Wallace Plans Early Budget for McCoist

We don't need to spend because we're Rangers. We need to spend because we're pretty shite. Think about what you're saying. A club with 36k book holders too skint to buy a single player? I dread to think of Jig playing centre half next season, a year older and against better strikers.

We're playing in the second tier of Scottish football next season and already have a bloated wage bill. Any money Ally gets will likely be squandered. We are also financially in a mess.

If we are as poor as you suggest, should we not be tackling the problem head on IE replacing the management and coaching staff? Rather than throwing more money at the situation?

We have players leaving at the end of contract and so if we keep the budget the same, we should have room from the savings to recruit a few players. I think we'll be mostly looking at freebies but a small fee could be feasible if it fits in the budget - for the right player.

I think people forget that most of the players we've recruited in the last few years have been cheap or free and just happen to be available at the time - and they had to be players who were willing to drop the divisions which means we probably didn't really get value for money as they would need to be well compensated.

We haven't really been able to pick the "right" players, it's more like bargain bin raking with whatever you can find. With no transfer ban we should really have been in a position to widen our scope, but the abysmal financial results don't look like they'll allow it.

At least with only a possible one year away from the SPL, it will be easier to recruit players from that division or equivalent.

It's quite simple.

If there is no investment - there will not and cannot be a budget. In fact the squad and staff numbers should be cut.

If there is investment - then the budget should be enough to bring in one or two players but only if more leave and if the new players are of better quality than the existing.

As it stands Simonsen, MacAusland, Cribari, Perry, Smith, Crawford, Hutton, Peralta and Shiels are all surplus to requirements.

We're playing in the second tier of Scottish football next season and already have a bloated wage bill. Any money Ally gets will likely be squandered. We are also financially in a mess.

If we are as poor as you suggest, should we not be tackling the problem head on IE replacing the management and coaching staff? Rather than throwing more money at the situation?

Our player wage bill isn't bloated. It's actually the lowest it's ever been in recent history. Our income may also be reduced, but not as much as our wage and transfer budget has. I'm sure we'll have quality applicants lining up for a job with zero budget, and an expectation to piss the league, win every game, and get to a cup final or two.

Don't let your dislike of Ally as a manager blind you to the facts. He's the most under-funded manager in our history, with the worst squad we've had in more than 20 years.

We must've wasted a few million? on the managers and coaching staff wages winning these 2 lower leagues!

I still can't believe how much they've been paid (especially last season) and not much really has been said about it.

Virtually anyone could've done what they have on much less wages, along with the money they've spent on duds brought in it's no wonder we have lost/are losing cash!

I have no doubt we could get in a better manager and coaching staff than we have now on much less wages, they might even try and play football once in a while.....:)

No team in the championship including Hearts won't be wishing they had our squad, that's the bottom line.

I don't want to seem like I'm always chasing McCoist but if we can't go up comfortably next season it's not because the players aren't good enough.

As it stands Simonsen, MacAusland, Cribari, Perry, Smith, Crawford, Hutton, Peralta and Shiels are all surplus to requirements.

The alarming thing about that is 5 of that 9 were Ally signings and already they are not good enough.

To note a few:

- Cribari done a job last season but for the wages he is on he should still be playing and cruising this league, we shouldn't have needed Mohsni if he was half decent.

- Simonsen I'll assume isn;t on a lot of money but for the one game? we've needed him (ok it's a goalie gamble) we could have easily got by with Gallacher (but hey what a save from Bish, top top drawer, I'll remember him for that alone)

- Hutton - awful. Lazy. Slows the game down. Can't dictate.

- Peralta - just cut our losses and move on.

- Shiels is a player, and probably except Temps is the only guy in our squad with any creativity whatsoever but sadly he doesn't fit into Ally's style of play. The type of player who would flourish under a new manager IMO.

- Smith we all said at the time why, and I think we were all right.

I thought Shiels would be a great player for us but he's just not done it. The rest were/are squad fillers and the kind of expensive luxury we didn't and don't need - to that extent at least.

The alarming thing about that is 5 of that 9 were Ally signings and already they are not good enough.

To note a few:

- Cribari done a job last season but for the wages he is on he should still be playing and cruising this league, we shouldn't have needed Mohsni if he was half decent.

- Simonsen I'll assume isn;t on a lot of money but for the one game? we've needed him (ok it's a goalie gamble) we could have easily got by with Gallacher (but hey what a save from Bish, top top drawer, I'll remember him for that alone)

- Hutton - awful. Lazy. Slows the game down. Can't dictate.

- Peralta - just cut our losses and move on.

- Shiels is a player, and probably except Temps is the only guy in our squad with any creativity whatsoever but sadly he doesn't fit into Ally's style of play. The type of player who would flourish under a new manager IMO.

- Smith we all said at the time why, and I think we were all right.

As previously said, Ally's signings have been pretty much dumpster diving. When you remember that, his squad building hasn't been too bad, especially when looking at the results. The one game he has lost, he couldn't play his most recent signings which with the improved results from last year, suggests he's dramatically improved the squad despite no budget and a transfer embargo.

His only costly signings in the current squad are Wallace and Templeton. The former is one of our best players and the latter has shown flashes but has had injuries and temperament problems.

The signings this season have been Bell, Law, Daly, Clark, Peralta, Smith, Foster, Mohsni and Simonsen. Overall, with a couple of exceptions, I'd say they've been a reasonable success, especially when you take the difficult circumstances into account.

BTW Pretty much everyone wanted us to sign Mohsni during the pre-season, he was a stand out then that has proven to be inconsistent now.