Burchill tonight

Nathan Oduwa is a highly talented young player. He is the type of fast, exciting, skilful player that fans pay to see, regardless of his team or nationality.

This is it in a nutshell.

The Livingston match was frustrating to watch. Livingston's bravehearts fouled our players all over the pitch from the start. It was clearly a tactic to frustrate our players and supporters. In addition the referee was completely inadequate. He didn't punish them and at one point in the second half it looked like he would completely lose control of the match.

I realised that this frustration was the same as that experienced when watching a goalkeeper waste time during the first half while the score is still 0-0. The worst thing about it was that it replaced the football with something tedious. I didn't pay to watch some journeyman sauntering along his six yard box to take a goal kick. I didn't pay to watch Livingston's bravehearts break up play with fouls or break legs. Could it be that many of the fans who stay at home feel the same?

Livi boss Mark Burchill apologises to Nathan Oduwa after Rangers condemn his comments on tackle row

THE former Celtic star defends his player over wild lunge by bringing up Ibrox kid's nationality but he soon backs down after Gers slam his statement.

RANGERS have taken Mark Burchill to task over controversial comments about on-loan Spurs star Nathan Oduwa.

The Livingston boss last night issued an apology to the Ibrox club and Oduwa after launching a defence of midfielder Kieran Gibbons based on his Scottish nationality and his rival’s English identity.

Gibbons has been widely criticised for a tackle on Oduwa after just 12 seconds of the Petrofac Cup quarter-final at Ibrox on Tuesday. Many reckoned it merited a red card from ref Andrew Dallas.

Oduwa was crocked and failed to appear for the second half but Burchill told Radio Clyde last night his player deserved protection from public ire because of where he was born.

Burchill told Superscoreboard: “Kieran is a young, talented Scottish football player signed for a Scottish club.

“Nathan Oduwa is an English footballer who has not signed for a Scottish club, so we’re dragging someone over the coals who is one of our own and could possibly play for Scotland in the future.

“If I’m honest, most of this is coming from the frustration of Rangers fans who expected to turn up and beat Livingston four, five or six nil .”

But his reaction sparked anger among Rangers fans and the Ibrox club have condemned his comments for focusing on the nationality of the players involved as they hinted at an SFA investigation.

A club spokesman said: “Just about everyone who has seen the tackle by Kieran Gibbons on Nathan Oduwa at Ibrox on Tuesday night knows our player was fortunate to get back to his feet.

“However, we have since heard from the Livingston manager who attempted to defend his player’s reckless challenge because he is Scottish and his opponent is English.

“Rangers believe Nathan, indeed every player, regardless of nationality, is entitled to greater respect. It will be interesting to discover if Livingston and the authorities share this belief.”

Burchill last night said sorry for the comments made on the show and insisted they were a result of clumsy phraseology.

He said: “I would like to apologise to Nathan, Rangers and anyone else offended by my use of such clumsy words.

“The point I was trying to make was that Kieran is likely to play his entire career in Scotland. Nathan, on the other hand, is signed for an English club and will probably return to Spurs at the end of the season.

“Of course, nationality has nothing to do with it. I wish Nathan all the best for the rest of the season and hope this draws a line under my unfortunate use of words.”

Burchill had earlier insisted there was no malice in the tackle , made in the 1-0 defeat on Tuesday night.

He said: “It was a bad tackle and on any given day it could have been a red card. This was Kieran’s 12th appearance as a professional and the first time he had played at Ibrox.

“He went to win the ball but Oduwa’s feet were too quick and he caught him.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/livi-boss-mark-burchill-apologises-6680050

“The point I was trying to make was that Kieran is likely to play his entire career in Scotland. Nathan, on the other hand, is signed for an English club and will probably return to Spurs at the end of the season.

Still not sure why this is in the least bit relevant.

Still not sure why this is in the least bit relevant.

I think, the point Burchill's trying to make is that the media stink is especially bad for Gibbons since he's likely to play his entire career in Scotland and has therefore shat on his own doorstep... therefore the press should go a bit easier on him(?!).

It's still a ridiculously weak argument though. My advice to Gibbons would be: If you don't want a hard time, don't commit horrible cynical fouls. Even if your manager encourages you to do it pre-match.

Edited by Thinker

Maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't exactly claim that Gibbons was out to injure Oduwa in the tackle. He jumped in for the ball, late and clumsy. He hit Oduwa with an outstretched leg, which in itself warrants a yellow, if not a red card. No matter the time or clumsiness. Not least to send out a marker to the rest of the players. It is rather astonishing that the ref hasn't been castigated for his approach to the Livvy tackles thus far.