Daily Record back page

You may well be right about the sequence of events.

The reason I remember the bit about the UEFA delegate was that at the time no one could work out how Celtic knew about it.

My recollection is that the punishment was automatic after that but I may be wrong and don't have time right now to look it up.

I'm more worried about our first trip to Kazakhstan in the ELQ4 in a couple of year's time TBH.

It won't be a problem..just have Borat for the in flight movie and nothing can go wrong

seen on FF

Kenny MacDonald of the Sun gives the scum both barrells
This really isn't going the way Fat Pete envisaged devil.gifdevil.gif

PITY poor Celtic. What a week they’ve had.

On the wrong end of a reffing howler in the Cup semi-final. Their treble hopes up in smoke. And now some loony from the Green Brigade has somehow got into their offices, fired up their computers, and sent a complaint about Sunday’s game to the SFA.

If not someone from the Green Brigade, then presumably it’s been someone from the wild-eyed lunatic fringe element of their support.

How else can you explain the sort of completely off-their-meds wibble-wibble hatstand stuff they came out with on Monday afternoon?

With one single 113-word statement, Celtic managed to completely undermine the reputation their football has helped them towards this season.

It would be a curious onlooker who suggested the champions-in-waiting haven’t been the best footballing team in the country this season. They currently have the three best players in Scotland in their ranks, in Craig Gordon, Stefan Johansen and Virgil van Dijk. No one else comes close to that trio.

Their new manager is a sane, articulate and cheery bloke who has somehow gone from being a total unknown to fans’ darling in the space of six months.

And now, this hogwash.

There’s something uniquely deluded about the supporters of a club whose trophy haul is one of the biggest in the world history of the game suffering from a persecution complex. But here they come, whining about being “robbed” because a referee made a simple mistake in a match.

And such is Celtic’s bloated, self-important sense of entitlement that they can come out with all this guff about being “inundated” and “the level of reaction from our supporters” with a straight face.

It’s insulting to the intelligence of any sane onlooker and all Peter Lawwell and Co. have done is pander to the paranoid element of Celtic’s support who see every decision which goes against them rooted in bias, bigotry and good old-fashioned sectarianism.

Among the element of their support who take a more measured view of things, Celtic’s puffed-up, arrogant response to being bounced out of the Scottish Cup is a source of embarrassment – as well it should be.

They’ll know that, for the foreseeable future, anything that goes against Celtic will lead to mocking suggestions they’ll be seeking more ‘clarification’ for the latest perceived wrong done to them.

But if Celtic’s conduct over the matter has been risible, cowardly and morally indefensible, what of our chums on the sixth floor at Hampden?

Ernie Walker and his ilk must be spinning in their graves at the SFA’s craven response to Celtic’s letter.

In Ernie’s day, Celtic’s ludicrous complaint wouldn’t even have got a written reply.

He’d have been on the phone, barking, “It says here you want to understand the circumstances of what went on. OK, here goes. The ref and his assistant made a mistake, end of story. Grow up.”

For Compliance Officer Tony McGlennan – who’s looking a more petty and absurd figure with every passing week – to yesterday issue Inverness’ Josh Meekings with a Notice of Complaint simply looks needlessly vindictive, and again you have to wonder if he’d have been as pro-active on it if Celtic hadn’t been banging their spoon on their high-chair in their customary manner of attracting attention.

While we’re at it, if Meekings is being done because of something the ref didn’t see on Sunday, why hasn’t Lukasz Zaluska been done for thumping Edward Ofere like a train hitting the buffers?

The referee obviously didn’t see that, or he’d have awarded Inverness a penalty, no?

The whole affair has left Celtic’s manager Ronny Deila in something of a spot.

He didn’t show up for yesterday’s pre-match press conference – John Collins toed the 'we just want an answer to a question' party line, highly unconvincingly – but Deila will have to speak to the media after tonight’s game at Dens.

He’s a sharp guy and I suspect deep down he’ll be bemused at his new club’s stance on the semi-final matter.

Without any of the diseased worldview which infects some of Celtic’s more rabid support, he’ll know his side didn’t get a penalty on Sunday because the referee made an error – an error, incidentally, which has conveniently removed the spotlight on how poorly his front quartet of Griffiths, Johansen, Commons and Forrest played in the game.

Whether or not he’ll say that, though, is another matter. I’d anticipate more babble of the type Collins came out with yesterday about the club having “moved on” when it’s clear that’s the last thing they want to do.

Personally, I’d like to see two things now happen. I hope tonight’s Dens ref, Calum Murray, has a good game.

Otherwise there’s going to be more sanctimonious drivel from Celtic about how beastly their treatment from referees is.

And second, for the good of the sport, it’s to be hoped Meekings’ appeal against his Cup Final ban succeeds.

The precedent for supporting him is there, in Law 5 of the game – “The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.”

Amen to that. Hopefully...

FIFA Boss Says SFA Wrong to Act in Handball Case

22 Apr 2015 — http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/22/uk-soccer-scotland-inverness-idUKKBN0ND1FP20150422

Jim Boyce, Britain's FIFA vice-president and the head of FIFA's refereeing committee, said he was totally opposed to the intervention by the compliance officer.

"This sets a very dangerous precedent, I am absolutely, 100 percent against the compliance officer becoming involved because the referee's decision is final.

"It is a totally different matter if someone has gone over the top, or committed a serious foul, or head-butted someone and the referee has missed it.

"Those are disciplinary issues. But what happened here is that the referee has made a mistake regarding a handball and that's the end of it. There is no way the player should now be disciplined for that.

"Whose to say it was even intentional? If the Scottish FA or their referees committee decide that they feel a serious mistake was made then they could take action in the future against that referee.

"I can understand why Celtic are annoyed because they felt they should have had a penalty kick, but these things happen at all levels of football every week.

"The only punishment, if any punishment at all is due, should be made if the Scottish FA feel the officials in charge of this game acted improperly and made the wrong decision."

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-football-association-withdraw-the-notice-of-complaint-issued-against-josh-meekings/u/10578266?tk=1CgVpW-EDQeCbTwM-4GhyHQxxr1IxYomqI1vJUtyyDQ&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt about deliberate but in a game I would expect a sending off and penalty. If it was like rugby a goal would be given. However, the officials missed it and that happens in game after game. That lot have had a lot more in their favour and they get lawyers in to defend their players when they are obviously guilty.

I agree with Gordon Smith that we need to introduce two challenges a game that are referred to the TV replay judge. (And if you win the challenge you don't lose it.) The higher levels of the game can easily afford it and the amount of money that a bad decision could cost a club is disproportionate. Forget it in the lower leagues and amateur stuff, but the top leagues and cups should be allowed to decide if they want it and it should be compulsory in UEFA competitions and internationals.

I've been saying something like this for many years. The question I'm sometimes asked by the likes of the Tims, who just don't get fairness, is what if your team lose games because of the technology, and my answer is always, I have no problem losing a game fair and square. I do have a problem with losing unfairly, but as long as that unfairness is consistent, I'll take the smooth with the rough - ie if we win by a bad decision, I'll be a bit embarrassed but happy to keep the points or the place in the next round as things usually tend to even out over time.

I do believe if the game was a lot fairer and rules applied more consistently we'd actually be a more successful club - thinking about the likes of Marseilles and our game congestion for the UEFA final and SPL finish, and much more. We seem to get treated unfairly at pretty crucial times. I also believe Celtic would be much worse off as they have manipulated so much into their favour from which they have benefited from and which will never even out.

Although I can see some merit in a system where challenges are allowed, I'm not sure that I want it introduced.

Every late or last minute goal would be challenged and this robs the fans of the golden moment when a winning goal is scored. Everything is put on hold.

I can see other problems too. Remember when Celtic had a goal disallowed against Rangers after a 'soft' challenge against the Rangers keeper? Replay after replay never put an end to that one. It was debated for weeks.

Imagine a challenge after a winning goal is scored in a crowded box after a corner. An infringement is not that difficult to find if a microscope is used to seek one out.

The problem here is one club: Celtic. It cannot accept defeat with good grace. It never could. Let's not re-write the rule book to suit a club which will ALWAYS find a way to scream injustice.

Edited by Hildy

FIFA Boss Says SFA Wrong to Act in Handball Case

22 Apr 2015 — http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/22/uk-soccer-scotland-inverness-idUKKBN0ND1FP20150422

Jim Boyce, Britain's FIFA vice-president and the head of FIFA's refereeing committee, said he was totally opposed to the intervention by the compliance officer.

"This sets a very dangerous precedent, I am absolutely, 100 percent against the compliance officer becoming involved because the referee's decision is final.

"It is a totally different matter if someone has gone over the top, or committed a serious foul, or head-butted someone and the referee has missed it.

"Those are disciplinary issues. But what happened here is that the referee has made a mistake regarding a handball and that's the end of it. There is no way the player should now be disciplined for that.

"Whose to say it was even intentional? If the Scottish FA or their referees committee decide that they feel a serious mistake was made then they could take action in the future against that referee.

"I can understand why Celtic are annoyed because they felt they should have had a penalty kick, but these things happen at all levels of football every week.

"The only punishment, if any punishment at all is due, should be made if the Scottish FA feel the officials in charge of this game acted improperly and made the wrong decision."

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-football-association-withdraw-the-notice-of-complaint-issued-against-josh-meekings/u/10578266?tk=1CgVpW-EDQeCbTwM-4GhyHQxxr1IxYomqI1vJUtyyDQ&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Surely this FIFA intervention makes the position of the SFA Compliance Officer untenable?

He must go of his own accord or be sacked

Well!,we can safely say that the ref tonight in their fixture at Dundee is under more than normal pressure and will also be under the microscope!,good luck to him and I hope he has a good game.

This should be the end of many at the sfa.

It is corrupt and run for the benefit of one club. The circumstances behind the appointments of Rhegan, Lunny & the latest yahoo Compliance Officer need investigated.

The vindictive punishment handed out to Josh Meekings is testimony to the way it is being run. Are they stupid enough to go against what FIFA are saying?

Just as a matter of interest as I am watching the Livi hibs game and see closed stands on both sides, does that stupid 10.000 seat stadium rule still exist?

Edited by pete