SPFL shake up League Cup with £8m TV deal...

The Swedish Allsvenskan seems to be the best model, where "seasons run from late March or early April to beginning of November, with the 16 clubs all meeting each other twice, resulting in a 30-match season". It also says, "Allsvenkan is ranked 20th in the UEFA coefficients of leagues based on performances in European competitions over the last five years. As it stands now, Allsvenskan is ranked highest of the leagues in Scandinavia".

Not sure how it helps the sides in Europe because it shows that a few reach the Europa League group stages, but don't go any further. Malmo have obviously been quite conspicuous in there 'success' because they've beaten them, and have done OK in Europe; nothing spectacular though, or maybe it is quite good in regards to their level? Summer football sounds good, giving us more chance of uninterrupted football, fewer cancellations and a head start in Europe -- at least initially. (Even the 30-match season whereby 16 teams play each other twice sounds a lot better than what we currently have. I doubt we'll see those kind of changes though!)

If we moved to a 30 game season we wouldn't actually need to change to summer football, as it would free up enough weekends to create a sizable winter break. But playing 8 games less per season would also surely mean a hell of a drop in income from tickets and potentially an even more rapid downward spiral (less money for player wages > lower quality football > less interest in the game etc. etc.) than the one we're already in.

If we moved to a 30 game season we wouldn't actually need to change to summer football, as it would free up enough weekends to create a sizable winter break. But playing 8 games less per season would also surely mean a hell of a drop in income from tickets and potentially an even more rapid downward spiral (less money for player wages > lower quality football > less interest in the game etc. etc.) than the one we're already in.

We don't need to change to summer football at all.

Agreed in our small country there are so many part-time clubs/players it would be unfair to deprive them holiday time with their families.

If it were UTOPIA fine but it is not.

It wouldn't be unfair at all. You might ask if it would be more likely to discourage players from working up here though.

We don't need to change to summer football at all.

Well no, obviously we don't.

What I was driving at is that, with a 30 game season, we could create a break large enough to easily avoid the worst of the winter - without changing to summer football.

What I was driving at is that, with a 30 game season, we could create a break large enough to easily avoid the worst of the winter - without changing to summer football.

No doubt. Not sure what the big deal with a winter break is though. I'd prefer it if we didn't have one and the season continued to run, more or less, the way it already does.

Clubs usually get increased attendances over Christmas/New Year so not sure they'd want to give that up for summer football where they might get lower attendances during june/july when people go on holiday.

As for the League Cup its importance plummeted when it lost the UEFA place for winners a good few years ago.

I don't get the summer football thing. Is that starting the league 2 weeks earlier to allow a two week break in January? Are people going to go on holiday in march to Spain when the temperature is 17 degrees? Scotland has a weather system that can have 12 degrees in January but also 12 degrees in July. Sorry I just don't get it.

I don't get the summer football thing. Is that starting the league 2 weeks earlier to allow a two week break in January? Are people going to go on holiday in march to Spain when the temperature is 17 degrees? Scotland has a weather system that can have 12 degrees in January but also 12 degrees in July. Sorry I just don't get it.

Never entirely sure myself but I think summer football means we'd start the season february/march and finish october/november like they do in the scandanavian countries.

Can see a lot of merits but I'd have thought attendances would be hit june/july when a lot of people take their summer holidays.