Mohsni in midfield?

Let's remain calm, discussion only.

When we signed the wayward Tunisian, I trolled the Shrimpers forum and enquired of the Southend fans' opinion? The answers kept coming for several days, a seaside air of intrigue enveloped Bilel. Apparently, he disappeared twice, once for two weeks, without explanation. He was a cult figure among some, others hated him; all agreed he was unpredictable. I was surprised that United mostly played him in midfield, often wide right; hence some of the early reports on Mohsni being a wing back/winger.

A couple of replies concluded his best position was central midfield. The advantages as a defensive central midfielder are, he is out of central defence and the back four, and any mistakes can theoretically be recovered. He has an ability to nick a ball, can tackle/challenge when concentrating, and has comparatively quick feet in tight situations. I suppose we can all accept Black's future at Rangers, is behind him. In the short term, we need someone to bolster our engine room for the run-in, and hopefully a successful run of play-offs.

In conclusion, I am desperate and would give him a go in the next few games.

Let's remain calm, discussion only.

When we signed the wayward Tunisian, I trolled the Shrimpers forum and enquired of the Southend fans' opinion? The answers kept coming for several days, a seaside air of intrigue enveloped Bilel. Apparently, he disappeared twice, once for two weeks, without explanation. He was a cult figure among some, others hated him; all agreed he was unpredictable. I was surprised that United mostly played him in midfield, often wide right; hence some of the early reports on Mohsni being a wing back/winger.

A couple of replies concluded his best position was central midfield. The advantages as a defensive central midfielder are, he is out of central defence and the back four, and any mistakes can theoretically be recovered. He has an ability to nick a ball, can tackle/challenge when concentrating, and has comparatively quick feet in tight situations. I suppose we can all accept Black's future at Rangers, is behind him. In the short term, we need someone to bolster our engine room for the run-in, and hopefully a successful run of play-offs.

In conclusion, I am desperate and would give him a go in the next few games.

If he plays in defense then we should expect mistakes. That's a fact.

Midfield? I'm not convinced. I think we have better options. I would give him a go at wing-back; I hadn't thought of it.

The man is a complete enigma. Exceptional at times, and a complete liability. Crazy.

This sounds like all the excuses people were making for Jig when the penny drops that he was no good for whatever position he was currently destroying.

The answer here is that he has always played CH, was signed as a CH, has played and failed for us at CH, and if we have better options for CH (we do!), then he doesnt play and is told to find another club.

Trying to find another positions for someone with so many obvious flaws in his game is papering over the cracks. We should learn from the Jig experience and get rid.

I felt a bit sorry for Mohsni last night and felt he was our best player.

However, it's clear to me guys like him, Law and Templeton are not good enough. Quality means consistency of performance and none of these guys have this.

Time to start again.

This sounds like all the excuses people were making for Jig when the penny drops that he was no good for whatever position he was currently destroying.

The answer here is that he has always played CH, was signed as a CH, has played and failed for us at CH, and if we have better options for CH (we do!), then he doesnt play and is told to find another club.

Trying to find another positions for someone with so many obvious flaws in his game is papering over the cracks. We should learn from the Jig experience and get rid.

You are probably correct.

However, in the spirit of Scott7's contribution, I am reminded we signed Tam Forsyth as a Scottish League capped central midfielder. I witnessed Jim Denny's debut as a right back in a Scottish Cup final(man of the match), never saw him play there again, Alex Miller was a free scoring inside forward in the reserves,, in excess of 300 games in the first team as left back/left midfield. During Walter's tenure, did we have a right back who was NOT a central defender? Derek Parlane was a right half ............

Didn't dB moot this very same question some weks ago? To which I would reiterate; the only advantage of having Moshni in midfield is that when he fucks up he still has the defense behind him to help sort it out.

let's bear in mind that he may show some skills (as he did last night) that are noteworthy for a defender, but he hasn' shown anything that suggests he would be comfortable in midfield (other than in some sort of Libero role - yes, there I've done it; compared Franz Beckenbauer to Bilel Mohsni - sue me). The obvious solution is, let's keep him in defense and have him marked by McGregor until the end of the season, then sell him to anyone who'll give us a penny for him.