The Messi arguments are out again claiming him to be the greatest ever. People tend to live in the now with decisions like this plus its a generation thing. There is no doubt Messi is currently the best and the best of a generation but as or all time best its still a no for me.

Its an argument that has no answer, but would be interesting to see who is the best from YOUR time watching football.

Maradona IMO cant be touched. Imagine how good he would have been today with the better pitches and easier game where tackling has become a foul. He was unplayable in the 80s. He also did it with Napoli who weren't in the top 5 in the world like Barca is now.

I also think Zidane is still ahead of Messi as he also won the WC, Euro Champs, CL.....

The Fat Ronaldo was also sublime.

In my generation I will go.

1. Maradona

2. Zidane

3. The real Ronaldo (Messi could surpass him very soon though)

Edited by Gribz

Maradona and Messi at the top. Messi may be a bit premature as he is still playing but his contributions in both goals and assists to the team consistently since he broke into the team has been top notch. Pretty subjective topic as best player could be someone you consider as good at defending as going forward, but creative players who get about the opposition are usually top of my list.

I agree with Laudbertz: it's a very subjective question that invariably consists of forwards.

We'd be better picking a Greatest XI, so defenders, 'keepers etc. are included.

Edited by Rousseau

Messi is a better player than both Ronaldo's for me. Also better than Zidane in my opinion, although very different types of player. Zidane was a wonderful player and did indeed win international championships, but winning those championships doesn't always mean a great deal. George Best was a fantastic talent but what did he win at international level ? Nothing. Giggs, wonderful player but what did he win at international level ? Nothing.

Remember, Zidane played with fantastic players in Petit, Viera, Barthez, Thuram, Desailly, LeBeouf, Lizarazu, Deschamps, Djorkaeff - Viera couldn't even make the starting XI in WC 98. I'm not saying Messi doesn't play alongside some great players but that France team was almost a "who's who" of world football.

Argentina would have won WC14 had it not been for a very strong German team - and sometimes you simply can't prevent that from happening whereby you come up against a team slightly better than you.

Where Maradona possibly shades it over Messi is that Maradona legitimately single-handedly won a World Cup for Argentina... and had he not been taking drugs in 94 could very easily have done it again with a very ordinary Argentinian team.

Messi is fantastic in an era where parking the bus is more prevalent than ever.

Not only scores dozens of vital goals but creates many more.

Generally though, it's an impossible question to answer fairly.

Messi is fantastic in an era where parking the bus is more prevalent than ever.

Not only scores dozens of vital goals but creates many more.

Generally though, it's an impossible question to answer fairly.

This for me is the decisive factor. No team has ever been faced with such defensive tactics so often and yet time after time he beats them.

For me it's

1. Messi 2. Zidane 3. Maradona

This for me is the decisive factor. No team has ever been faced with such defensive tactics so often and yet time after time he beats them.

For me it's

1. Messi 2. Zidane 3. Maradona

I would err slightly differently....

1. Messi

2. Maradona

3. Pele

I don't think Zidane deserves to be in the top 3. I think there have been a number of better players than Zidane, though wouldn't dispute him being world class

Edited by craig

Thought about Puskas but decided on di Stefano.

Having said that, Cruyff could play a bit and the more I reflect on it perhaps it's Messi after all.

Alfredo di Stefano is a good shout but it's the one and only Alexei Mikhailichenko for me followed of course by a certain Mr Hemdani. :D

Seriously has to be Messi, no other player mentioned is faced with packed defences week in week out and still scores record numbers of goals.