New Rangers chairman David Somers has turned his fire on the ‘Gang of Four’ trying to shake up the Ibrox boardroom — and urged shareholders to vote down their attempted rebellion.

Somers directly questioned the credentials of former chairman Malcolm Murray, ex-director Paul Murray, Alex Wilson and Scott Murdoch, the four ‘requisitioners’ seeking a place on the board.

In an attack immediately described as a ‘smokescreen’ by the Murray-led group, the chairman — promoted from interim to permanent just last week — expressed doubt over whether they had even filed the necessary paperwork needed for the AGM on December 19.

Arguing that they hadn’t obtained consent from the Stock Market or from the SFA, and that their nominations have not been properly proposed under the club’s own Articles of Association,

Somers said: ‘There can be no guarantee that each of these individuals will be found to be suitable to act as a director of the company or that the board would be able to function properly.’

Under the plan being fronted by Paul Murray, with help from Jim McColl, the current five-man board will have to stand for re-election at the AGM. If they are swept from power, the new men would take control.

A source close to Murray and McColl attacked Somers’ statement as ‘disgraceful’ and ‘a smokescreen using technicalities’, while confirming that all the nominations would be properly filed at least seven days before the AGM, as the rules dictate.

The decision by Somers to seek popular support ahead of the meeting is interesting, partly because many had assumed that the board already had more than enough votes to quash Murray and McColl.

Isle of Man-based hedge fund managers Laxey Partners, who increased their shareholding to over 11.5 per cent recently, pledged their support last week. That was considered to be enough to tip the balance against the requisitioners.

If Somers is chasing votes, though, it may suggest a recalculation of exactly what is needed in order to stave off a popular vote for wholesale change at the top.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist, meanwhile, has offered a positive assessment of new chief executive Graham Wallace, who saw the team win 3-0 at Arbroath on Monday night.

‘I’ve met Graham a couple of times now and things have gone very well,’ said McCoist. ‘We had our first meeting last Friday at Ibrox. I then got a phone call from him saying he had changed his diary and he was coming up to the Arbroath game.

‘That was great. He came along to the hotel, we had a cup of tea and I introduced him to the players.

‘It was very positive and the meetings we’ve had so far have been encouraging. He seems to be a football man, which I have to tell you I’m thrilled about.

‘Graham’s CV is as good as anybody’s. He’s Scottish, so he certainly knows Rangers, and I don’t have any doubt he knows what is required here to take the club back to the top.

‘The most important thing is the club. Our relationship is very important and, from speaking to Graham, all the indications are he’s very aware of the problems we’ve had in the past.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2514148/Rangers-chairman-David-Somers-hits-Ibrox-Gang-Four.html#ixzz2lpwVTcpS

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I am really quite astonished by his comments. In his position either shut up, or alternatively put out the olive branch by way of a conciliatory statement. I had been quite encouraged by his, and Wallace's appointments and had the requisitioners come out and said that these were their nominees for Chairman and CEO, I would have been supportive. However, when I hear statements like this (and Bill McMurdo's blog this morning) it just infuriates me as there is absolutely no need for it. We have plenty of external enemies and yet we focus all of our energy and attention on fighting amongst ourselves. I am really getting despondent about our ability to get the club back on an even keel.

Unnecessary statement from Somers. Confused by the bit where he says that there can be no guarantee that each of these individuals will be found to be suitable to act as a director of the company. The no guarantee applies to everyone, including Somers himself. What about Stockbridge? Has he proved suitable? Hope that I am wrong but Somers could be a puppet on a string.

Before anyone goes off the deep end against Mr Somers, its worth noting that this isn't a "statement" form Mr Somers......it has obviously been written, possible on the back of an interview, with only one quote from Mr Somers:

Somers said: ‘There can be no guarantee that each of these individuals will be found to be suitable to act as a director of the company or that the board would be able to function properly.’

Also, note that there is not mention of what question was asked prior to the above quote.....

I think it is vital that the requisitioner's make it clear before the AGM, EXACTLY what they will bring to the Board (possibly what Mr Somers is getting at), rather than simply maintaining the "they're the bad guys....we're the good guys" stance.

Also, note from the article that the requisitioner's appear to rubbish Somer's claims that they haven't even filed the correct paperwork, then go on to confirm that this is indeed the case (at the moment).