Keith Jackson: Time has come for Dave King to prove his worth

There was a quote from a SARS spokesperson at the time saying that they were watching him like a hawk for any evidence of him trying to get round his investment ban and if he was caught doing so it would prejudice his whole case , Frankie.

People were watching Craig Whyte like a hawk too.

I've no doubt if King wanted to invest into the IPO he would have done so by some means.

There was a quote from a SARS spokesperson at the time saying that they were watching him like a hawk for any evidence of him trying to get round his investment ban and if he was caught doing so it would prejudice his whole case , Frankie.

Yeah I think he could have like Frankie says but it would have been crazy to do so. If his mother suddenly bought rangers says would have gone nuts.

There are a lot of adages like 'now or never', 'walk the walk', 'piss or get off the potty' etc being used (all of which I agree with incidentally). The only thing that keeps coming into my head though is - what can he do if the current board and the 'main investors' are all just part of a grand plan than was hatched previously by people no longer the face of the board e.g. Green. If they really batten down the hatches for the long haul is there much Dave King can do to breach it, even with all his wealth.

I'm not saying there isn't but I would be delighted if someone with a better commercial\corporate head than mine could throw a few possible scenarios my way that would give me hope that the 'Easdale barricade' can be breached by Dave King. I would love some hope.

There are a lot of adages like 'now or never', 'walk the walk', 'piss or get off the potty' etc being used (all of which I agree with incidentally). The only thing that keeps coming into my head though is - what can he do if the current board and the 'main investors' are all just part of a grand plan than was hatched previously by people no longer the face of the board e.g. Green. If they really batten down the hatches for the long haul is there much Dave King can do to breach it, even with all his wealth.

I'm not saying there isn't but I would be delighted if someone with a better commercial\corporate head than mine could throw a few possible scenarios my way that would give me hope that the 'Easdale barricade' can be breached by Dave King. I would love some hope.

With fan backing he can force change. Without it nothing will ever change.

I've no doubt if King wanted to invest into the IPO he would have done so by some means.

I don't think he could have taken that risk (even though I don't think that was his only reason). His fight with SARS didn't remain a 'war of attrition' until the last. He adopted a very conciliatory approach with them towards the end of the case as he needed closure of a kind. That required SARS to reciprocate, but they would only do that if they could see he genuinely wanted to co-operate at last, which required a level of trust. They were aware of his mother's 'wealth' in past investigations for example. To take such a risk, either via his mother or another proxy, could have potentially blown his SARS closure completely to pieces.

He is now clear to do things properly, but will he get the chance?

Paranoia first, I don't recall anyone slamming Fergus for taking a few years to step in when Timothy was a shambles. I can vividly recall many, many years of pleasure watching the East End Embarrassment staggering around like a drunk in a Parkhead slopshop; their rescue was neither fast nor clean.

How he does it and how long it took him will be minor side issues if he, along with the fans, can get a sane operation running inside Ibrox. Like Anchorman, though, I fear those in power (who, as you will know, I consider to be agents of darker forces) will prove mighty hard to shift.

Finally, a word for poor Zappa. Yesterday he had his beloved Frank lumped in with Buddy Holly, today an Elvis reference. He must love being in with the Old Folks' Loyal...I'm off to wind up me gramophone and put on some Mario Lanza 78's.

Edited by andy steel

As Frankie said previously the 120 days and the season ticket renewals don't clash immediately there will be a period of time between both events , hopefully in that time there can be some sort of agreement going forward by both parties , whether its another share issue I don't know.

Been told to expect renewal forms a lot earlier a lot earlier than is the norm so there may just be some sort of overlap.

I do know the club will be announcing a new membership scheme with Mark Hately leading a board of approx 12 fans but when this is going to happen I'm not 100% on , but what ever happens it needs sorted out asap and definetly before this time next year.

This is something that cannot be rushed as there will only be one shot to get ut right, it has to be at arms length enough from the club to be seen as independent from the club yet at the same time be close enough to the club as to have some influence that's not an easy balance to strike. We really need such a scheme to work and work well.