Real No Longer Wish To Renew Beckham Contract

OMFG 135 MILLION (hes gone in august) over a 5 year period

Getting 400k per week , so much a day and 3k per hour

I'm sorry But for fucks sake, football was once about pasion now it's about silly money.

Spot on. Becks is the kind of player/image that every club wants so they'll pay him whatever it takes to get him.

It surprised me how quickly this deal was done.

I wonder if he had to sign over his image rights for that amount ? I would reckon he wouldn't want to but at the same time the MLS is not known for throwing silly money around.

I believe as well that the contracts are not held by the clubs but by the MLS themselves (may have changed in the last couple of years).

Beverly Hills is quite nice but most of the public stars, I think, reside in Malibu - funny thing about Beverley Hills is that you see a place which you wouldn't give a 2nd glance and you can almost guarantee a "star" stays there.

One property we saw was what looked like a downstairs flat, not a big place and David Schwimmer (Ross from friends - hardly a star I know but rolling in it nonetheless) had recently paid $2 million for it.

If you do a trip to the West Coast os the US you would be well advised to just skip past LA - start in San Diego and head up to San Francisco - beautiful places - whilst LA is a concrete jungle.

Believe it is only this season that MLS dropped their salary capping to allow a deal like this to take place. Many believe it was done to pave the way for Beckham to move to MLS.

What worries me regarding this deal is the knock on effect it could have for the rest of football. Are the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry, etc going to go to their clubs and demand similar deals? Or will MLS sign other players on such extravagent terms and allocate them to other teams eg NY Red Bull???

Agree with you Craig about San Francisco being a beautiful city, was there in November. Just as well it doesn't snow there because the hills are mega steep, they need to be seen in flesh to be believed. Would recommend a visit to Carmel, if I win lottery it's where i would retire to.

Malky

And he says its not money motivated!!

Biggest smell of BS you'll get off anyone this week (not you, Beckham).

He says he's going to promote the game of 'Soccer'. Its not going to get much bigger over there i dont think, certainly not bigger that Baseball, Basketball or Am Football.

Three times more than what any footballer in the world is getting, and he has the cheek to say its not about the money. :rolleyes:

Bill Plaschke, Los Angeles Times

"You want to sell soccer in America? Vend it like Beckham.

"You want to repair the divide between the millions of Americans who play soccer and the thousands who actually watch it? Mend it like Beckham.

"You want people to think soccer here will finally become a major sport and live happily ever after? Pretend it like Beckham.

"Arguably the world's most famous athlete is coming to work in Los Angeles, but there's something you should know.

"David Beckham is not joining the Galaxy as an athlete, but as an advertising campaign.

"He is coming as soccer swag, a walking Super Bowl commercial, a big-haired billboard.

"His job here is not to win, but to give his sport one last chance to work in the biggest place where it doesn't.

"His success will be defined not by corner kicks, but by converts."

I like this guy, lol. The sporting life website has the newspaper reaction to his deal over in the US. This guy knows the score, a walking super bowl commercial made me laugh.