I take it you are talking about 2001 when we beat them 6-1 on aggregate.

Since then Maribor have played Scottish sides 3 times (Hibs 2010, Rangers 2011, Celtic 2014) and haven't lost any of the 6 games involved.

Scottish football is exposed for what it has become when it comes to Europe.

Many have waxed lyrical about the 'reivigorated game' in Scotland but they hold their weish during the summer qualifiers as our canon fodder look out their passports, usually once.

Motherwell, the team who have finished second had gone 7 games in Europe without scoring before they played an Icelandic team this summer, they scored but still went out.

Hibs have won one out of their last 12 European games, but still lost the tie.

Their last game was a home defeat to the tune of 0-7 to the giants of Malmo.

Dundee Utd, a team who once did well in Europe have lost their last 5 European ties.

Hearts have lost 4 out of their last 5 ties.

I agree with all your comments about the paucity of Scottish football in Europe, save for the occasional runs by Celtic and Rangers, our record is extremely poor.

I had forgotten about Maribor 2001 and was referring to the fact that when we played them in 2011 they had actuially fallen to 217th [2001 - 189th] in the coefficients and we had risen to 33rd [2001 -63rd]; they have risen dramatically since 2011 and started this term 120th but are currently 2nd! albeit most of the top teams have not yet played.

Celtic started this season 62nd; so I suppose it's arguable which is a worse defeat; but I'd say our loss in 2011 was significantly worse because of the respective Club's positions at that time, though I appreciate there are many more indicators than the coefficients.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I agree with all your comments about the paucity of Scottish football in Europe, save for the occasional runs by Celtic and Rangers, our record is extremely poor.

I had forgotten about Maribor 2001 and was referring to the fact that when we played them in 2011 they had actuially fallen to 217th [2001 - 189th] in the coefficients and we had risen to 33rd [2001 -63rd]; they have risen dramatically since 2011 and started this term 120th but are currently 2nd! albeit most of the top teams have not yet played.

Celtic started this season 62nd; so I suppose it's arguable which is a worse defeat; but I'd say our loss in 2011 was significantly worse because of the respective Club's positions at that time, though I appreciate there are many more indicators than the coefficients.

As you yourself say, I think there are better indicators as to the form of a club in a given moment.

The co-efficients represent 5 years historic data at a time when squads and managers change frequently.

Perhaps a co-efficient for a 2 year period would be better taken alongside the up-to date record and situation.

Last night for example, Celtic, despite a reasonable 5 year co-efficient rating looked what they are. A team with no cutting edge that is in transition...... with a manager who doesn't seem to be flavour of the month in the dressing room, never mind amongst the support.

Celtic are in Pot 2 and Legia will be in Pot 4 if they make use of their 1-0 away win over the Kahzaks, Aktobe on Thursday; so it is a possibility but I'll wager another team that would love a go at Celtic is Ludogorets from Bulgaria who lost their CLQ4 seeding when Celtic were reinstated and are 1-0 down to Steau Bucharest going into tomorrow's second leg in Razgrad, northern Poland. If they fail to overturn the first leg result they will be in Pot 3 in the Europa League probably alongside Everton and Hull! The likes of Spurs, Inter, Sevilla and either Bilbao or Napoli await in Pot 1.

Ludogorets won the penalty shoot-out with an outfield player making a couple of saves, their goalkeeper having been given a red card two minutes from the end of extra time.

Ludogorets won the penalty shoot-out with an outfield player making a couple of saves, their goalkeeper having been given a red card two minutes from the end of extra time.

An outstanding result against a team with a long European pedigree, 50 places above them in the coefficients; made the more outstanding by the manner of victory you describe.

Ludogorets now find themselves 0.05 point ahead of a certain Maribor and joint second with another well known team who had an excellent result, Malmo; all now in the Group stages of the CL for the first time.

Maribor in CL group with Chelsea, Schalke and Sporting Lisbon.

Schalke have had a bad start to their season getting put out of the DFB Cup 1st round to third division opponents Dynamo Dresden and losing their first league game to Hannover. They also lost two of their three friendlies earlier in the month and only managed a draw in the other, so they're not a team on form at the moment.

Chelsea could play their second string in that group, and I am not being flippant. That's a huge advantage for their tilt at the league.

They probably will rest some players here and there, but Mourinho is too experienced (and egotistical !!) to take big risks fielding whole reserve teams in the Champions League. He'll want to win the group comfortably with some risks taken, but none too drastic.