Always strange (though not unexpected) to see people having a go at our players' wages. All of them are sure a cost factor on our balance sheet, always have been, always will be. Same goes for Rooney and Co. at ManU ... and I do not think that any of the top 10 EPL clubs can actually live within their means with the wages they pay - despite SKY et al. Our income has dwindled as opposed to SPL days, yet now we pay most of our squad less than a third or quarter (if not less) of those days. Still too much if you take people's opinions about their value and standard into account, but somesuch simply goes out of the window. You have to pay to attract people to play for us, that is the stark fact we have faced since admin. It might be scant consolation to those giving flak time and again that half the squad will be out of contract next summer, some might even be gone in January. We will still be in need to pay "top-pound" to get players to challenge for Premiership titles and some European glory ... and living within our Scottish means won't be enough to finance that.

Always strange (though not unexpected) to see people having a go at our players' wages. All of them are sure a cost factor on our balance sheet, always have been, always will be. Same goes for Rooney and Co. at ManU ... and I do not think that any of the top 10 EPL clubs can actually live within their means with the wages they pay - despite SKY et al. Our income has dwindled as opposed to SPL days, yet now we pay most of our squad less than a third or quarter (if not less) of those days. Still too much if you take people's opinions about their value and standard into account, but somesuch simply goes out of the window. You have to pay to attract people to play for us, that is the stark fact we have faced since admin. It might be scant consolation to those giving flak time and again that half the squad will be out of contract next summer, some might even be gone in January. We will still be in need to pay "top-pound" to get players to challenge for Premiership titles and some European glory ... and living within our Scottish means won't be enough to finance that.

If you find it strange, that's an affirmation that everyone else is calling it right.

If you find it strange, that's an affirmation that everyone else is calling it right.

For as long as I can remember people, not just at our club, have bemoaned the wage policies at football clubs. Be it 200k a week for Rooney, 400k a month for Gomez at Fiorentina, 30k for Whittaker or 6k for McGregor. You would expect people have become used to this and don't whip up the repitive stuff like you see time and again. Not least when you face the situation we had since admin. But we could of course had done all that with youngsters getting a pay check of 1k max a week ...

For as long as I can remember people, not just at our club, have bemoaned the wage policies at football clubs. Be it 200k a week for Rooney, 400k a month for Gomez at Fiorentina, 30k for Whittaker or 6k for McGregor. You would expect people have become used to this and don't whip up the repitive stuff like you see time and again. Not least when you face the situation we had since admin. But we could of course had done all that with youngsters getting a pay check of 1k max a week ...

Some sense at last.

Let's see, take a look at our financials over the last X years.

Consider the standard of executive management we have suffered.

Read the 120 day business review for an in-house opinion.

-----------------------------------------------

Is it "strange" or unreasonable that supporters flag-up or are concerned about what some may think a wage that doesn't correspond with market value ?

Given some of the 'beauties' of late, you really wonder if some are simply at it.

Here was me thinking that the club were cutting back on excessive player wages, although I don't know exactly when McGregor or his agent negotiated that figure and agreed to join Rangers.

If you think about the situation, you are nearing 30 with a history of serious knee injuries and approaching the end of your contract.

You are a run of the mill centre back at SPFL1 level, decent but not eye-catching good that English clubs have ever lined up in a queue to sign you, in fact you were still with Cowdenbeath in the third tier when you were 24.

I can understand Rangers wanting a 'top tier centre half' to play in the second tier from which they want immediate promotion, fine.

But why pay him 6K p/wk ?

At St.Mirren he'd have been on how much ?

I'd guess somewhere between 1K and 2K p/wk.

Just say we'd offered 3,500, who would have offered more ?

As for the way his contract is structured regards a second year kicking in after a certain number of games that he is available to play in. We could have the situation where his second year has kicked in and he gets another serious injury towards the end of the season.

Now, it's probably this way because McGregor wants a resolution prior to January, so he has a better idea if he needs to look for another club, understandable but it seems all the concessions came from Rangers when they should have been holding the good cards.

Of course there is another issue about him being played as right-back but another day.

No one would have offered him anything close to £3.5k a week. Hearts offered him £1.5k, we jumped in with £6k. Memories of Daly comes back when he wanted a few grand increase from his Utd wage to play for us and we jumped in with 3 times what he wanted. By all accounts our negotiations, even under Wallace have been, which Daly wasn't i note, have been just as silly as previous CEOs.

we could of course had done all that with youngsters getting a pay check of 1k max a week ...

Spot on. Of course we could have and only an idiot would think otherwise.

Hearts have a wage cap of £1.5k per week, which they offered to McGregor and Kris Boyd to name just 2. Frightening when you compare their options, in midfield for example, to ours. Their squad has plenty kids, graduates, running riot, enjoying themselves, having fun, pumping Rangers, topping the league, earning a fraction of what our imposters do. Healthy club, happy fans. Compared to our shambles. Even when we do win the league, which we will, Hearts will have been a credit to the game in this country and to themselves. They are doing it the right way.

People live in a world of dreams if they think that youngsters and people on 1.5k a week (if you'd found them) would have returned us from the fourth tier to where we are and beyond. But I reckon they'll fling in more hypothetical stuff like "good management and coaching and scouting would have done that trick ... just look at *name a team of your fancy which at this moment and time is run decently enough*". Yep, in theory all fine and well.

People live in a world of dreams if they think that youngsters and people on 1.5k a week (if you'd found them) would have returned us from the fourth tier to where we are and beyond. But I reckon they'll fling in more hypothetical stuff like "good management and coaching and scouting would have done that trick ... just look at *name a team of your fancy which at this moment and time is run decently enough*". Yep, in theory all fine and well.

Hearts seem to be doing rather well at the moment.

Not saying their existing squad would have guaranteed them the same 'journey' we've had but if it's good enough to top the Championship then it wouldn't have been far off promotion the last two seasons either.

I don't think anyone is ever talking about using a first XI full of young lads but perhaps having a few more than we have complimented by a few experienced players.

For example, in their last league game, Hearts average age of their 14 players used was 24 with only one player over 30 and 7 players 21 or under used. Meanwhile our average age was 28 with five players over 30 and only 2 players under 21 used.

I find such stats disappointing given the opportunity the last few years should have given us. Yes, demands at Rangers are different from elsewhere in terms of (often fickle) fan expectations but while I think McGregor looks OK, he's a typical example of a blasé attitude to money within a footballing outlook that is short-term at best.

On the evidence so far, Hearts look just as likely as us to win this league. That's not a world of dreams but right here right now. In that sense, it's certainly time for a few people to wake up.