Croatia did ok, little more.

They didn't have the quality up front to take full advantage of their 'moments'.

Their 'moments' were restricted and this against a poorish Brazil who didn't get into 4th gear.

If Mexico are any good they'll finish in front of the Croats.

They will have Mandzukic for the next game, one of the top strikers in the world.

And I will bet you this empty bottle of coke in front of me that Croatia will not finish below Mexico, no chance.

They will have Mandzukic for the next game, one of the top strikers in the world.

And I will bet you this empty bottle of coke in front of me that Croatia will not finish below Mexico, no chance.

A fit Mandzukic will certainly improve them and as for Mexico, as indicated my remark was 'blind' in that I don't know what kind of team they have....but if it's as competitive as recent WC's they'll more than give Croatia a game.

All referees can make blunders and err under pressure in the same way as players do, just less often. The ref last night wasn't great, but the penalty apart, neither team benefitted. I can think of three howlers off the top of my head that were by officials from major footballing nations.

Howard Webb in the 2010 final not giving de Jong a red for his Cantona tackle.

The disallowed Lampard goal in the same year was from a Uruguayan unit.

Graham Poll failing to send a Croatian off until he gave him his third yellow.

While I agree that all refs can make human errors, the chances of this happening at key points of big games are considerably increased when the ref is used to being in charge of two pub teams in a mickey mouse league in front of a few sheep or politely clapping spectators.

You cant really say "the penalty apart" because by its very nature the penalty was the key incident in the game and he got it spectacularly wrong. The second biggest point in the game was probably Naymar's elbow which he got wrong also. 2 big decisions to make during the game, and he got both wrong.

We could watch the games over the weekend and some top European refs may make the same blunders, but I would argue it is much less likely due to the experience they have of high pressure, high profile games.

While I agree that all refs can make human errors, the chances of this happening at key points of big games are considerably increased when the ref is used to being in charge of two pub teams in a mickey mouse league in front of a few sheep or politely clapping spectators.

You cant really say "the penalty apart" because by its very nature the penalty was the key incident in the game and he got it spectacularly wrong. The second biggest point in the game was probably Naymar's elbow which he got wrong also. 2 big decisions to make during the game, and he got both wrong.

We could watch the games over the weekend and some top European refs may make the same blunders, but I would argue it is much less likely due to the experience they have of high pressure, high profile games.

It would have taken a brave man to send the 'golden boy' off.

Put any 10 ten referees from Europe in those precise circumstances and I doubt even 2 of them would have reached for red.

However put the same 10 in the referees shoes at the 'penalty' incident and I doubt more than 1 of them would have given it.

Folks, since the tournament is under way and we're discussing the World Cup as opposed to Rangers, I've moved this thread into the Footie Chat forum section.

Steward's Enquiry perfectly right to be called for.

I'm sure that Zappa will instigate one immediately. After all, he hit full points last night too.

BACKGROUND TO ENQUIRY:

Gersnet Mini League:

Five on full points (3 points) as follows: Bluebear54; Ser Barristan Selmy; Steve1872; Time4Change; Zappa.

Full League:

Looks like 24,578 playing in all. I'm sitting in position 631, with 5111 having gained full points last night, so some competition

Brazilian Supporters League:

Must have just put me in automatically - not something I did intentionally - I'm sitting in 24th position.

All too early to call - the Spain match will sort more than a few tonight - as will the Cameroon match. AAMOI has anyone had a look at the more esoteric side of the rules? Think I'll have a wee look sometime today.

Good fun and games. and adds some zest to keeping up with the more turgid games.

Thanks for the update mate and congrats to all those who scored well last night! :party: