RST buys 200,000 more shares (Via BuyRangers)

Positive stuff!

http://www.therst.co.uk/rst-share-purchase/

The Rangers Supporters Trust (RST) announces today that it now owns over half a million shares in the club and is aiming to take it’s community-owned shareholding over the million mark.

The RST has bought an additional 200,000 shares this week taking its shareholding to 557,856.

Commenting on the purchase, Trust Chairman Gordon Dinnie said – “It’s a tremendous achievement for our members to reach this level of ownership through our BuyRangers community share scheme. The next target for us is to own a million shares in the club.”

The BuyRangers funds have been boosted by the rolling out of a buy monthly scheme which enables fans to save into an account for as little as £12.84 monthly. Dinnie said “The addition of a direct debit option to BuyRangers will be a great help and enable us to buy more shares as and when they become available at a reasonable price.”

Following the IPO the RST was the 26th largest shareholder in the club this now takes us another step in the right direction, this latest purchase of shares demonstrates that fans have the ability to organise themselves properly and on a scale that can make a difference to the club.

I've mixed feelings about this. It's good that more shares are in the hands of the support, but it's frustrating to think that none of the cash spent on the shares goes to the club and it's therefore of no financial benefit to the club.

About £50-60k is a bit of a drop in the ocean for the club finances anyway. I do think it's important that more shares are in the hands of fans and ironically this is a far cheaper way than a share issue.

We are not in the position to think that £60K is a drop in the ocean and it's better in the club's hands than a faceless shareholder's.

I wasn't referring to a share issue. It's possible for there to be a mechanism for unissued shares from the last share issue to be issued. It was done when the RST's Gersave payment was made. It would need the club to do it and it's probably too late now, so outside of the RST's control.

Another option is to hold onto the cash at the moment, waiting for the next share issue, which many are saying will happen in the near future.

We are not in the position to think that £60K is a drop in the ocean and it's better in the club's hands than a faceless shareholder's.

I wasn't referring to a share issue. It's possible for there to be a mechanism for unissued shares from the last share issue to be issued. It was done when the RST's Gersave payment was made. It would need the club to do it and it's probably too late now, so outside of the RST's control.

Another option is to hold onto the cash at the moment, waiting for the next share issue, which many are saying will happen in the near future.

There aren't any unissued shares.

This is good news. Well done to the RST board, and long may it continue.

Agree with Bluedell on the mixed feelings aspect with the money not going directly into the Club, but I still think it's commendable of the Trust to be taking action and buying some more shares in the market while the price is low.

It doesn't make much sense to me to buy small numbers of shares in the market, but the likes of the Trust buying a large block of 200k for a low price does make sense to me.

I also find the timing of this purchase quite interesting from various viewpoints because significantly boosting their shareholding is a good PR move from the Trust at a time when it's been coming under quite heavy fire again recently.

I'm sure it's also no coincidence that such a large purchase of shares has been made and announced by the Trust a couple of days before the SDS CIC meeting that's been such a hot/heated topic over the past week or so.