So how long is it going to take the SFA to undertake the fit and proper person test?

And, goodness me, I see no mention of a fit and proper person test in any of today's media.

Spiers, English and the usual suspects must have overlooked this. No?

So how long is it going to take the SFA to undertake the fit and proper person test?

And, goodness me, I see no mention of a fit and proper person test in any of today's media.

Spiers, English and the usual suspects must have overlooked this. No?

It is not the remit of the SFA to conduct a fit and proper person test.

Statement on the club website:

NEW non-executive director and acting Chairman David Somers has this afternoon released the following statement.

He said: “It is a huge honour and privilege to be appointed acting Chairman and non-executive Director of Rangers Football Club. “I know from my visits to Ibrox Stadium – including a number of Champions League games I attended in the past – that the Club has a tremendous fan base.

“Ally McCoist has the players performing well on the pitch so my task now is to strengthen the Board to the level that Rangers Football Club deserves.

“This 141-year-old institution is on the road to recovery and I will do everything in my power to help take this great club back to the very top of Scottish football where it belongs.

“I have a strong background in finance and corporate governance and while there are challenges ahead I am confident they can be overcome and Rangers can rise again.

“Rangers is a global brand and I would urge everyone associated with the club – players, staff, sponsors and most importantly our supporters – to pull together and help take the club forward.

“Ally McCoist and his squad have enjoyed a positive start to the season and we are in a terrific position at the top of the league.

“My priority is to help oversee the recruitment process for a high-calibre Chief Executive and further independent non-executive Directors to strengthen the Board and provide long-term stability for Rangers.

“The Club has confirmed it will hold its Annual General Meeting on Thursday 19 December and we hope to make significant progress before that date.

“I appreciate some supporters have been unhappy with events at the Club in recent weeks and months.

"However, I have taken the position of acting Chairman and non-executive Director as I believe this Club has a bright future and we can achieve great things if we all work together for the good of Rangers.

“It should not be about individuals, it is the Club that is important and I hope everyone with Rangers’ best interests at heart can work together in order to take us forward.”