Can Rangers fans embrace being a selling club?

At the beginning of the 2011-12 season, I reckon we had 11 or 12 players worth more than £1m in the squad. The fact we didn't realise all the fees was not the manager's fault, and with most of them walking away for nothing, it completely twists any comparison to Celtic vastly in their favour. Now why would anyone do that?

However, in a pissing contest about who is the more the selling club, it's not one I'd really want to boast about winning, even though the financial advantages are obvious.

Celtic are always twisting their figures in a way that ends up making them look a bit crap. They put their attendances down to save tax, making them look less popular, they put them up to look like the more popular team, only to look stupid with a half empty stadium that's supposed to be full, and they put their player fees up to look like they can spot a player and end up looking like a League One feeder club.

That's just a dip in the ocean of their lies and propaganda. They will never be a club I will admire or would like us to emulate.

It's not about who is the biggest selling club. It's about who is the best at developing players and making profits. Can you name these players who were worth more than £1m?

To put things into consideration, we have sold £44.44m worth of players in the last 10 years, over £10m less than they have in twice the time.

And what have they spent on players compared to us. What about the last 5 years where we were in the same league. Or 10 if you prefer.

It's not about who is the biggest selling club. It's about who is the best at developing players and making profits. Can you name these players who were worth more than £1m?

Help yourself to Wikipedia and/or transfermarket to find out if you want to know.

BTW, I for one do not see them developing their players, nor can I remember any. What they did is selling their "jewells" to the English who in turn splash their money about like confetti ... and not just the Scum's way. Right now, they rip Dundee United's spine, snatching their good players away at minimal prices and dispatching a league "rival" along the way.

Essentially, that's the way it has been with the OF for decades, with nigh all other Scottish clubs being our "feeder" teams. Only that in days gone by the amount of Scottish talent was IMHO a bit higher than it is now and the Scottish teams tried to rip us and the Scum off on occasion. So we kept them running and they kept us fed. In recent years Scottish talent already chose the way down South straight away. And, our latter transfers where down under certain restrictive circumstances, else we might have seen quite a bit of cash coming our way as well. Meanwhile, the Scum have sold their jewells down EPL-way for inflated prices, which I for one do not exactly count as a success or grand business strategy by the Scum board. Hardly any player in the EPL and even Championship is worth the money that was paid for them in a "real" market.

Help yourself to Wikipedia and/or transfermarket to find out if you want to know.

BTW, I for one do not see them developing their players, nor can I remember any. What they did is selling their "jewells" to the English who in turn splash their money about like confetti ... and not just the Scum's way. Right now, they rip Dundee United's spine, snatching their good players away at minimal prices and dispatching a league "rival" along the way.

Essentially, that's the way it has been with the OF for decades, with nigh all other Scottish clubs being our "feeder" teams. Only that in days gone by the amount of Scottish talent was IMHO a bit higher than it is now and the Scottish teams tried to rip us and the Scum off on occasion. So we kept them running and they kept us fed. In recent years Scottish talent already chose the way down South straight away. And, our latter transfers where down under certain restrictive circumstances, else we might have seen quite a bit of cash coming our way as well. Meanwhile, the Scum have sold their jewells down EPL-way for inflated prices, which I for one do not exactly count as a success or grand business strategy by the Scum board. Hardly any player in the EPL and even Championship is worth the money that was paid for them in a "real" market.

I asked Calscot a question, not sure what wikipedia has to do with anything. They have sold their players for large sums of money and we have not, no matter which way you try to spin it.

Forrest, Henderson, McGeough (though it could be claimed WE developed him), McGeady, Islam Feruz - these are just 5 off the top of my head. Not that I enjoy remembering any of their younger players.

I asked Calscot a question, not sure what wikipedia has to do with anything. They have sold their players for large sums of money and we have not, no matter which way you try to spin it.

I don't disagree with this. I would argue, however, to use extreme caution when using numbers thrown out in the media for how much they sell their players for.

It's not about who is the biggest selling club. It's about who is the best at developing players and making profits.

I'd rather Rangers didn't make a profit. I rather we broke even and won loads of trophies. If we develop low cost players to be worth millions, I hope we keep them.

Can you name these players who were worth more than £1m?

Yes, can't you? I'm sure you're a lot better than me at naming the Celtic ones...

I'd rather Rangers didn't make a profit. I rather we broke even and won loads of trophies. If we develop low cost players to be worth millions, I hope we keep them.

Yes, can't you? I'm sure you're a lot better than me at naming the Celtic ones...

Can we please stop with the "sniff sniff" snidey remarks. It really isn't needed.

You seem to be the one applying extreme, Celtic minded spin. We have not been able to sell players for large sums so much in your last 5 year period largely because of what has happened to Rangers over the last 4 years. Rangers fans know the story, you seem to be deliberately ignoring it to make Celtic look better. I really can't see your relevance given the mitigating circumstances.

I shouldn't have to point it out on this forum but you seem in ignorance - we lost quite a lot of valuable players for nothing during the insolvency event, and since then have been struggling to get back on our feet while being completely mismanaged and having our money siphoned off by charlatans, and notwithstanding playing in the lower Scottish leagues. A comparison of sales during this time without some qualification is meaningless.

I think you must be the only one on here not to get that and I wouldn't be surprised if you start comparing SPL titles in the last 5 years next. Or UEFA coefficients, or whatever.