Rangers kids must blank out Ibrox flak

RANGERS midfielder Ian Black today claimed the Ibrox club's fans are making it harder for them to win games.

But he predicted the Gers can still win the William Hill Scottish Cup despite failing to beat part-time Albion Rovers at home.

Black and his team mates struggled to earn a 1-1 draw against the Cliftonhill club in the quarter-final on Sunday afternoon.

And the 28-year-old has stated that Light Blues fans giving their own players stick made their task even more demanding.

But he believes the Rangers players have to learn how to handle the flak that flies in their direction at home.

Black said: "There are still a lot of kids in the squad who sometimes can't handle the crowd when they get on your back.

"They've just got to blank it out and try to concentrate on their own game and not let it affect them.

"It doesn't matter how well you are doing - there's always going to be someone putting you down. Over the course of my career, it's made me stronger.

"It's hard to ignore it at times, but you've got to shut it out. The fans pay their money to watch and have the right to say what they want.

"Sometimes they don't help us by getting on our backs. Even when you are winning, some aren't happy.

"But they've got their opinion and are allowed to say it. It's up to us to keep them happy."

Black added: "It's a weird one. You get a big crowd and if you are doing well, sometimes you don't even hear it. You're too concentrated on the game.

"You only hear it when possession stops or the ball's out of play or someone is injured. That's the only time you take in what's going on.

"It's just about focusing on the game as much as possible and trying to blank out what is being said.

"The majority of the time the game's going on, you don't hear the crowd. It's just a case of getting the young boys to learn to switch off and focus on the game."

However, Black is adamant that Ally McCoist's side can win the replay with James Ward's team at New Douglas Park, Hamilton, next Monday night - the clash is being screened live on Sky Sports - and then land the Scottish Cup.

If they overcome their Coatbridge rivals they will play SPFL Premiership club Dundee United in the semi-final at Ibrox on Saturday, April 12, with the match also live on Sky Sports at 12.45pm.

After their dire display against Rovers at the weekend few punters would bet on them progressing to the final at Parkhead in May.

But Black said: "It is a cup game, it is a one-off. If we beat Rovers in the replay, I am more than confident we can take anybody on our day.

"Everybody has a bad day. People talk about us, but Celtic have had bad days. They played Morton in the cup and lost and everybody slaughtered them for two days in the papers.

"We are getting it now. People are slaughtering us for not beating them (Rovers). But you have to give them credit and respect as well. We are happy with the way we are going."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-kids-must-blank-out-ibrox-flak-155306n.23655110

Practice free kicks, work harder, play with tempo...Not be tired in a game v Albion Rovers...oh Ian, the list goes on and on.

I'd also want our club not to buy ignorant, petulant, cowardly thugs with unfounded arrogant attitudes. Tokely, Dods and Black = Inverness's destroyers of the beautiful game.

To be fair though, he'll only be repeating what is commonly felt in the dressing room. I think Black's comments above are shared by the squad and the management staff. Ally is forever saying that the "lads have been tremendous", "today was a blip but these boys are unbeaten in the league, they've been wonderful"

Ian Black should be counting his lucky stars he has somehow found himself at a club like ours. Mind you, you could say the same about a lot of players we've signed in the past 10 years.

I don't think Black said all that much wrong but I think being a bit more humble with regard to the team's ongoing poor performances would have gone down a bit better than saying they're happy.

End of the day, we might win a league title on Wednesday and the chances are it will be at a far from full Ibrox. That's the legacy of Black.

I have to force my 12 yr old to come to games now because they are so bad to watch - we are in danger of turning away the next generation of fans, that's the legacy of Black.

Unlike the manager, he has no reservoir of affection from fans aged 35+ to assuage the disbelief at the dross we are serving up. But hey, he can lecture us because he knows better than we do. Normally I'd say pro players do know better than us, but in this case, it's stretching a point to call Black a player and beyond parody to suggest he even approaches anything resembling professionalism. Where's that fixed odds coupon, again?

Having moaned about Rangers fans berating players in the past I have sat on my hands and glumly avoided shouting abuse when at the games, but boy will I be sorely tempted the next time Black misses a pass to a player three yards away, flies in to a pointess hack, or rolls about in agony when tackled only to recover a few seconds later.

I don't think I've ever disliked a Rangers player more.

Who are the kids he's referring to, by the way - Aird, yes, who else?

You would think the big team playing against the little team with 11 men behind the ball is some sort of novel concept. Not something that big teams all over the world contend with on a weekly basis. It didn't seem to cause us a problem under Dick Advocaat.

Black has a nerve talking about 11 men behind the ball when you look at our tactics at corners.

IAN BLACK says he wants to help Rangers clinch the League One title for the supporters tomorrow night and insists he wasn't having a pop at fans as was suggested in a number of newspaper reports today.

Black, who was promoting a BT event at Hampden yesterday and was happy to speak to the media, accepts criticism of the 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers at the weekend but is adamant he wasn't having a go at supporters.

He told rangers.co.uk: "The point I was trying to make was that I understand their frustration at the weekend's result but we can help them forget that result by winning the league at Ibrox tomorrow night.

"The fans have been amazing this season and have supported the team in huge numbers at Ibrox and in away games.

"I was not slamming fans as some headlines suggested today and I want to make that clear. I appreciate the Albion Rovers result was not what we wanted but we are still in the Scottish Cup and we are determined to do better in next week's replay.

"Tomorrow night we have the chance to win the title if we beat Airdrie at Ibrox and all the players and staff want to do that for the supporters. We are still unbeaten in the league and we want to win trophies for the fans. Winning silverware is the most important thing.

"We know performances could be better and we accept fair criticism. It was the same when Morton beat Celtic in the League Cup and Motherwell lost to Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup, criticism is part of the game and we have to handle that.

"We have the chance to win the title tomorrow night on home soil and all the players are determined to do that for the fans.

"I am sure Ibrox will be packed for the Airdrie game and the players are all eager to get the result and wrap up the championship."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6481-black-i-understand-frustration

I don't think Black said all that much wrong but I think being a bit more humble with regard to the team's ongoing poor performances would have gone down a bit better than saying they're happy.

Did you hear the interview last night or are you going by the newspaper article? I know it's my own fault for listening to that station, but I thought his attitude came across as anything but humble. When he was saying '"what more do they want" I felt he was biting his tongue. He actually came across like he wanted to tell us to shut the fuck up. He basically came across as stating that the players feel they've done their job if they just get us over the line, and that entertainment is not really on their radar. Also that we should be thankful.

So Mr Black.....what the big plan then??? When are the performances gonna get better???

We hear this line all too often from the players & the management. Rather than constantly saying what EVERYONE knows, how about just going out & doing it???