Macleod is a highly talented, versatile and dedicated young midfielder (think very good young no.10) who will be sorely missed by his teammates and the fans here.

His departure could even cost us promotion at this point of the season because there's solid and repeated evidence to say that our team normally hasn't functioned properly or played anywhere near as well if Lewis has been out injured or through illness.

Assuming the deal gets finalized, Brentford will have gotten a real bargain, even if they've paid £1m or more.

The Spanish football magazine "Don Balon" has put together a list of the Top 10 Younsgters in world football for many years and it is widely respected, if not exhaustive and they had young Lewis at No.48 above the likes of Marquinhos (PSG), Mitrovic (Anderlecht) and Lazar Markovic now of Liverpool....

He's a local lad to me and is well known for being very grounded and sensible off the pitch and so he has every chance of going on to become a Premier League level player in my view.

I think it would only be fair to our Brentford fan to say that Lewis is still learning as he has not been tested much, as he has not played at a good level. it is true he scored the goals that knocked out top league opposition for us in the cups this season but top league in Scotland is a crap standard, way below what Lewis will now be facing.

All the praise here is justified at the level he has been playing. Quality and fitness are on another level where Brentford are currently far less where they are aiming for so success is not guaranteed for Lewis there and would be hugely surprising were it acheived immediately.

So, as you're gutted that he has gone to a Championship club, I guess you're saying he's Premier League standard? If so this is very encouraging for us as it reconfirms our Premier League ambitions. People still view Brentford in the light of our eternity in the bottom two tiers but things have changed at the club beyond comprehension. We're brushing aside teams like Cardiff and Fulham - both Premier League last season and after decades of effort, our new stadium, capable of sustaining a Premier League club is finally happening. I can see why an up and coming star would want to jump on board.

Lewis isn't yet PL standard, not by a long shot, but if he continues to develop he certainly had the potential to be. I reckon he'll be at least a class above Charlie Adam when he's finished.

Take care of him; tell him we love him and ask him to write home occasionally.

Edited by The Real PapaBear

Mate, you only have to look at our results when he is not in the team. The one piece of creativity we had in our make up, and he's gone. Personally I'm gutted. I hope the boy does well with you, as he is a good, modest, grounded lad to boot. Which is more that can be said for some in our squad.

BTW, can you recommend any hotels in Brentford? I'm down there in a couple of weeks on business. :P

or stay in Ealing and you can walk to the Brentford ground down the South Ealing Road and across the round about. Diddly to do in Brentford but plenty of eats and pubs in Ealing and a few more hotels. Though the Brentford ground is famous for having a pub on each corner.

So, as you're gutted that he has gone to a Championship club, I guess you're saying he's Premier League standard? If so this is very encouraging for us as it reconfirms our Premier League ambitions. People still view Brentford in the light of our eternity in the bottom two tiers but things have changed at the club beyond comprehension. We're brushing aside teams like Cardiff and Fulham - both Premier League last season and after decades of effort, our new stadium, capable of sustaining a Premier League club is finally happening. I can see why an up and coming star would want to jump on board.

He certainly will be EPL standard if he keeps on his progress. Championship is a step up from the standard he's been playing at but he looks to have everything: really good vision and passing, quite strong for his age and can finish. It would be should be easy to stand out in the lower divisions in Scotland (at least it should be) but he's looked good for the Scotland under 21s too.

Brentford are having a terrific season and I hope you can go up (Brighton, my other team, clearly aren't going to make it so good luck to you) but I thought an established EPL might have taken a punt on him. A million looks a steal--I'm guessing it was because it was accepted because the money was all up front. That'll all go to clear our chairman's tab at Gregg's or some such. Still, i thought he'd just be given to Newcastle and Rangers charged his moving costs.

[i notice even Davie Weir says it's something of a fiasco]

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg