No matter Sunday's result

To be fair to McCall he can only do so much with the dross he has available , the fact Shane Ferguson was trusted to get us out of trouble told its own story

McCall was probably the best we could get in the circumstances at the time he was appointed.

Can you see him dropping to the Scottish second division?

No, I don't think that's realistic. But on a purely hypothetical level, he would get us to a certain level, bringing in players to do a job and I have been impressed with his work at the backroom level--there are a few stories about his excellent work to modernise Bolton with modern departments etc.--but then he wouldn't bring the 'good' football we would like. I think I'd prefer someone like McClaren: more of a coach, and a talented one at that, who can get us playing the right way, and he's certainly capable of rebuilding our backroom departments.

Both are unrealistic.

We don't have the variety or size of squad we need. That's partly the reason why I've said I would keep most of the players we have, because I think they are OK--I certainly couldn't question their work-rate last night, just their decision making and finishing--, and with more acquisitions, more variety in the positions we would perform better with a decent coach (McCall is not the answer--too similar to McCoist--, but should be thanked for the work he has done: he can only work with what he's got).

Edited by Rousseau

We don't have the variety or size of squad we need. That's partly the reason why I've said I would keep most of the players we have, because I think they are OK--I certainly couldn't question their work-rate last night, just their decision making and finishing--, and with more acquisitions, more variety in the positions we would perform better with a decent coach (McCall is not the answer--too similar to McCoist--, but should be thanked for the work he has done: he can only work with what he's got).

Seriously, you would keep most of the players we've got ?

Sitting on the bench or in the stand earning tens of thousands p.w. ?

Can't see the board being too keen on that idea

Bench. We should get rid of the higher earners: a squad player shouldn't be on more than a starter. But then again, a squad player is not going to be on peanuts.

I genuinely feel these players would perform better with a good coach. We lack ideas going forward, but I think that's coaching. If someone could coach them into making better runs, or to move better etc. we'd see a better product on the park (of course that doesn't translate into finishing, which has been abysmal). We were caught on the counter several times last night, but IMO that's not a failure of the players, or their work-rate, but a failure of the tactics: having 1 sitting and and 2 CBs and the rest 'going for it', it was inevitable really. I couldn't fault their work-rate. I would criticise their creativity, and finishing; the former is the coaching, the latter the individual.

Edited by Rousseau

Bench. We should get rid of the higher earners: a squad player shouldn't be on more than a starter. But then again, a squad player is not going to be on peanuts.

I genuinely feel these players would perform better with a good coach. We lack ideas going forward, but I think that's coaching. If someone could coach them into making better runs, or to move better etc. we'd see a better product on the park (of course that doesn't translate into finishing, which has been abysmal). We were caught on the counter several times last night, but IMO that's not a failure of the players, or their work-rate, but a failure of the tactics: having 1 sitting and and 2 CBs and the rest 'going for it', it was inevitable really. I couldn't fault their work-rate. I would criticise their creativity, and finishing; the former is the coaching, the latter the individual.

We need a complete new squad of better calibre players and a new manager with a sound tactical knowledge of the modern game and who, preferably, has numerous contacts in the game to recruit these better players.

We need a complete new squad of better calibre players and a new manager with a sound tactical knowledge of the modern game and who, preferably, has numerous contacts in the game to recruit these better players.

Of course, I agree. However, I doubt that we can sign 24 new players better than we have during 1 summer. I think it'd be much more realistic to keep most of what we have and sign better calibre players to add to our squad. The 'coach' is absolutely key.