Can Rangers fans embrace being a selling club?

Can we please stop with the "sniff sniff" snidey remarks. It really isn't needed.

I can't see how it's sniff sniff, it's pointing out that someone who purports to be a Rangers fan is highly twisting the facts to make Celtic look much better than Rangers.It's so weird it really needs to be commented on, but if nothing else it needs to be pointed out the nonsense of it. The question is not if he's a Tim, it's why in hell would he do that?

Edited by calscot

I'd rather Rangers didn't make a profit. I rather we broke even and won loads of trophies. If we develop low cost players to be worth millions, I hope we keep them.

Yes, can't you? I'm sure you're a lot better than me at naming the Celtic ones...

Yet more evidence you are wired to the moon.

You seem to be the one applying extreme, Celtic minded spin. We have not been able to sell players for large sums so much in your last 5 year period largely because of what has happened to Rangers over the last 4 years. Rangers fans know the story, you seem to be deliberately ignoring it to make Celtic look better. I really can't see your relevance given the mitigating circumstances.

I shouldn't have to point it out on this forum but you seem in ignorance - we lost quite a lot of valuable players for nothing during the insolvency event, and since then have been struggling to get back on our feet while being completely mismanaged and having our money siphoned off by charlatans, and notwithstanding playing in the lower Scottish leagues. A comparison of sales during this time without some qualification is meaningless.

I think you must be the only one on here not to get that and I wouldn't be surprised if you start comparing SPL titles in the last 5 years next. Or UEFA coefficients, or whatever.

I see you decided not to list these '11 or 12' players.

Our failure at making profits out of players started a lot further back than when we went into administration. As I already said, they have generated more in the last 5 years than we have in the last 10.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Yet more evidence you are wired to the moon.

Usual pathetic reply with no ability to make a cohesive point. I'm inferring you think Rangers eventually breaking even and winning trophies is mad, and you are unable to name 11 players from the 2011 Rangers squad who could have potentially sold for at least 1m? Presumably you think that that valuation is mad too? Not surprising given your antipathy towards most Rangers players.

Usual pathetic reply with no ability to make a cohesive point. I'm inferring you think Rangers eventually breaking even and winning trophies is mad, and you are unable to name 11 players from the 2011 Rangers squad who could have potentially sold for at least 1m? Presumably you think that that valuation is mad too? Not surprising given your antipathy towards most Rangers players.

You are the one who believes we had 'we had 11 or 12 players worth more than £1m in the squad'. You don't seem to be able to back this up by stating who these players are. Operating at a profit is obviously something we should be aiming for.

I see you decided not to list these '11 or 12' players.

That's because I shouldn't have to for someone who purports to be a knowledgeable Rangers fan. I thought you might remember most of them, or at least be able to look it up but it seems you're struggling to name any.

I'll help educate you - at the start of the 2011 season, players potentially worth £1m or more:

Bougherra, Jelavić, Wallace, McGregor, Davis, Lafferty, Naismith, Whittaker, Aluko, Ness, Wylde.

Bougherra and Jelavić were sold that season for more than £1m and Wallace was just bought for a sum exceeding that, so no-brainers. Ness and Wylde were young players who showed potential getting a run in the best team in Scotland at the time, and went to Stoke (Prem) and Bolton (just relegated to Championship with parachute payments), which suggests they could have fetched £1m fees.

The others have proven their £1m+ status by their wages at high status clubs, and/or subsequent sell on fees. This was a team that outperformed Celtic before the shit hit the fan, despite lack of investment by Whyte.

Our failure at making profits out of players started a lot further back than when we went into administration.

You specified five year period doesn't quite allow "a lot further back". But even then, a lot further back, we weren't exactly a selling club, quite the opposite. A lot of people have fond memories of that.

That's because I shouldn't have to for someone who purports to be a knowledgeable Rangers fan. I thought you might remember most of them, or at least be able to look it up but it seems you're struggling to name any.

I'll help educate you - at the start of the 2011 season, players potentially worth £1m or more:

Bougherra, Jelavić, Wallace, McGregor, Davis, Lafferty, Naismith, Whittaker, Aluko, Ness, Wylde.

Bougherra and Jelavić were sold that season for more than £1m and Wallace was just bought for a sum exceeding that, so no-brainers. Ness and Wylde were young players who showed potential getting a run in the best team in Scotland at the time, and went to Stoke (Prem) and Bolton (just relegated to Championship with parachute payments), which suggests they could have fetched £1m fees.

The others have proven their £1m+ status by their wages at high status clubs, and/or subsequent sell on fees. This was a team that outperformed Celtic before the shit hit the fan, despite lack of investment by Whyte.

I will give you Bougherra, Jelavic, McGregor, Davis and Naismith. I think it's debatable that Hearts would have got £1m + for Wallace had we not signed him. Lafferty struggled to get double figures each season in the SPL and wasn't worth > £1m based on that form. Nobody would have spent that on Whittaker. Aluko didn't even play for us at the start of 2011/12. We signed him nearly midway through the season on a short term deal, so he wasn't really worth anything. Jamie Ness had hardly featured at all and had major fitness problems, so we would not have got such a fee. Wylde? No chance whatsoever!

Don't worry about educating me regarding football, it's not something that will ever happen :lover:.

You specified five year period doesn't quite allow "a lot further back". But even then, a lot further back, we weren't exactly a selling club, quite the opposite. A lot of people have fond memories of that.

As I already said, they have accumulated far more in the past 5 years than we have in the last 10.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We could have got 25 easy for the players we lost for free. Any analysis has to allow for that.

Maybe , The problem is that we were in distress at that point. If those players had stayed, there is no way we would of got top dollar. We would of been lucky to get a quarter of there worth! Any manager or chairman out there with a bit of savvy would just need to make a bid and test our metal. If the bank wouldnt force us to sell them, then the agent and player would! probably siting , playing in a more competitive league or their international career!