A Duty For Generations

To me I have always defined a "supporter" as one who financially supports the club with attendance at matches if geographically able to, or perhaps through membership schemes, merchandise, club TV etc for those based outwith the local area.

Those who wish our club every success over our rivals and want us to win every game, perhaps discuss all things Rangers are what I call "fans". The difference between the two is one is financially supportive of the club, and the other is not. Both have a place on places like Gersnet and fans views are no less valid than supporters views. That is just always been my definition, rightly or wrongly.

There are plenty of folk I know who 'chose' to follow Rangers, and for a variety of reasons. Not everyone is from a dyed in the wool bluenose family.

It's definitely true that the support grows during times of success. Some are glory supporters who drift away when fortunes turn, but some will be hooked and stick with it and hopefully pass on that loyalty to their kids.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm Rangers till I die. All the shit that's been thrown in the way of our success these past few years just makes me more determined to see things put right.

We've been busted down to the foot of Scottish football, and we've been beset by parasitic owners, but we're still going, and we're in a better position this year than we were last year. And I'm optimistic we'll be in an even better position next year.

Edited by Thinker

'Follow', or 'support'? One can 'follow' any side one likes. I 'follow' several sides because I like the way they play. I 'support' one side. (I'm not saying I'm right, it's just the way I feel.)

What are the reasons?

Those with Fathers who either weren't that interested in football or supported a local team; those who went to a game and got hooked even if they hadn't been bothered about football; those who liked the Protestant / Loyalist side of things and I also have a mate from South London who had no connection to the club in any way, had always liked them and now does regular trips of over one thousand miles for games.

The point is, for this season anyway, that they have got to win. Good, entertaining football is desirable but a secondary goal this season.

You can go to a game and see us win and be entertained with good football, you can see us win and not be entertained, you can see us lose and play good football or you could see us lose and not be entertained.

In sixty years of supporting Rangers I have never seen a season where every game was good entertaining football and we won too.

If everything is good you are happy, if not you are not so happy. The best you can hope for is that your team is playing good enough that you expect to win every match. No matter what, a supporter continues to 'follow, follow'.

I

We've been busted down to the foot of Scottish football, and we've been beset by parasitic owners, but we're still going, and we're in a better position this year than we were last year. And I'm optimistic we'll be in an even better position next year.

Spot on analysis. Hope the last sentence is prophetic.

I thought that was an excellent piece mate and while I can understand some of the mild criticism from others, I think that there is a lot of merit in fans playing their part this season by supporting the new regime and new manager via high season ticket sales.

Most, if not all of us, have all complained about the politics and/or the football in recent times and have gave those as (somewhat valid) reasons for not attending games. Well, now the regime and the manager has changed - as will many of the players - so I think these reasons now become excuses if we don't go.

I'm not saying everyone MUST go but I do think it's fair to expect larger numbers.

I will certainly be renewing.

I thought that was an excellent piece mate and while I can understand some of the mild criticism from others, I think that there is a lot of merit in fans playing their part this season by supporting the new regime and new manager via high season ticket sales.

Most, if not all of us, have all complained about the politics and/or the football in recent times and have gave those as (somewhat valid) reasons for not attending games. Well, now the regime and the manager has changed - as will many of the players - so I think these reasons now become excuses if we don't go.

I'm not saying everyone MUST go but I do think it's fair to expect larger numbers.

I will certainly be renewing.

A wise man once said:

My recommendation is to do nothing until they see the business plan. If there is a commitment to raise funds then the fans should back it. But if the business plan turns out to be more modest then the fans will have to think very carefully. Withholding season ticket money is a huge decision. But let’s give the board the chance to demonstrate that they will honour what they have publicly stated.

;)

A wise man once said:

;)

I'm sure we could all pull quotes from whatever period we like to infer inconsistency but at some point we need to either back the regime we voted for or the club will continue to struggle.

Everyone is capable of making up their own mind about King's intentions. Mine is made up but I respect that others may reserve their opinion (and cash) until a later date.

I'm sure we could all pull quotes from whatever period we like to infer inconsistency but at some point we need to either back the regime we voted for or the club will continue to struggle.

Everyone is capable of making up their own mind about King's intentions. Mine is made up but I respect that others may reserve their opinion (and cash) until a later date.

I'm happy for everyone to make up their own mind too, Frankie, indeed I am fed up listening to people dictating how others should spend their money or what type of supporter they should be, but I also feel that King's board should be closely watched and held to the various promises that were made prior to their power grab. I hope that I am shown to have been concerned over nothing.