Rangers manager Ally McCoist promised Dundee United a tough encounter in the Scottish Cup semi-final after his side saw off Albion Rovers 2-0 .

On 12 April, the Ibrox men host Jackie McNamara's side, who beat the Glasgow team 3-0 in last season's competition.

He said: "We definitely feel that we have a better side with better players.

"That said, you could argue that Dundee United have a better team this year, so there are a lot of questions that won't be answered until the game."

Goals from Fraser Aird and Jon Daly secured Rangers place in the last four after the replay at New Douglas Park.

With Hampden being redeveloped for the Commonwealth Games, the Scottish FA in October chose Rangers' stadium to host the semi-final and had refused United's request to have the tie moved should the Glasgow side reach the last four.

"Their boys play in big stadiums all over," said McCoist. "The majority of boys in their side have played in semi-finals and even some of them played in finals and won.

"So I don't think the Ibrox factor would faze them."

The former Light-blues striker thought it will be difficult to pick a winner, with neither side an outright favourite.

"I don't know," said McCoist when asked to choose a favourite. "I probably would think United, with the experience they have got playing at the top level.

"They have younger boys, but they do play at that level on a regular basis and they have a good record in the Cup against us in the last couple of years.

"But the reason I don't know is that I don't think it will matter. I don't think the significance of being favourites or underdogs will matter that much."

McCoist stressed that last season he had a hastily built squad following Rangers' financial problems.

"Look at the team we had last year, the way the team was put together and the pre-season we had," he said. "But it was a disappointing result and a disappointing performance.

"It was a really poor start to the game, but that won't have any bearing on the next game."

The Rangers manager was delighted that his side had improved on the performance in the first game against the Wee Rovers.

"It has been a good run to the semi-final so far," added McCoist.

"So it is a real boost for everybody to get the chance to play in the semi-final.

"The main task is done. We got through to the semi-final, which we will look forward to.

"Getting the first goal was a big thing for us. It was a great finish by young Airdy and we were obviously delighted to get a second one and that took the pressure off a little bit."

Yep Ally, full pre-season this year, good winning momentum at the moment, settled team by the looks of it. Now just 'go for it' in this game. There would be nothing worse going out of this tie at a wimper. If we give all and play fast attacking football but go out I would accept it as it gives a measure as to where we are but going out in poor fashion just turns attention onto Ally's ability to put a good team out again.

JACKIE McNAMARA insists Dundee United deserve a 50-50 ticket split to make their Scottish Cup semi-final with Rangers fairer.

But the Tannadice boss believes his side will be at a disadvantage regardless of their allocation after the SFA refused to change the venue from Ibrox.

Gers set up a semi with the Taysiders next month after seeing off Albion Rovers at the second attempt last night.

But a row had been sparked before then with United chairman Stephen Thompson having a request for a change of venue rejected.

Now United will turn their attention to the ticket allocation – with the club believed to be receiving around 13,000 which is 7000 short of what they had hoped for.

The SFA said no issues were raised by clubs when informed that Ibrox, which has a capacity of 51,082, would host the semis back in October.

But McNamara can’t understand why such an early decision was taken with the prospect of Gers being in the last four.

Parkhead could have been an option with Celtic out of the Cup and McNamara said: “There’s no doubt we’re at a disadvantage because it’s Rangers’ stadium.

“It would be the same if it was at Tannadice because we know the stadium and the pitch. They have an advantage regardless of the ticket allocation but a 50-50 split would certainly give us a better chance.

“I’d like to think we could take half. We’ve had good backing from the fans. It’s a neutral venue so I don’t see why we shouldn’t get half.

“I just think that, like most people, I’m surprised the decision for the semi-final venue was made so early.

“Had it been Celtic who got to the semi-final what would they have done? Kept it at Ibrox and split the allocation?

“Could they have changed our semi to Parkhead? Possibly but we knew the situation before the draw and have enough time to prepare.

“We’ll wait and see what the allocation is now that we know who we’re playing. Whatever the decision we won’t use it to motivate the players as if it’s some type of injustice.

“The chance to play Rangers at Ibrox to get into a final is motivation enough. The venue might give Rangers an advantage but it doesn’t change anything for the players or myself.”

The Old Firm have met in semi-finals at both Ibrox and Parkhead – and on those occasions there was a 50-50 split.

In the 1993-94 League Cup, a toss of a coin by assistant managers Archie Knox and Joe Jordan saw Ibrox land the tie and Mark Hateley scored the only goal to win it for Rangers.

Gers then won 2-1 at Parkhead in the 1998 Scottish Cup thanks to goals from Ally McCoist and Jorg Albertz.

Meanwhile, McNamara is set for his own meeting with the SFA just two days before the semi-final after being cited for his spat with St Johnstone gaffer Tommy Wright.

The pair were sent to the stand as Saints won at Tannadice last week and McNamara said: “There was frustration on the night but I spoke to Tommy in my office and there were no problems.

“Tommy’s a nice guy. I get on great with him.”

McNamara has urged striker Nadir Ciftci to stop getting on the wrong side of officials.

The Turk hit the winning goal as United came from 2-0 down to beat St Mirren on Saturday but was booked for going to the fans.

Ciftci was cautioned for the same offence in the Scottish Cup win over Inverness and McNamara said: “He’s got to stop it.

“Nadir’s now suspended and that’s the disappointing thing.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-botched-semi-final-job-given-3254908

I listened last night as Jackie wheezed and whined on Sky 3, script provided by Jum Spence. When he said the Rangers/Dundee United semi-final at Ibrox was unprecedented, David Tanner reminded him of the semi-final between ra Yahoos and Rangers at ra Stydome in '98, Jackie replied, "ah was injured"; then recovered with rapier sharpness, "we won the league that season and stopped ten-in-a-row".

Over the next month, the usual suspects will whip up the level of threat being faced by Arabs. It will be vague, unquantifiable, and most sinister. It will range from being shouted at from across a daylight street to ............................... eh that's it. Remember, Jum has informed the BBC Radio Scotland listenership that his Chairman will NOT sit in the Ibrox Directors' Box, because he probably feels threatened by certain Rangers Directors.

Hugh Keevins: Why Dundee United are making a big mistake moaning about their Scottish Cup semi against Rangers

HUGH says that United have every right to demand a fair split in the ticket allocation but are on dangerous ground complaining about the venue.

TIMING is everything in this game. So it’s hard to fathom why Dundee United have waited until now to make a song and dance about playing Rangers at Ibrox in their Scottish Cup semi-final.

The opportunity to raise a complaint about the venue was when the decision to allocate Ibrox both semis was originally made known. Not now.

Tannadice chairman Stephen Thompson and boss Jackie McNamara have now managed to make it sound as if they have misgivings about their chances of winning at Ibrox.

Rather than saying nothing at all and trusting their much-praised young side to go there and prove their worth.

It’s not as if United haven’t done it before, and recently, against Ally McCoist’s team in the Scottish Cup.

But Jackie says there’s “no doubt” United are at a disadvantage having to play on Rangers’ home ground.

Why is that?

When Rangers return to the top flight United won’t go to Ibrox for every league game assuming they’re beaten before a ball is kicked.

Why should it be any different in the Cup next month?

Particularly when Rangers’ last experience of playing at home in the Cup resulted in the embarrassing sight of them being taken to a replay by a fatigued League Two side in Albion Rovers.

United’s argument also becomes convoluted when Jackie asks what the authorities would have done if it had been Celtic who had made the semi-final against Rangers.

They didn’t, which makes that argument redundant other than it raising the question of ticket allocation.

The SPFL have just finished making an inflexible mess of segregating Celtic Park for the League Cup Final.

They left unsold seats that would have been snapped up by Aberdeen supporters who wanted to see the showpiece game with Inverness Caley Thistle on Sunday.

The SFA have allowed Ibrox to be split down the middle for Old Firm cup ties more than once.

A precedent has been set and if you can equally divide those two factions without causing alarm you can accommodate Rangers and Dundee United fans on a half-and-half basis.

The size of the Aberdeen support in Glasgow was a healthy reminder that the game here isn’t in the early stages of rigor mortis, as some would have you believe.

If Dundee United believe they can bring 20,000 supporters to Glasgow then let them be given the opportunity to prove they are as good as their word.

It would be another timely boost to the game’s self-confidence if they sold their allocation.

And it would do the occasion itself no harm to have a partisan audience split down the middle in terms of numbers.

United’s chairman should pursue that issue all the way and refuse to be put off by the old argument about the size of his average league attendance.

If people want to go to a one-off game, as opposed to having a slavish devotion to their favourite team, that’s their business. And it is the chairman’s job to look after their interests.

The last time United put Rangers out of the Scottish Cup at Ibrox, in 2012, the ground was half empty. But had Rangers won, their fans would have expected the lion’s share of the ticket allocation if they had made it to the Final at Hampden.

United should pursue parity over tickets and stop talking about the venue as if it was the Coliseum and they were about to be mauled in front of a crowd baying for blood.

After all, United’s manager is the one who looks like the baby-faced assassin.

Shug's sounding pretty even-handed these days.

Given the climate were operating in, and given the Word Police, I'd better add that McNamara is sounding very, very ****y.

I never really thought that he was one of the ****y ones.