I watched most of Celtic's game tonight. I didn't see the first leg. How strange it was to see a Celtic team populated by names I didn't know and faces I didn't recognise.

To be fair, they had their moments and could have edged it, but Maribor had more guile and quality although it took them a while to threaten Celtic's goal.

Their manager - another face I struggled to recognise - will survive and he has an opportunity to put together a more effective side using his own methods and maybe with a few new faces of his own choosing coming in. He will have the advantage of being a league-winning manager in his first season so he has time to get things right and make improvements.

Individually, Celtic were down on quality compared to recent seasons and there were definitely a few weak links in tonight's line-up. Changes will have to be made - and with much less money than had probably been anticipated.

It will be interesting to see how Celtic fans react to this reverse. I believe they had 55,000 at Parkhead tonight which shows how hungry they are both for the CL and for competitive football.

They have another bore of a season to look forward to domestically now, so crowds will likely be disappointing. They at least have the Europa Cup to keep them sweet though - although hopefully for not too long.

That would be excellent!

There doesn't seem to be anything which would prevent it:

Celtic are in Pot 2 and Legia will be in Pot 4 if they make use of their 1-0 away win over the Kahzaks, Aktobe on Thursday; so it is a possibility but I'll wager another team that would love a go at Celtic is Ludogorets from Bulgaria who lost their CLQ4 seeding when Celtic were reinstated and are 1-0 down to Steau Bucharest going into tomorrow's second leg in Razgrad, northern Poland. If they fail to overturn the first leg result they will be in Pot 3 in the Europa League probably alongside Everton and Hull! The likes of Spurs, Inter, Sevilla and either Bilbao or Napoli await in Pot 1.

It is yeah. Though when we played them they weren't league champions. Still, this is a terrible result for Celtic, just as it was for us. Maribor look a lot stronger now than the side we faced though. It could be that Celtic are just THAT bad.

It's a shame we are in such a mess because it really would take such little money to win the SPL.

Maribor's performances have improved every season since they played us, when they were essentially an amateur team used as a "farm" club by Italians and other neighbours.

Maribor's performances have improved every season since they played us, when they were essentially an amateur team used as a "farm" club by Italians and other neighbours.

I take it you are talking about 2001 when we beat them 6-1 on aggregate.

Since then Maribor have played Scottish sides 3 times (Hibs 2010, Rangers 2011, Celtic 2014) and haven't lost any of the 6 games involved.

Scottish football is exposed for what it has become when it comes to Europe.

Many have waxed lyrical about the 'reivigorated game' in Scotland but they hold their weish during the summer qualifiers as our canon fodder look out their passports, usually once.

Motherwell, the team who have finished second had gone 7 games in Europe without scoring before they played an Icelandic team this summer, they scored but still went out.

Hibs have won one out of their last 12 European games, but still lost the tie.

Their last game was a home defeat to the tune of 0-7 to the giants of Malmo.

Dundee Utd, a team who once did well in Europe have lost their last 5 European ties.

Hearts have lost 4 out of their last 5 ties.

Edited by buster.

Nowhere to hide: Angry fans gather outside Celtic Park after Champions League exit

Michael Grant

Chief football writer

Wednesday 27 August 2014

A DEJECTED Ronny Deila offered no excuses last night and admitted his Celtic team did not deserve to take a place in the Champions League group stage.

25165842.jpg

An angry crowd of around 200 fans gathered outside Celtic Park's main entrance after the shattering play-off round defeat by Maribor, protesting against the club's board of directors, major shareholder Dermot Desmond and the chief executive Peter Lawwell, chanting "sack the board" and "where's the money gone?" and accusing the club of not investing enough in the squad.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/nowhere-to-hide-angry-fans-gather-outside-celtic-park-after-champions-league-exit.25163105

Keith Jackson

PARK the bus. Shut up shop. Strangle the life out of them.

Any cliche from Ye Olde Coaching Manual would have done.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/celtic-0-maribor-1-agg1-2-4113039

The 'park the bus' mentality is what is wrong with Scottish football. We have forgotten how to actually play.

I see the accompanying survey is blaming Lawwell and the Celtic board far more than any of the other reasons offered.