Solid Display Lacking Quality In Final Third

Miller is more part of the possession,passing statistics with his movement and if you watch him it is a quite impressive work-rate and having thrown in a few goals to me he has done a good job.It is little wonder that he is normally substituted on the hour mark.

Waghorn also has a high work-rate but is looking a little jaded at the moment needs a rest but there the problem lies replaced by whom?

Miller is more part of the possession,passing statistics with his movement and if you watch him it is a quite impressive work-rate and having thrown in a few goals to me he has done a good job.It is little wonder that he is normally substituted on the hour mark.

Waghorn also has a high work-rate but is looking a little jaded at the moment needs a rest but there the problem lies replaced by whom?

Replaced by O'Halloran. Just watched the Hertz vs Hibz game on TV there & it's vital we get O'Halloran against Lewis Stevenson when we play them next month.He'll destroy him. Hibz weakness is their FB positions. MW has spotted this.

The result obviously doesn't resemble the performance and going into the top flight next season may games will be like this and its up to MW to find another way of braking stubborn SPL defences down which I am sure he will. I think with a couple of clever additions in the summer including Windass then we will be a stronger side.

Replaced by O'Halloran. Just watched the Hertz vs Hibz game on TV there & it's vital we get O'Halloran against Lewis Stevenson when we play them next month.He'll destroy him. Hibz weakness is their FB positions. MW has spotted this.

there was an interesting comment from a Hibee yesterday. He said Hearts retreated into defence in the second half. We play against teams every week who do that so we know how to handle it. This is what accounted for their comeback yesterday

Does anyone have the stats for the amount of goals we score when Waghorn starts through the middle as opposed to out wide?

I know he was poor today (wasn't alone) but I really don't think starting wide right suits him or our team. I am thinking our last dip in form/scoring coincided with the last time Waggy started wide right for a few games in a row. Moving to a wide position late in the game when we bring on another striker through the middle has worked well as far as I recall, but much less so in reverse.

Might be wrong but would be interested to know if stats like that are available.

Almost exactly the same, he has scored 13 goals (incl. pens) when started wide, and 14 (incl. pens) as a CF, in all matches. What I don't know, is how many goals he scored when starting as a RW, and moved to the middle when Miller went off i.e. scoring late in the game. He is definitely going through a dip in form at the moment, but I think that he is one of those players that benefits from playing continually, rather than being rested.

I think the original post is fair enough.

We were solid - more so in the second half - and it's just a shame we didn't get the couple of goals our play merited. Bad luck and a lack of quality contributing to this.

By way of more comment, I think the red card Halliday got against Morton has caused us more issues than may be obvious at first glance.

Yes Ball has done absolutely fine in the role since but clearly as much as he provides more in a defensive sense, he's not quite as capable passing-wise and doesn't get into the forward areas Halliday did (though perhaps doesn't leave the same gaps as a result).

Further, despite his vital goal against Raith, Halliday hasn't looked quite as effective as we thought he might be in a more offensive position. On Saturday he didn't get into the game at all and didn't look comfortable.

Losing Holt at the same time hasn't helped in a creative sense either and if we add in Waghorn's loss of form then it's perhaps not a surprise we're struggling to play as fluently and/or score as many goals. The good thing is we look more solid, have defended well and I'm sure the goals will return quickly enough. Alloa is as good a place as any to recover our form!