Who Is In The Frame To Manage/Coach Rangers FC?

Hoddle? Keegan? Pie in the sky stuff and would be awful appointments. Don't know why Hoddle's name always pops up for British jobs, guy hasn't managed in years and was useless.

Gio, Numan etc I like the sound of.

Thats what bugs me most about any speculation with regards to Rangers manager, even Souness hasnt managed since...must be a good 5-6+ years now.

I remember reading Gio was No.2 somewhere in Holland, cant remember where, is Numan doing the same?

Thats what bugs me most about any speculation with regards to Rangers manager, even Souness hasnt managed since...must be a good 5-6+ years now.

I remember reading Gio was No.2 somewhere in Holland, cant remember where, is Numan doing the same?

Gio is No.2 at Feynoord who have the most productive and best youth setup in the Netherlands. A few years ago they also were forced to cut off all high wage earners and brought through almost their whole youth team and really should have been champions last season. They have played the best football in Holland for a few years now.

Numan is Assistant trainer to the young Dutch team and is also Scout for a number of clubs including Aston Villa.

I think we need someone who is going to bring an entirely different approach. I would only consider Stuart Mccoll etc in the short term. This will be our most important appointment since Souness. It must be a good one, we can't afford to get it wrong.

whoever we get is going to have a big task on his hands weeding out the crap and careful purchase of decent players to take the club forward , added to that this club badly needs a first class scouting set up to get the best of talent to ibrox

We definitely need a NuMan in charge of the team - oh my goodness Freudian slip there.:P

What about Ronald De Boer in there with him???? I know he has a good life at Ajax as assistant to his brother, but he always seems to answer the call for benefit matches etc, and still loves being around the place.

Something in me would love to see Laudrup back again in some capacity.

Edited by Anchorman

Along with David Weir's name sprang up that of Mark Warburton, who immediately joined the bookmakers' listings at 6/1 ...

Some info on him via the BBC

Mark Warburton: The ex-city trader aiming for the Premier League

A week is a long time in football. Just ask Brentford manager Mark Warburton.

Much has changed since BBC Sport was granted behind-the-scenes access to the inner workings of the Championship club. The snow which fell in London on that day may have melted away but a flurry of headlines and controversy have taken its place.

Warburton's future is now far from certain beyond the end of the season. It is thought the 52-year-old is unlikely to remain at the club even if he leads this previously unheralded football club into the top-flight for the first time in almost 70 years.

Whatever the summer brings, the news has thrust the city trader-turned-football manager into the spotlight, a place he readily admits he does not like. "I get a bit embarrassed by the attention," he says. "I am just here to do my job. That's it."

That job begins at 6am most mornings, when Warburton drives his 4x4 through the gates of Brentford's Jersey Road training ground. His assistant, David Weir, follows closely behind.

The men open up, switch on the lights, have coffee, plan the day ahead, discuss players, tactics, training. Early mornings are nothing new for Warburton. For more than 20 years, the former city trader's alarm clock went off at 4.32am, he left the house at 4.52am, got the 5.02am train to London's Liverpool Street station and was sitting at his desk 43 minutes later. "I traded Yen," he says as he settles into a Brentford red sofa in a room just off the office he shares with the rest of his coaching staff.

"It was demanding, yes, but I was well rewarded. The work ethic was a given and on a good day it was great - a team of traders working together, the teamwork, the communication, the desire. That feeling when you have a good day was in contrast to that horrible one, when your budget has been hit and you had to work to get it back the following day. But it was all about that camaraderie. The similarities to the dressing room are quite incredible."

Pressure, risk, reward, money - the parallels between football and trading are all there. Football has, however, always been in Warburton's blood. As a young boy, he was an apprentice at Leicester City, a year below one Gary Winston Lineker OBE. But professional terms did not come his way and he found himself playing part-time football for Enfield in the Conference when he saw a job advert: 'Wanted - a competitive animal, good with figures.'

"I responded and suddenly found myself in the world of the currency markets and trading," says Warburton. "It was just as competitive as football - and a new market for me to learn at the time. It changed as I got more senior, the amounts of turnover increased, the level of responsibility increased, the risk increased. I worked with some really good people, managers and colleagues. You learn a lot from them. As a junior, I was working in ones, twos and three millions. Then suddenly 10, 20, 30 millions. Then suddenly a whole new world opens up. It is a lot of risk reward and responsibility, but you thrive on it."

At the age of 41, Warburton felt a calling. With money in the bank and his house paid for, he took a 90% pay cut to go back to his first love - football. "Of course it was a risk, but you live once and I had to do it," he says. "I was back on the bottom rung of the ladder, pumping footballs up, driving kids around in a minibus. Of course there were times when I thought: 'What on earth am I doing here?' But it worked out."

His arrival at Brentford came after a period working alongside Brendan Rodgers and Sean Dyche at Watford. He had also started the hugely successful NextGen series for the best young players at Europe's biggest clubs. Young players are at the heart of what he is doing at Brentford. On the day of our visit, the youth team are shovelling the snow off the first-team pitch. Before the session gets under way, a camera is hoisted into the sky outside the changing room to film every pass, shot and dribble in training. An analysis session takes place after lunch.

BBC

Souness last had success in the 90s so is another silly suggestion. His career has always been a mixed bag and his last position was almost 10 years ago. Gio is number 2 with Feyenoord and Numan has been managing the Dutch B team and scouting too.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Try 9 years! He is too far out of touch now.