad in terms of a defender and a striker then we won;'t be far away.

It was never going to happen overnight and hopefully our patience will be rewarded. The signs are there and with our backing we will get even better.

I really can't believe he has genuinely enjoyed his first six months. I don't think he regrets coming but the pressure obviously affected him for a while.

Does anyone agree that the recent resurgence has a big correlation with a change in formation? We seem to be more of a 4-4-2 now with the midfield 4 forming a diamond shape.

I think he should chuck the 4-2-3-1 in the bin as it doesn't seem to work in Scotland and 4-1-3-2 is much more effective.

I really can't believe he has genuinely enjoyed his first six months. I don't think he regrets coming but the pressure obviously affected him for a while.

Does anyone agree that the recent resurgence has a big correlation with a change in formation? We seem to be more of a 4-4-2 now with the midfield 4 forming a diamond shape.

I think he should chuck the 4-2-3-1 in the bin as it doesn't seem to work in Scotland and 4-1-3-2 is much more effective.

Definitely seems to suit our players better. Looking at how we were playing and how we are now, it seems obvious we don't have the players to play 4-2-3-1 effectively.

I'm not sure if getting rid of J-Rod is the right idea, for big physical matches we need his power and ability in the air.

I'd like to agree with that but cant. It's in turbulent times such as the last few months that you need your experienced campaigners to step up and be counted. Granted he's had an injury and it takes time with so many players trying to settle but J-Rod didn't do what you would expect i.e. stand up and be counted, lead by example etc etc.

If a club wants him and we can get a few quid (I reckon a �£100k- �£200k would be realistic) then we should take it.

Absolutely agree! We suddenly have purpose about our play. Before we were too easy to play against. I'm glad that a change has been made, but perhaps it should have been made earlier, as we a now only playing for 2nd place instead of vying for the title.

This has probably been discussed before, but for me PLG just didn't do enough research before he took the reigns. He should have been in Scotland watching games instead of just watching DVDs of our matches. Whilst running through the Sahara is a commendable achievement, perhaps he would have been wiser to spend the time researching the history of Rangers and finding out what he had really let himself in for? Having said that I'm 100% behind him.

Absolutely agree! We suddenly have purpose about our play. Before we were too easy to play against. I'm glad that a change has been made, but perhaps it should have been made earlier, as we a now only playing for 2nd place instead of vying for the title.

This has probably been discussed before, but for me PLG just didn't do enough research before he took the reigns. He should have been in Scotland watching games instead of just watching DVDs of our matches. Whilst running through the Sahara is a commendable achievement, perhaps he would have been wiser to spend the time researching the history of Rangers and finding out what he had really let himself in for? Having said that I'm 100% behind him.

Agreed, far too much was made about big Ecks feeings and le Guen not wanting to upset him. le Guen has totally underestimated the job in hand but hopefully he has learned from his mistakes and we are on the way to getting things right. I have no problems with the desert run as that was only a week but he should have been sitting in the stands more often.

I'm not sure if getting rid of J-Rod is the right idea, for big physical matches we need his power and ability in the air.

I've not really seen any of his power and ability in the air. I don't think we've had someone who can really hold his own in the SPL and against big centre forwards since Amoruso left. For all his mad antics, he was no pushover and I'd have him in my team in a shot which shows how desperate I am!

Merry Christmas all!