Scottish Sun Back Page

When? They won the Champions League doing that in 96/97 and are one of the most successful clubs in world football history.

I was obviously talking about present day competitions. Ajax got goosed at home by Rapid Vienna with a team full of young players. 96/97 was nearly 20 years ago and I doubt if they had as many young players as now. Unfortunately teams as Ajax, Rangers will never be on the top of Europe again as Sky are seeing to that.

I was obviously talking about present day competitions. Ajax got goosed at home by Rapid Vienna with a team full of young players. 96/97 was nearly 20 years ago and I doubt if they had as many young players as now. Unfortunately teams as Ajax, Rangers will never be on the top of Europe again as Sky are seeing to that.

Ajax have still won three of the last four league titles. This seems a different argument though regarding being top of Europe, and not one I'm disputing. Both the old firm should be doing a lot better than they have in recent years though.

Ajax have still won three of the last four league titles. This seems a different argument though regarding being top of Europe, and not one I'm disputing. Both the old firm should be doing a lot better than they have in recent years though.

Yeah, your original argument was about European competition, pete highlighted they just got papped oot using their young players with an expansive style.

We are getting carried away anyway with talk of European football right now - but it really is a breath of fresh air to have that confidence within the support that we are progressing to the point of believing we are ready for that.

Personally, for European football I think that you have to have a pragmatic approach to it. You go in all attack-minded and guns blazing and you could very, very easily see yourself on the wrong end of a cricket score. If you watch European games you will see that almost all games are cagey in nature - even the likes of Barca and Madrid don't go all out attack in these games - they have the quality to make it look that way but Barca pass you to death and their possession stats make it look like they are all over you, but often their passing isn't in the final 3rd. Likewise, however, it would be refreshing WHEN we get back into Europe to see us go at teams more than we did previously when we went 5 at the back. That wasn't pleasant to watch - however, I still thank Walter Smith for giving me the pleasure of seeing my team in a European final in my lifetime.

What is astounding to me is the speed at which we have progressed. Warburton has us playing probably the most aesthetically pleasing football in the country. In 3 short months he has us looking like a team to be feared again, not just by teams in our division but by almost all SPFL teams too. It is still early days but right now it looks like he is making a mockery of those who suggested we were "at least 5 years, if not more" behind Celtic. I don't think we are.

Calscot - out of interest, have you watched any of our games this season? Just worth checking since you deem yourself fit to be telling supporters on here - who watch every game - what they can and can't appreciate about the current Rangers team.

Your question once again is a very weird one and is completely irrelevant. Please try harder to grasp what is being said instead of trying to start another pissing contest about who goes to the most games. Playground stuff again. Like I've said before, you can take a monkey a to every game, and it will not mean he has any insight into football.

Why do I need to go to any specific games to be able to understand generally what sport is primarily about? Maybe you need to pay more attention to what goes on around you and actually think about it, rather than assuming knowledge due merely to your proximity - probably in front of the telly.

I've not told anyone what they can and cannot appreciate about the current Rangers team. Why do you always insist on making stupid stuff up to start or prolong an argument? Make sure you actually understand posts before replying.

Your question once again is a very weird one and is completely irrelevant. Please try harder to grasp what is being said instead of trying to start another pissing contest about who goes to the most games. Playground stuff again. Like I've said before, you can take a monkey a to every game, and it will not mean he has any insight into football.

Why do I need to go to any specific games to be able to understand generally what sport is primarily about? Maybe you need to pay more attention to what goes on around you and actually think about it, rather than assuming knowledge due merely to your proximity - probably in front of the telly.

I've not told anyone what they can and cannot appreciate about the current Rangers team. Why do you always insist on making stupid stuff up to start or prolong an argument? Make sure you actually understand posts before replying.

To quote you:

No I didn't. I said if you focus on entertaining you'll be taking your focus off winning, your strengths will be compromised. It's far better to entertain by playing winning football - that's what Warburton is trying to achieve, and it's a pity you don't appreciate that.

Who are you to be saying what Warburton is trying to achieve, and what people can and cannot appreciate, when you haven't even watched any of our games?

Yeah, your original argument was about European competition, pete highlighted they just got papped oot using their young players with an expansive style.

My original argument was that our current style is going to cause European sides a lot more problems than what what we are used to. By different argument I was referring to his later comment about Ajax and Rangers not being top of Europe.

We are getting carried away anyway with talk of European football right now - but it really is a breath of fresh air to have that confidence within the support that we are progressing to the point of believing we are ready for that.

Personally, for European football I think that you have to have a pragmatic approach to it. You go in all attack-minded and guns blazing and you could very, very easily see yourself on the wrong end of a cricket score. If you watch European games you will see that almost all games are cagey in nature - even the likes of Barca and Madrid don't go all out attack in these games - they have the quality to make it look that way but Barca pass you to death and their possession stats make it look like they are all over you, but often their passing isn't in the final 3rd. Likewise, however, it would be refreshing WHEN we get back into Europe to see us go at teams more than we did previously when we went 5 at the back. That wasn't pleasant to watch - however, I still thank Walter Smith for giving me the pleasure of seeing my team in a European final in my lifetime.

What is astounding to me is the speed at which we have progressed. Warburton has us playing probably the most aesthetically pleasing football in the country. In 3 short months he has us looking like a team to be feared again, not just by teams in our division but by almost all SPFL teams too. It is still early days but right now it looks like he is making a mockery of those who suggested we were "at least 5 years, if not more" behind Celtic. I don't think we are.

Football is about balance, agreed. Certainly in Europe. I've already said I'll be interested in how Warburton approaches Europe, because we will need to be a lot more cautious than domestically, and defence is as important as attack. Our record in Europe is something like 3 wins in the last 23, a shocking statistic. Our approach is simply one of hoping we avoid defeat. With Warburton this is going to change and I can see us causing sides a lot of problems.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

This is the same football Calscot spent years defending (and rarely watched), hence why he is trying to save face.

You just won't stop repeating the same made up, weirdo crap will you? I've defended Rangers all my life against those who make up stuff to attack the club, and you are probably the worst I've had to deal with.

Go back to watching your "beloved Chelsea" (don't hear you slagging them off, even though they are known for negative football), as you already said you wouldn't be watching Rangers as you don't enjoy it. Oh, but how can you even be a Chelsea supporter if you don't go to all the games?

Admin, do I really have to keep putting up with this sort of stuff? It's continual trolling and is really boring for everyone - except perhaps SBS, who seems to get a childish kick out of it.