Mark McGhee making mischief as he raises issue of Rangers EBTs

MARK McGHEE took a mischievous dig at Rangers last night by claiming he feels “hard done-by” after finishing third in the league to an Ibrox side rewarding players through controversial Employee Benefit Trusts during his first spell as manager of Motherwell.

The Scotland assistant manager made the unprompted remarks, which he later appeared to backtrack from, whilst discussing the pressures that he is currently under at Fir Park to ensure the club remain clear of the relegation zone of the Ladbrokes Premiership.

“That is the pressure on everyone, other than Celtic, probably, regardless of what anyone might do on any given day or in any given season,” he said.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14091685.Motherwell_boss_Mark_McGhee_making_mischief_as_he_raises_issue_of_Rangers_EBTs/

He is back in the Fir Park hot-seat and while beating relegation is his priority this time around he feels frustrated at being denied a possible second place finish seven years ago. The 58-year-old Scotland assistant boss said: “When I was here first time around we finished third and we probably should have been second given what we’ve learned since about Rangers and their methods.

“At the end of the day, it’s straightforward. We get bonuses and I get a better bonus in my contract for finishing second than I do for finishing third.

“That season I only got the bonus for finishing third and I feel hard done by. I think we’d all love to have done that (spent extra money on players) – I’d love to do that now but it’s not the way we can work.”

Despite his frustration at Gers actions under Murray, McGhee added: “I also wish that Rangers were back in the league and that we were playing them on Saturday.

“I don’t have any problems with them. I’m only being a wee bit facetious.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-mcghee-rangers-robbed-second-6864744

The 58-year-old Scotland assistant boss said: “When I was here first time around we finished third and we probably should have been second given what we’ve learned since about Rangers and their methods.

What!!!?

I think the difference in quality between us and Motherwell has always been considerably more than anything an EBT could account for.