IAN BLACK says he wants to help Rangers clinch the League One title for the supporters tomorrow night and insists he wasn't having a pop at fans as was suggested in a number of newspaper reports today.

Black, who was promoting a BT event at Hampden yesterday and was happy to speak to the media, accepts criticism of the 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers at the weekend but is adamant he wasn't having a go at supporters.

He told rangers.co.uk: "The point I was trying to make was that I understand their frustration at the weekend's result but we can help them forget that result by winning the league at Ibrox tomorrow night.

"The fans have been amazing this season and have supported the team in huge numbers at Ibrox and in away games.

"I was not slamming fans as some headlines suggested today and I want to make that clear. I appreciate the Albion Rovers result was not what we wanted but we are still in the Scottish Cup and we are determined to do better in next week's replay.

"Tomorrow night we have the chance to win the title if we beat Airdrie at Ibrox and all the players and staff want to do that for the supporters. We are still unbeaten in the league and we want to win trophies for the fans. Winning silverware is the most important thing.

"We know performances could be better and we accept fair criticism. It was the same when Morton beat Celtic in the League Cup and Motherwell lost to Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup, criticism is part of the game and we have to handle that.

"We have the chance to win the title tomorrow night on home soil and all the players are determined to do that for the fans.

"I am sure Ibrox will be packed for the Airdrie game and the players are all eager to get the result and wrap up the championship."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6481-black-i-understand-frustration

He's had his arse kicked! That is not what he said on radio last night.

Is the football any worse than in the first half of the 80's? That's what I saw as a kid and additionally there was only one ball and no pass-back rule and ploughed fields as pitches. I did have a nice seat though so was never really introduced to standing at Ibrox.

Did you hear the interview last night or are you going by the newspaper article? I know it's my own fault for listening to that station, but I thought his attitude came across as anything but humble. When he was saying '"what more do they want" I felt he was biting his tongue. He actually came across like he wanted to tell us to shut the fuck up. He basically came across as stating that the players feel they've done their job if they just get us over the line, and that entertainment is not really on their radar. Also that we should be thankful.

No, I'm only going on the various interviews I've read this morning so happy to concede my perception of his words could be slewed.

Is the football any worse than in the first half of the 80's? That's what I saw as a kid and additionally there was only one ball and no pass-back rule and ploughed fields as pitches. I did have a nice seat though so was never really introduced to standing at Ibrox.

Not quite, but almost. We had Davie Cooper and when he felt like it could change a game from dross to dreamland in a minute. But if we were in the top league (maybe even the one above us just now) we might be back in the 80's groove.

Ibrox was never a ploughed field that I can recall, mind you. Our groundsman and St Johnstone's, when they played at Muirton, generally were considered the creme de la creme. Or was it Killie? Might have been Killie.

There again, the style of opposition play will change a bit in the next leagues and that might help. But that's straw clutching time, really.

Not quite, but almost. We had Davie Cooper and when he felt like it could change a game from dross to dreamland in a minute. But if we were in the top league (maybe even the one above us just now) we might be back in the 80's groove.

Ibrox was never a ploughed field that I can recall, mind you. Our groundsman and St Johnstone's, when they played at Muirton, generally were considered the creme de la creme. Or was it Killie? Might have been Killie.

There again, the style of opposition play will change a bit in the next leagues and that might help. But that's straw clutching time, really.

The point was that it didn't put me off - or thousands of others who have since watched much worse supporting other clubs without even the consolation usually winning. Just how do you become an Albion Rovers fan then?

There is also the part to play where Kids are very impressionable, and if all the adults around them are moaning about what a crap game it is, they are never going to enjoy it, or get into it.

Maybe I was sheltered from the poor games by the fact that I mostly watched Rangers highlights which lasted about half an hour every week. Probably the best way to enjoy football but sadly never available these days. You get the whole match or 1 to 3 minutes of highlights now.

I seen a few live games a year and for me that was a treat and so I breathed in every minute of it. I even remember my first game was a turgid one against Aberdeen. We scored early on and all I wanted was for the final whistle to blow after that. Nothing much else happened and we won 1-0 but I was chuffed to bits.

I don't think Black said all that much wrong but I think being a bit more humble with regard to the team's ongoing poor performances would have gone down a bit better than saying they're happy.

Well, certain factions would have given him flak nonetheless. The point he makes is quite valid though: they didn't perform up to their own standard last week, but still dominated Albion to their hearts' content, had 30odd shots on goal and on any other day we might have got 4 or 5 goals. We ended up playing against brick walls for most games these last two years and this season we've done rather well, even though that kind of football is sure not something that is easy to the eye. "Easy to the eye" will not feature in record books though.

Well, certain factions would have given him flak nonetheless. The point he makes is quite valid though: they didn't perform up to their own standard last week, but still dominated Albion to their hearts' content, had 30odd shots on goal and on any other day we might have got 4 or 5 goals. We ended up playing against brick walls for most games these last two years and this season we've done rather well, even though that kind of football is sure not something that is easy to the eye. "Easy to the eye" will not feature in record books though.

This makes me want to cry.

Did you hear him last night on the radio?

30 plus shots on goal? :facepalm: I'd love to know what constitutes a 'shot' for those stats.

Dominated Albion till our hearts content? Really? No really? They kept us exactly where they wanted us. Don't you get they gave us the territory knowing we would do nothing with it other than lump high balls at a 6'5" keeper?

On any other day we might have got 4 or 5 goals. - Tell that to all the fans sitting around me who were screaming blue murder that we could play all night and never score.

I give up.

This makes me want to cry.

Did you hear him last night on the radio?

30 plus shots on goal? :facepalm: I'd love to know what constitutes a 'shot' for those stats.

Dominated Albion till our hearts content? Really? No really? They kept us exactly where they wanted us. Don't you get they gave us the territory knowing we would do nothing with it other than lump high balls at a 6'5" keeper?

On any other day we might have got 4 or 5 goals. - Tell that to all the fans sitting around me who were screaming blue murder that we could play all night and never score.

I give up.

I wouldn't bother.