Can Rangers fans embrace being a selling club?

Now you know how we all feel.

How many "we" are you then?

As I have 30 secs to burn ...

WOW !!!

What would be an answer to that?

I don't need to look at wikipedia to know who played for us then. I have already stated the players I believe were worth more than £1m at the start of 11/12.

It was you who asked what wikipedia was for, I answered. With the above, you did not ask for anything more.

English clubs are welcome to splash the cash on our players too, should they deem them worthy. Spin, spin, spin.

I fail to see what the "spin" stuff is for. If we have players the English want, they will come. Demand and supply, simples. Brentford wanted Macleod and got him. Since nobody else seem to want any of our players, so be it. Again, no point or answer made by you, so why asking for an answer?

In the last 10 years only Boumsong and Cuellar have gone for large sums to the Premiership. I wouldn't class Jelavic and Wilson as particularly large sums.

Aha, but that's a new point after the 10-11 players at 1m remark. And again, no point or asking for an answer.

Consequently ... You did not make any points worth answering. Perhaps you were looking for comments to prowl upon and keep us going though?

It was you who asked what wikipedia was for, I answered. With the above, you did not ask for anything more.

I said I didn't know what wikipedia had to do with this. I asked Calscot who he believed were the '11 or 12 players' he thought were worth more than £1m at the start of the 11/12 season. You then proceeded to butt in muttering nonsense about different websites. This had nothing to do with the specific question I asked Calscot.

I fail to see what the "spin" stuff is for. If we have players the English want, they will come. Demand and supply, simples. Brentford wanted Macleod and got him. Since nobody else seem to want any of our players, so be it. Again, no point or answer made by you, so why asking for an answer?

Yes, nobody wants our players. That's the point.

Aha, but that's a new point after the 10-11 players at 1m remark. And again, no point or asking for an answer.

Consequently ... You did not make any points worth answering. Perhaps you were looking for comments to prowl upon and keep us going though?

What are you going on about now? I was providing more evidence of my original point.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I actually explained that above. We are going on about being "selling clubs" here. Much of that revolves on a) buying cheap and selling on a profit, while b) it also revolves around breeding your own talent and sell it off ... like we did with e.g. Hutton and Wilson. Forrest much like McGeough, AFAIK, is still a Yahoo ... but hand on heart, I did not check on Henderson. There is no doubt, of course, that the Scum much like we develop their own youth people or have them develop on loan.

Sorry, but when you mention developing their own players OR selling on at profit then you are no longer talking about both together but mutually exclusive.

Regardless, you simply cannot deny, like it or not, that am agency isn't a success of that policy.

Whilst I hate comparing us to them I think they gave delivered more youth into their team than we have in recent times and have generated more money from such player's sales.

Sorry, but when you mention developing their own players OR selling on at profit then you are no longer talking about both together but mutually exclusive.

Regardless, you simply cannot deny, like it or not, that am agency isn't a success of that policy.

Whilst I hate comparing us to them I think they gave delivered more youth into their team than we have in recent times and have generated more money from such player's sales.

To be honest I don't give a flying F*** about Celtic. I have no idea who plays for them apart from the Dutch guy as I can hardly avoid him. They have been totally off my radar for years now and will remain so. I suppose it is easy for me as I don't have British TV.

It would be interesting to see the numbers here, as I can't remember that many Yahoo-bred talents that have been sold for a significant sum. Of course, Traitor O'Gheady springs to mind, but that was 5 years ago. I for one wasn't fishing that deep into history on here, but was focussing on the last few years, when those from the East End more or less survived from player sales and CL money, rather than being prudently run.

We have always been a selling club, but our 'success' over the years has been average to poor. I can only remember Boumsong, Hutton and Cuellar that have genuinely been a success in this regard. We must do better. However, I think we have the right manager and youth coach (What's Mulhollands title and name!?) to improve our record in acquiring young hungry players and develop our own young players that we can sell on.

However, I think the way we have done it over the years has been dependent on luck; picking a good player on a free that has been missed by others -- Boumsong and Cuellar were not developed by us. It is hardly a science. We must learn to 'develop' young players, whether that be our own or others from abroad. Ajax have the best model. They target young players, but they develop them into better players; and more importantly they develop them into players that can play roles in the first team.

We must omit the last 5 years in any comparison as we have been making short-term decisions over that period, but generally we've been ineffective and dependent on luck. We must learn to actually 'develop' players instead of picking good players already. Once we learn to do this we will achieve greater success in our 'selling'.

We have always been a selling club, but our 'success' over the years has been average to poor. I can only remember Boumsong, Hutton and Cuellar that have genuinely been a success in this regard. We must do better. However, I think we have the right manager and youth coach (What's Mulhollands title and name!?) to improve our record in acquiring young hungry players and develop our own young players that we can sell on.

From the Club website:

Craig Mulholland

Head of Academy

Craig joined Rangers in 2003 as Football in the Community Manager and designed and started the clubs Football in the Community Programme. Having joined from the SFA where he had several roles, the last of which was Senior Youth Development Officer, he created the FITC programme which became a national award winning initiative and launched a range of activities and courses both at home and overseas.

As a young player Craig played for Queens Park, Hamilton Accies, Dumbarton and Alloa Athletic before joining the SFA during which time he also coached the youth and reserve team at Queens Park. In 2006, after a short spell as Acting Academy Director, Craig took on the role of Academy Operations Manager and coach of the U15 & U16 group.

In January 2015 Craig was promoted to the role of Head of Academy and is currently driving forward a new strategy which will result in a new culture, environment and playing style with the aim of making the Academy one of the best in Europe.

Craig is graduate from Glasgow University and holds the UEFA A Licence, Youth Licence, Childrens Licence and Youth Directors Award.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/teams/academy-information/key-staff/item/2529-craig-mulholland