RFC official: Wallace Injury Being Assessed

Monday, 07 April 2014 14:15

Wallace Injury Being Assessed

Written by Andrew Dickson

d4d55f7f6de352a1ab523242a95a71ca_XL.jpg

LEE WALLACE is being assessed this afternoon as Rangers try to determine what his chances of facing Dundee United in the Scottish Cup this weekend are.

The Scotland full-back was substituted in the second half of yesterday’s Ramsdens Cup final defeat to Raith Rovers at Easter Road with a hip flexor problem.

He had initially tried to play on after going down but ultimately had to be replaced by Sebastien Faure with 23 minutes of the regulation 90 remaining.

Wallace has been at the club’s Murray Park training base today receiving treatment and he hasn’t been ruled out of the game on Saturday.

But it’s remains to be seen just how likely he is to feature against the Arabs and that will become clearer as the game goes on.

Jon Daly, Ian Black and Nicky Law all played in Edinburgh despite being pre-match injury doubts and they each stayed on the park until the end of extra time.

While they went into the fixture without much training between them in the day building up to the game, they appear to have come through unscathed.

Elsewhere, David Templeton will step up his recovery from a groin strain suffered against Airdrie on March 12 this week.

He did some running with physio Stevie Walker in the early part of last week but wasn’t fit enough to make the squad in Leith.

Andy Little also missed out but he’s working hard to try to get himself in a position where he could participate against the Tannadice outfit.

Speaking yesterday on RangersTV, the Northern Ireland international said: “I really don’t know if I’ll make it yet but it would be great if I could.

“It’s a cliché but I’m taking things day by day. I had a good week last week and I’m going to try again to run at the start of this week.

“We’ll see how that goes. I don’t know either way at the moment but hopefully I can play a part.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6701-wallace-injury-being-assessed

Wallace's level of performance has been as poor as everyone else's of late. Has looked totally disinterested for the last month or two in particular.

Without trying to turn this into a "reasons why McCoist is not the man" thread, the above is a massive indicator of the management teams ability. Wallace is different from your Ian Black's etc in that he is a dedicated professional and a very motivated one at that. For him to lose his way is disturbing.

I can only speculate but given Lee's public desire to get into coaching and management it's unlikely that he's lost interest in the game or the club but in the style of play and possibly lost confidence in those around him. How many times did he rampage up the flank in the first half of the season, making things happen only for the ball to be given away and for him to have to charge back into position?

Without trying to turn this into a "reasons why McCoist is not the man" thread, the above is a massive indicator of the management teams ability. Wallace is different from your Ian Black's etc in that he is a dedicated professional and a very motivated one at that. For him to lose his way is disturbing.

I can only speculate but given Lee's public desire to get into coaching and management it's unlikely that he's lost interest in the game or the club but in the style of play and possibly lost confidence in those around him. How many times did he rampage up the flank in the first half of the season, making things happen only for the ball to be given away and for him to have to charge back into position?

I don't know the reasons mate but his performances have been poor and his work-rate less than impressive. While there may well be underlying reasons for that (e.g. confidence, fitness, coaching), sometimes it's OK just to say Joe Bloggs is playing crap and leave the responsibility solely with the player for a change.

Wallace has had plenty of praise and no-one said that was because of the manager and/or his team-mates. The same should happen with criticism.

I don't know the reasons mate but his performances have been poor and his work-rate less than impressive. While there may well be underlying reasons for that (e.g. confidence, fitness, coaching), sometimes it's OK just to say Joe Bloggs is playing crap and leave the responsibility solely with the player for a change.

Wallace has had plenty of praise and no-one said that was because of the manager and/or his team-mates. The same should happen with criticism.

That is true, there are positives if you look hard enough but I'd be more inclined to feel that with Wallace, his good spells are down to his obvious class plus being involved with the Scotland squad early on albeit briefly and there being a league yet to win. They're all bound to take a dip once the title's sewn up but surely a cup final (even the Ramsdens) would provide a wee bit of stimulus?

McCoist is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, but that's the nature of the beast.

Given his recent form he will be a minimal loss. Put Smith left back, job done. Get on with it. So overrated by our fanbase.

Can't agree with that.

I'd take an off form Wallace over Smith every day of the week.

I don't remember an incident that would get Wallace injured on Sunday. Perhaps he's been carrying a niggle for a while. He certainly doesn't seem like a player to down tools for any reason. I have a theory that more than a few of the players are just going through the motions since the pay reduction fiasco, but I don't think Wallace would be one of them.

All these niggling injuries to our better players have shown how weak our squad really is. A club of our size shouldn't have a single player on the park that isn't 100% fit.

Edited by TheTinMan99