I will name a worse captain .... Paterson....

A good shout but I'm not buying that BlueSolace, Paterson while not the greatest was not as bad a player as Jig. But it is a good shout and as close as anyone has got to date!! I respect your opinion if you believe CP was worse than Jig as I didn't see a lot of CP, but I have seen far too much of Jig!

I speak only for myself when I say I have never liked him as a player. Let's not kid ourselves on that he stayed out of loyalty to the club, he couldn't get another club to take him on the £15Kpw outrageous wages we were paying him. He is an imposter to me as I have never believed he is Rangers class, and believe me I know that term itself has been completely downgraded in the last few years, and no matter how low we set the bar for "Rangers class" Jig will be well below it.

Im delighted that he will be absent from the side for at least the next few games, and content that his failed tenure as Rangers player and Captain is almost at an end.

While I have no intention in a race to the bottom, I would like to hear your opinion on the worst player to have captained us if it is not him. The only player with anywhere near as poor technical ability who was captain in my 30 years of going to games was Ricksen IMO.

I don't know a full list of people that have captained us but over the last years Fernando Ricksen must be the worst captain we have ever had. one good season in his Rangers years and the rest acting as an idiot. Jig certainly has been a better captain than Ricksen.

I don't know a full list of people that have captained us but over the last years Fernando Ricksen must be the worst captain we have ever had. one good season in his Rangers years and the rest acting as an idiot. Jig certainly has been a better captain than Ricksen.

You should have been at the first dinner, Pete: Rangers captains, Rangers Captains who also captained Scotland, and Rangers non-Scottish captains were all questions in the quiz.

Find the answers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rangers_F.C._players

"L

You should have been at the first dinner, Pete: Rangers captains, Rangers Captains who also captained Scotland, and Rangers non-Scottish captains were all questions in the quiz.

Find the answers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rangers_F.C._players

The list of players who represented their country while at Rangers is not correct, unless it means at any level.

Mediocre footballer and past merits being over-stated? Snatched from his spell at Wigan Athletic (2001-2007), where he went after playing 124 games for Motherwell, scoring 21 goals:

Rangers ...

With us he won three SPL titles, a Scottish Cup and three League Cups. People who do the above and help a club into a European final are usually not mediocre or "bad" footballers. Perhaps people get their memories straight and valuation standards on-line again?

As craig put it,

And that should be that.

I'm not sure what copying and pasting a wikipedia article achieves - I am aware of his history. Playing regularly for a very poor Wigan side means absolutely nothing, shortly after he left Gary Caldwell became their captain.

Perhaps you could tell me which particular position he has ever excelled in? What are/were his real qualities as a player?

Kirk Broadfoot also won a load of domestic honours and was in the starting lineup for the European final, do you consider him to be anything better than 'mediocre' or 'bad'? I think you'll find endless old firm players from the last 10 years who won a tonne of trophies and had very little talent.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I'm not sure what copying and pasting a wikipedia article achieves - I am aware of his history.

What gives you reason to think I was talking to you or challenging your deductive skills? Did I miss our marriage or something?

Playing regularly for a very poor Wigan side means absolutely nothing, shortly after he left Gary Caldwell became their captain.

Indeed, a "very poor" Wigan side that got themselves promoted to the EPL and stayed there while he was there. Lots of mediocre players and imposters inhabit these spheres, of course.

Perhaps you could tell me which particular position he has ever excelled in? What are/were his real qualities as a player?

Kirk Broadfoot also won a load of domestic honours and was in the starting lineup for the European final, do you consider him to be anything better than 'mediocre' or 'bad'? I think you'll find endless old firm players from the last 10 years who won a tonne of trophies and had very little talent.

The problem remains that you like some others have either rather unreasonable standards which are held against everyone playing football, or simply disregard the fact that people do not sign for EPL teams or Rangers FC if they are of the quality you attribute to them. And yes, I can envisage an incoming remark about the lack of quality from those managers who signed him ...

Generally, there is no doubt that McCulloch does not deserve to be in a starting slot as centre half any longer, and was not up for this task throughout this season either. That should have been evident to McCoist, McDowall, and Lee himself. To use that as a means to pour abuse on his career or person shows a significant lack of dignity though.

A good shout but I'm not buying that BlueSolace, Paterson while not the greatest was not as bad a player as Jig. But it is a good shout and as close as anyone has got to date!! I respect your opinion if you believe CP was worse than Jig as I didn't see a lot of CP, but I have seen far too much of Jig!

I have been thinking about this since yesterday and Gavin Rae came to me; surely Rae was a worst appointment than Jig?

I'm interested in how you define a good captain? Is it leadership and presence? or is it performances? I agree with your earlier posts about Jig not being a great player, but I would argue his presence is beneficial, and therefore has been a decent captain; again, certainly not the best, but I do not think he is the worst.

Only his negative influence. He really is a wasted jersey now. I was at the QotS and Livvy games and it is scary how he slows the game to a snail's pace even when we are shifting the ball from left to right or vice versa. He is done. He doesn't motivate team-mates, gets caught for pace, isn't particularly strong in the air defensively, plays too slow, poor first touch, looks for the long aimless ball far too often. Which part of his influence are we missing again ?

As for his age..... tough. This is professional sport. No opponent slows by a yard because you are 15 years older than him. Davie Weir played with us till he was 41 and we very, very rarely talked about his age other than to consider how remarkable it was that he was still playing so well at the top of the game. In McCulloch's case you seem to be making it an excuse for him - if that is the case then he really DOES need to hang up the boots. The minute age becomes an excuse is the minute you should consider retiring....

He really cant keep up with the rest of the team though. He now lacks mobility alongside pace he never had anyway, which makes him a liability especially when playing at the back.

He has served his time, but his time should be at an end.

On reflection I agree with you about age; it should never be an excuse. That wasn't my point though. My point was that he is actually in good nick for a 36/37 year old, and I didn't think anyone could challenge his fitness. It seems I was wrong.

We never criticised Weir when he was done for pace - it happened on occassion - but we are quick to criticise Jig for the same thing. I think he's taking the brunt of it.

He's never been a great player, but neither was Novo, but Novo doesn't get criticised.

Also, he is too old to play, so I think it would be best to let his contract run down. But he should be thanked and praised for his service.