Rangers Face Song Probe

This would be the point I'd make to the SFA/SPL. Why ignore one game, the game with higher chance of some fans being naughty, only to get involved later. Were the songs okay at Hampden but not okay versus Raith?

I think it comes down to money, TV deals, prospects of sponsership and the like

The authorities would have been desperate that the first OF game in years passed off with a minimum of negative vibes.

Going by the definition of the term ...

Sectarianism, according to one definition, is bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement.
Source

... you could almost come to the conclusion that Rangers and its support have become victim of "sectarianism".

If the fans are now serious about ownership of / influence over the Club, then we need to accept the responsibility that brings with it.

This is something I'd like to see the RST / Union of Fans, or even the Rangers Fan Board, address.

We had very little sectarian chanting in the lower leagues, although I was at Berwick, when we once again did it on national TV. So why is it happening again now?

I can understand the Celtic match stirring the emotions and folk getting carried away, especially with all the taunting ("your Club died / zombies / orcs / monkeys / Remembrance Day mocking"), the deflection (claiming "Huns" isn't sectarian but "******" is / IRA songs are only "political") and the fact that we do seem to be spotlighted for special attention, but we're just doing our detractors work for them.

If we can be so easily goaded into self harm, then everyone will be lining up to have a poke at us and it'll probably end up with real damage being done to the Club. Would any of these numbskulls fancy missing out on a playoff spot this season due to a points deduction?

I think the only answer is for the fans groups to get together and say 1) these are the songs that will cause us grief - don't sing them 2) here are the original / alternative words that will allow us to retain some of those songs, without leaving yourself or the Club open to punishment.

Edited by Mountain Bear

If the fans are now serious about ownership of / influence over the Club, then we need to accept the responsibility that brings with it.

This is something I'd like to see the RST / Union of Fans, or even the Rangers Fan Board, address.

We had very little sectarian chanting in the lower leagues, although I was at Berwick, when we once again did it on national TV. So why is it happening again now?

I can understand the Celtic match stirring the emotions and folk getting carried away, especially with all the taunting ("your Club died / zombies / orcs / monkeys / Remembrance Day mocking"), the deflection (claiming "Huns" isn't sectarian but "******" is / IRA songs are only "political") and the fact that we do seem to be spotlighted for special attention, but we're just doing our detractors work for them.

If we can be so easily goaded into self harm, then everyone will be lining up to have a poke at us and it'll probably end up with real damage being done to the Club. Would any of these numbskulls fancy missing out on a playoff spot this season due to a points deduction?

I think the only answer is for the fans groups to get together and say 1) these are the songs that will cause us grief - don't sing them 2) here are the original / alternative words that will allow us to retain some of those songs, without leaving yourself or the Club open to punishment.

One thing I hope to see when(not if) John Gilligan joins the board is that he takes the fight to these individuals and organisations who see fit to go after Rangers at every opportunity whilst turning a blind eye to others. At almost every Celt@c game there are banned songs but who highlights them and what is done?

One thing I hope to see when(not if) John Gilligan joins the board is that he takes the fight to these individuals and organisations who see fit to go after Rangers at every opportunity whilst turning a blind eye to others. At almost every Celt@c game there are banned songs but who highlights them and what is done?

I don't have a problem with challenging other people's unacceptable behaviour Rab, but I'd rather we put our own house in order first.

Then we can move the debate onto how ludicrous it is to try and claim the morale high-ground while using dehumanising language like orcs, zombies, monkeys etc, never mind the genuinely sectarian stuff sang elsewhere.

You can probably only silence these folk with their own medicine. The Yahoos have a strong grip on what is reported on them and how. We haven't done that for decades. We were food and drink for Yahoo UEFA blackmail since 2007 onwards. UEFA got on the act and banned FTP and TBB (in all "incarnations", no matter the words). The SFA, SPL and now SPFL hid and hide behind that shield, and went on the offensive against us too. It took not that much effort to bring the Yahoo's chanting to the attention of UEFA too, they were fined a few times afterwards. The Scottish authorities whipped up this "Offensive Behaviour" stuff, for it could not be named "sectarian" if the Yahoos were involved. Little did they do about it though. The Yahoos went on the rampage at various grounds, continue to sing their bile and essentially walk Scot ... Oirish free in Scotland. What is it that stops the Scottish media from reporting and commenting on their transgressions? Is it inbred or guided, a combination of both? Where's their Charlie Hebdo mentality? Is it more like Bonny Prince Charlie mentality? You do hope that King and Co. will address this head on.

Edited by der Berliner

I don't have a problem with challenging other people's unacceptable behaviour Rab, but I'd rather we put our own house in order first.

Then we can move the debate onto how ludicrous it is to try and claim the morale high-ground while using dehumanising language like orcs, zombies, monkeys etc, never mind the genuinely sectarian stuff sang elsewhere.

The problem is Mb our enemies you mention have no intention whatsoever of changing their unacceptable behaviour towards us.

Ever since SDM caved in to them they see us as an easy target. They can do as they like whereas we cannot and if we do anything they deem unacceptable they want us punished. This cannot continue.

Would that stand up in court though? If the authorities are going to apply rules then it has to be consistent. This isn't whatabouterry but looking for genuine attempts to understand rules we're supposedly governed by.

The governing bodies have repeatedly shown throughout the last few years that they aren't fit for purpose and until they are, things like consistency will continue to be abstract.

Beyond the Scottish authorities you could also criticise UEFA, FIFA and for that matter the way the UK/Scotland is being run from London/Edinburgh for differing macro reasons.

Bottomline, they do what they do for Money and Control.

They tend to have the majority chasing contrived bogeymen whilst the real ones are sitting comfortable, often counting their millions.

Truth is a Moveable Feast, those who can best disguise it are well rewarded.

Accountability and Responsibility are old hat.

Yeah .... it is almost as if they were at the match reporting on it .....do you think their journos were agent provocateurs in the crowd ???

I doubt if the Daily Record are banned from any other ground except Ibrox.

With respect mate, no good you joining the 'Bad Rangers Bandwagon' without questioning why it wasn't brought up by our main stream media at the recent pushed 'first old firm game for three years' shite paper talk in Scotland.

With equal respect, I didn't mention the club, I mentioned the morons amongst the fans. Although to be fair to them, they are probably the equivalent of the board on the terraces. Quite the achievement.

The argument, to be kind to it, that we need to view this in the round and that if other people can get away with being morons means we should be able to do it too, is beyond anything I can process. Does it not matter that Rangers will be the body that suffers, whether via punishment or reputationally?

Whatever excuse is trotted out is just a form of denial, when what's needed is honest, mature facing up to an issue and dealing with it. Easier said than done, but a lot better than whining about other fans, as if that makes it all right.