Who Is In The Frame To Manage/Coach Rangers FC?

Magath has a great CV winning this and that in Germany, but sure as night turns to day he is not the man for us.

He'd last a couple months with the media all over him like Vogts...Hope we don't get him anywhere near Ibrox.

We'll end up with David Weir.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/felix-magath-jets-talks-dave-5296337#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Felix Magath jets in for talks with Dave King as Rangers chiefs look to give promotion hopes a shot in the arm

06:58, 9 March 2015 By Keith Jackson

MAGATH will sit down with King and Paul Murray for a wide-ranging discussion on the best way forward for Gers but his arrival last night is not an indication he is in line for Kenny McDowall's job.

FORMER Fulham boss Felix Magath arrived in Glasgow last night to hold talks with Dave King’s Rangers regime.

The 61-year-old German muscled his way into the Ibrox saga at the start of the year when he snapped up one per cent of the club’s shares. Now he has returned to Scotland to open talks with King.

It’s anticipated Magath will sit down with King and interim chairman Paul Murray for a wide - ranging discussion on the best way forward for Rangers now the new board has taken control.

King and Murray are weighing up a number of possible options as they consider how to rekindle their club’s hopes of winning promotion to the SPFL Premiership.

With Hearts romping towards the title and Hibs now in second place, Rangers are facing a battle to make it up through the end-of-season play-offs and the new hierarchy want to give the campaign a shot in the arm.

But Magath’s sudden arrival on the scene is not an indication that he is in line for Kenny McDowall’s job.

An insider told Record Sport last night: “It will be beneficial for King and Murray to hear what he has to say.

“Magath is also a significant shareholder. King and his board are mulling over all manner of different options.

“Magath is one of many people with whom they will want to have a conversation. But he has not flown in expecting to be unveiled as the next Rangers manager.”

Edited by chilledbear

One of King’s first tasks is to decide on the next Rangers manager — a decision that will rank among his most important. It was revealed former Rangers captain Davie Weir has emerged as a serious contender for a role in a new-look management team.

The Ibrox legend has worked wonders as No 2 to Mark Warburton at Brentford and the duo are interesting the new regime.

Kirk Broadfoot played beside Weir at Rangers and believes his old team-mate would be perfect for the job.

The Rotherham stopper said: “I don’t think there is a better man out there than Davie Weir for Rangers to appoint.

“Davie would definitely be a popular choice for the players and the fans. He knows the club inside out and I think appointing him would be ideal for Rangers.

“He has all his badges and is a really forward-thinking coach. I know a lot of people who have worked under him as a coach.

“Davie was unlucky at Sheffield United but he had them playing good stuff and Brentford have been flying since he went there.

“He has the pedigree to do the Rangers job and he would also be able to handle the pressure.

“You need that thick skin to do it and he would know exactly what to expect. The pressure could shock some managers coming in but Davie would take it in his stride.

“He knows the club, he knows that there will be tough times but that wouldn’t faze him.

“Davie would do things his own way but he can also call on the advice of some of the best managers in the game.

“He’s worked under Walter Smith and David Moyes. I’m sure those two will always be on the end of a phone.

“But his contacts are endless. He’ll know people across the British and European game and Davie would attract players to the club.

“He has that aura and I’m 100 per cent certain that players would want to work under him.”

King admits he wants a coach to develop players instead of a traditional manager — and Broadfoot believes Weir fits the bill.

He said: “As a young guy, Davie was a dream to work with on a daily basis. He would always take time to speak to you and help you.

“He had experience and led by example in every way possible — from preparation to performance and even recovery.

“To be honest, you couldn’t fail to learn just by watching Davie. He conducted himself so well.

“He was a mentor to me and a few of the boys and he was very approachable and easy to talk to.”

http://www.cfclatest.com/2013/03/09/john-greig-my-prayers-have-been-answered/

Weir was fired after a few months with Sheffield United and has very limited coaching experience. Not only that, I don't think he would bring the style of play that we require.

That said, I think having Magath overseeing things is key, Levein has clearly had a very good influence at Hearts and we need someone who can have a similar effect. Magath had an excellent track record at Stuttgart in developing younger players, playing organised, good football and also having a very fit squad. That's what we need.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy