Colin "Bomber"Jackson RIP

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9429-colin-jackson

RANGERS Football Club is deeply saddened to announce former defender Colin Jackson has died.

Colin lost his battle with cancer and sadly passed away peacefully last night surrounded by his family.

Former teammate and close friend John Greig commented: “I have known for some time how ill Colin was but I am devastated by the news that he has passed away, I have lost a great friend and my thoughts are with his family at this very difficult time.”

The Rangers Hall of Fame member and Scotland internationalist was a towering centre-half who gave the Light Blues 20 years of tremendous service, winning every major domestic honour with the Club in more than 500 appearances.

Born in London on October 8 1946, Rangers signed Colin from Sunnybank Athletic in Aberdeen in 1963. He was a tall, slender stopper who was excellent at reading games and denying opponents goalscoring opportunities.

Unfortunately he failed a fitness test on the eve of the 1972 Cup Winners' Cup Final in Barcelona but played a significant role in getting the Club to the latter stages of the competition.

Rangers fans will always remember the closing moments of the 1978-79 League Cup Final against Aberdeen when Colin headed the winning goal in the 90th minute.

Colin was also instrumental in setting up the Former Rangers' Players Benevolent Fund with John Greig, Sandy Jardine and Peter McCloy and he was a regular in the hospitality suites at Ibrox for many years.

Rangers Chairman Dave King commented: “On behalf of everyone at Rangers Football Club I would like to send my sincere condolences to Colin's family and friends at this very sad time. Colin will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him.”

Very sad news indeed.

A player from the era I grew up watching Rangers. Centre half combination of Jackson/Johstone or Jackson/Forsyth.

An underrated player imo.

I never realised he was at RANGERS so long.

Condolences to his family.

Edited by Little General

Rangers have had mighty centre halves during my time - Willie Woodburn, Geordie Young, Willie Telfer, Bill Paterson then Ronnie McKinnon. Colin Jackson well deserves to be in that number