Only too true, sadly enough:

John Brown blast at Rangers’ slackers

In a no-holds-barred attack, Brown made it clear senior stars such as Kris Boyd, Kenny Miller and skipper Lee McCulloch’s contribution to the club’s on-field malaise has been “shocking.”

The 52-year-old believes the lack of effort and spirit shown has piled the pressure on boss Ally McCoist – and reckons that has to change now if the club is to emerge from its latest crisis.

After a 2-0 loss to Hearts that left Rangers nine points behind the Championship leaders, a furious Brown said: “I have to be very critical of the players.

“I’ve a lot of time for many of them but, for the standard of player there, they are vastly underachieving.

“It’s a disgrace that guys like Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd and Lee McCulloch – international players – have been putting in the type of performances they have been. It’s shocking.

“People can criticise Ally all they want but when you look at that standard of player, the money they’re earning and the fact they’re not producing performances or even spirit, you have to lay the blame at the players.

“The manager can pick the team but it’s down to the players on the park to show a desire to win.

“But there has been a lack of real passion in that team. The players need to get their fingers out.”

Brown famously battled against the Craig Whyte regime at Ibrox and has also been critical of Charles Green.

After leaving Dundee as gaffer in 2013, Brown has kept a low profile, but the ongoing debacle at Ibrox has left his blood boiling.

Rangers have secured emergency funding from Newcastle owner Mike Ashley while the board – with brothers Sandy and James Easdale prominent – has been at war with fans and potential investors all season.

The club has started laying off staff and, with the current woes on the pitch, Brown feels McCoist is the fall guy for the failures of others.

He added: “The fans are frustrated by the whole situation at the club.

“The Easdales and the Ashleys are never going to be accountable. They hide behind the door while Ally is out front taking flak.

“I feel sorry for Ally because, if you look at Graeme Souness and Walter Smith, they had David Murray backing them to the hilt.

“I have got to say the situation Ally finds himself in with the board of directors is disgusting. There’s no cohesion or support for the manager. He’s not had a fair crack at the job. There is no doubt it will affect what’s on the park.

“Ally was given a task to get the club back into the Premiership and he is still going to achieve that.

“But if you think the off-field stuff does not have an effect on the team, you are wrong.

“These directors should be doing more to back their manager right now rather than turning their back on him. It’s embarrassing.”

Express

IMHO, overall Miller's done okay thus far.

It is justified criticism IMO, although just why rent-a-gub Bomber feels the need to have a go now is really quite transparant in a desperate attempt to take some heat off his old buddy, and it is certainly not for the good of the club.

I would also have preferred, if he was to have a go at the experienced players who are on big wages and are underperforming, that he couldnt possibly leave Daly, Black, Law, Smith & Foster off that list and have any credibility.

For those that feel Miller is unfairly criticised by being on that list, quite simply you are wrong. Miller has been awful, has clearly lost his pace, and meanders through games like the others I have mentioned above. We all have our favourites and I feel bad by slating Boyd who is a favourite of mine, but having attended almost every game this season, the criticism is fair as although Boyd's workrate and assists has much improved since he was last with us, the amount of easy chances he has missed means that criticism is merited.

I am quite happy to see McCulloch finally get some criticism, as he is quite simply our worst ever captain, and a footballer of absolutely no quality whatsoever. He didnt look out of place in the 4th tier of Scottish football, but even then was regularly outplayed by opponents, especially in midfield and in defence.