Daily Record back page

His eyes are closed. It's a penalty for sure. It's simply not deliberate. It's ball to hand not hand to ball.

Can you not do things deliberately with your eyes closed?

Does that mean that blind people never do anything deliberately, like cross the street?

His eyes are closed. It's a penalty for sure. It's simply not deliberate. It's ball to hand not hand to ball.

The Laws of the Game are specific on this issue.

It can only be a foul or penalty if the player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"; however what constitutes deliberate is not specified but this article is useful guidance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4524354.stm

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Inverness’ Josh Meekings charged by Scottish FA over Celtic ‘handball’

21 April 2015 16:32 BST

Inverness Caledonian Thistle's Josh Meekings has been hit with a Scottish FA notice of complaint over a handball incident in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Celtic.

The governing body’s compliance officer has offered the player a one-match ban, which could see him miss the final, with the club taking the matter to a disciplinary panel.

Action has been taken after a controversial incident in Sunday’s semi-final, which Caley Thistle won 3-2 in extra-time.

Meekings is now set to appear in person at Hampden on Thursday, April 23.

With Celtic leading 1-0 through a Virgil van Dijk free-kick, Meekings prevented a Leigh Griffiths header going in with his arm a yard from goal.

No penalty was given, despite referee Steven McLean and additional assistant referee Alan Muir being close to the incident.

Scottish FA rules allow the compliance officer to act where an alleged sending-off offence has been missed by match officials.

Inverness CT: Josh is mentally shattered at the turn of events

In a statement, Caley Thistle confirmed they will be contesting the decision.

It read: "Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC can confirm that it has declined the fixed one match suspension offer in relation to the Notice of Complaint issued to Josh Meekings following an alleged breach of Disciplinary Rule 200 at the ICTFC v Celtic game on Sunday, 19th March 2015.

"The club intends to vigorously defend our player and is taking legal advice on the issue.

"We are extremely disappointed that this has arisen and the player himself is mentally shattered at the turn of events.

"Josh is keen to appear in person at the disciplinary hearing and we will most strongly support him by all means available.

"The club will be making no further comment before the disciplinary hearing."

Meekings admitted he had handled the ball and expressed relief that he was not sent off at the time.

Asked about the incident, Meekings told STV: "It has come off my arm, I've said that.

"He's [Griffiths] two yards away and I've gone to throw my body in the way and unfortunately it's come off my hand but fortunately at the same time it hasn't been given.

"I'm absolutely delighted I was able to carry on and play the game.”

Griffiths also commented on the incident. He said: "You would need to ask the referee and the assistant behind the goal why they thought it wasn't a penalty.

"I asked the centre-half during the game if it hit his hand or his face and he said 'hand, 100%'."

"Who says he's done it on purpose?"

Speaking on Tuesday prior to the notice of complaint being issued, Inverness CT boss John Hughes rejected suggestions Meekings should have a case to answer.

"It's done and dusted," he told STV. "If they are going to do that, I'll just get all the video tapes out and go back and say 'What about this, what about that?'.

"Who says he's done it on purpose? For me that's your initial reaction, you're going to head the ball and your hand comes up. Who says he's done it on purpose?

"That would be absolutely unbelievable [if a notice of complaint was issued].

"I'm honest enough to tell you it's one we got away with. I don't think it was deliberate. I think Josh went to try and get his head on it and the hand comes up.

"The referee never saw it, play on, one we got away with and it was probably the bit of luck we needed."

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/inverness/317900-inverness-josh-meekings-charged-by-scottish-fa-over-celtic-handball/

Are the Laws of the Game specific about the actions of a goalkeeper when he deliberately punches the back of an opponent's head within said goalkeeper's 18-yard box, whether his eyes are closed or not?

Should the Compliance Officer issue the C1888c goalkeeper with a notice of complaint?

My God what is happening to the game of football?

I've only seen it once but I seem to recall Meekings pointing to his cheek as though the ball had hit him there. All players cheat like that, I know, even over trivial throw-ins (and I detest it) but it puts his comments above in perspective. "I admitted" = "I admitted it after lying about it until I saw the TV had me bang to rights"

Can you not do things deliberately with your eyes closed?

Does that mean that blind people never do anything deliberately, like cross the street?

They wouldn't make it as goal keeper!,most keepers would struggle to get their hands on that,Meekins has already said it wasn't deliberate!,so now he is also a liar and a cheat?, this would never be an issue with any other club,they have history in getting clarification,they should be dealt with for bringing the game into disrepute,again!,but most likely is the referees career will probably be over,again they have history of this.

This whole thing now smacks of vindictiveness from the SFA does it not?

Had the yahoos still gone on and won the game(without the said penalty & redcard)would Meekings have been issued with this?

I think not

We all know who are running the SFA and it is so apparent where their allegiances are

Are the Laws of the Game specific about the actions of a goalkeeper when he deliberately punches the back of an opponent's head within said goalkeeper's 18-yard box, whether his eyes are closed or not?

Should the Compliance Officer issue the C1888c goalkeeper with a notice of complaint?

My God what is happening to the game of football?

I haven't seen it but of course the answer to both questions would YES