Let's keep things on topic, please! :facepalm:

Anchorman,

Okay, in deference to Zappa's post I will respond, because I thought your post at #74 was disingenuous. You must have been thinking something else other than what I posted.

My post at #72 was not about McCoist, or giving him money to spend or any of that. Everybody and their dug wants rid of McCoist. That is not the problem. I don't care if McCoist leaves tomorrow.

We are still left with a very much inferior player squad if he goes. We are also left with a board who are more intent in taking money out of the club than putting money into the club to make us successful.

When Wallace spoke of 'onerous contracts', I think we can be sure he was not only talking about the Ashley retail deal but also about the salary deals of the lamentable "stars" we have at Rangers right now. Maybe two are worthy of wearing the real Rangers' blue shirt. The rest are dross, and yes, they were signed by McCoist but I can't entirely blame him for that. They were for the most part free, and he probably had to offer a bit of a premium in salary at the time he signed them to entice them to come to a club in our position at that time. That does not excuse his lack of being able to give us a team that wants to win.

Much has been made of the inconsistency of performance of Law, Black, Boyd Miller etc., they are too old and experienced to lay that performance totally at McCoist's feet. They have shown on a few occasions that they can play well and score goals, why not every game? Is that truly McCoist's fault. Fine get rid of him I have no problem with that, however, who is this new super-coach who will get this bunch of dross to perform game in and game out? I don't know either.

The most worrying part - and this is my point - is that the board will not, it would appear, care whether McCoist stays or goes or even that the playing squad needs massive injections of players who are what the fans would call Rangers-class.

In my mind that is the root of the problem. People ask how Hearts are able to turn things around and to get the fans to believe in Budge and her board. They are all in it together. We are not.

Now you tell me how McCoist comes even close to solving that.

Here's Merlin's latest. See what you make of this ...

How Are The Mighty Fallen

December 7, 2014 / billmcmurdo

I have to be honest and say that yesterday was heartbreaking to watch as a Rangers supporter.

Rangers were rank rotten – and that is being kind – but to see the sparsely filled stands and feel the sombre mood on a bitterly cold, wet day was very hard to take.

Make no mistake – we are watching a club on life support, possibly in its death throes and dying a cruel, horrible death.

Too melodramatic and negative? Maybe so but if you want to argue against it, give me good reasons because I sure could use them, as could thousands of others.

When Rangers eventually scored yesterday, people around me actually turned away in embarrassment because it was a goal Cowdenbeath did not deserve to lose against a woefully inept Rangers eleven. In fact, if the plucky Fifers had any kind of goal threat, the result would have arguably been very different. In every other area of the pitch, they more than matched Rangers for pace, technical ability, tactics and confidence.

As I watched the torment on the park, it was difficult to not ponder how this clueless bunch are going to perform in places like Easter Road in coming weeks without shedding more points to leave themselves hopelessly adrift in the Championship title race. Not to mention the fastly approaching cup tie against Celtic, who don’t have their own troubles to seek but who have to be stick-on favourites for the match. Gers fans can only hope for a clear-out at Parkhead in the January window to bring some kind of leveller.

The words of the blog title haunted me as I tried to keep warm against the harsh winds that buffeted a bleak Ibrox. This was the once mighty Glasgow Rangers I was watching. A club shorn of its very spirit by greed and vainglory, humbled in its arrogance and haughtiness, with many of its once loyal fans riddled with fear and loathing for its present regime. The mighty not just fallen but being trampled upon.

Contrary to one media report I read, the team WERE booed off the park, though the mooted anti-McCoist protest didn’t materialise. You have to wonder if it was because people decided it wasn’t the done thing for Rangers fans to do or just apathy and an expression of the mounting sense of resignation within the fan base.

It has to be said – Rangers fans have stopped dreaming and hoping. And the vast majority have certainly stopped believing. Cynicism, suspicion and hostility form the mindset of thousands of bluenoses at the present time. This is all made worse by the implicit understanding that a run of good results will not really change anything – nor will this cure the core diseases that ravage this once powerful institution.

Rangers are sick at heart. The answer is a strong leader but there is no-one on the horizon who fills that role. Everyone involved is hanging on to their own sphere of power and influence at the club. There is no Willie Waddell, no Bill Struth or Jock Wallace to rally the Ibrox battallions and have them face the same way instead of train their guns at each other.

Yes, there is Mike Ashley. I am confident that he will step forward and provide both leadership and funding to steer Rangers away from the rocks and back to ruling the seas.

But in all honesty I have to say that the margins are so fine at this very critical juncture that he might do so just too late to prevent a shipwreck.

And let there be no doubt – what’s left of Scottish football will drown in the wake.