[FT] Rangers 4 (Forrester 1; Holt 47; Halliday 54; Wallace 83) - 0 Dundee

Forrester was pretty poor in his first few games, but a few suggested at the time that he didn't look match fit -- I may have been one of those fans...:cool:

From his first two 20 minute cameo appearances I was one of those who noticed Harry Forrester carrying a fair bit of timber. From what I could see he wasn't fit never mind match fit. He's still a little off match fitness at the moment but my goodness he's got good feet. Some of the flicks and stuff he produced yesterday even when he switched to the left when Wallace and him combined to flick it over the defenders heads a couple of times brought a huge grin to my fizzog.

We were by far the superior outfit yesterday and the reports of Dundee being the better team after 25 minutes left me wondering what game these folk were watching? The game I was watching saw merely the last 10 minutes of the first half where Dundee had some possession. At that point Dundee were trying everything, anything, to get the ball somehow. It resulted in them doubling up on Dom Ball in the mid field and simply because Dom isn't graced with the quickest of feet they successfully managed to win a few scraps off of him. They weren't able to sustain that for any length of time though. Big Dom was excellent yesterday and never looked phased even when they did double team him for that short period. He always made space for himself and showed for the ball at every opportunity. Big Dom will know himself that he needs to work on retention in confined spaces but given grass and good service to run on to the ball he looked a far more mature and accomplished player than a 20 year old kid who's on loan.

We've certainly nothing to fear from any team in any Scottish division but if I was to draw attention to one aspect I think we could improve upon then I would suggest that from watching St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and now Dundee play at Ibrox that they play in a much more physical league in the SPL and at times we do look just a little light in that department. I've no real concerns about it though, as the manager has expressed, its a learning curve and each step takes this young 7 month old team closer to where they should be. Back at the top of the Premier League winning everything!

Zelalem was certainly not missed, but in defense of his contribution/role, Halliday played that role against Dundee. Halliday played a little deeper -- like Zelalem -- acting as a support to the main attack rather than being the main attack. One thing though, Halliday is a lot more willing and brave enough to attempt risky through-balls. He's grown into that role quite well after a few unsure performances; but it's clear he can play there. It brings a good balance to the midfield with a DM (Ball), a Metronome/deep-playmaker (Halliday), and a No.10 (Holt).

I always though we lacked control when Zelalem doesn't play because we are forced into fielding more attacking midfielders, but if Halliday has a decent DM at the back of him -- like Ball, but maybe someone else if he's not going to remain with us next year -- then he's a better fit because he's more offensively minded, and more willing to take a pot at goal.

I'll concede that Zelalem is not needed, but I maintain that his 'role' is needed -- luckily Andy Halliday can play it!

Why was Forrester booked again? Leaving the field for celebrations? How often do we see that? I mean, even Miller stood on the advertising boards after Holt scored? How many of such yellows are usually handed out in games? The ref sure has some leeway here, not least after 15 secs (where penalties are often denied ... because it is so early), but this is so unevenly handed out (not just with us), it is nigh beyond belief.

Why was Forrester booked again? Leaving the field for celebrations? How often do we see that? I mean, even Miller stood on the advertising boards after Holt scored? How many of such yellows are usually handed out in games? The ref sure has some leeway here, not least after 15 secs (where penalties are often denied ... because it is so early), but this is so unevenly handed out (not just with us), it is nigh beyond belief.

I don't know why he was booked. When he scored he was directly in front of the Dundee support. If he would have celebrated there it would have probably been a yellow for gesturing towards them. As he made the celebration run he noticed this and so he curved his run round the back of the net towards the Rangers fans, he never crossed the advertising hoardings, never took his shirt off nor gestured to the away support, and from start to finish in total he was off the field of play for 8 seconds.

I know the rules BH posted above but I have absolutely no clue why that is a booking.

Its pure nonsense!

Edited by Big Jaws

Zelalem was certainly not missed, but in defense of his contribution/role, Halliday played that role against Dundee. Halliday played a little deeper -- like Zelalem -- acting as a support to the main attack rather than being the main attack. One thing though, Halliday is a lot more willing and brave enough to attempt risky through-balls. He's grown into that role quite well after a few unsure performances; but it's clear he can play there. It brings a good balance to the midfield with a DM (Ball), a Metronome/deep-playmaker (Halliday), and a No.10 (Holt).

I always though we lacked control when Zelalem doesn't play because we are forced into fielding more attacking midfielders, but if Halliday has a decent DM at the back of him -- like Ball, but maybe someone else if he's not going to remain with us next year -- then he's a better fit because he's more offensively minded, and more willing to take a pot at goal.

I'll concede that Zelalem is not needed, but I maintain that his 'role' is needed -- luckily Andy Halliday can play it!

I'm wondering if you thought the 20 year old kid on loan that I was referring to was Zelalem (whom I like incidentally)? I was in fact referring to Dom himself who in spite of how he looks is just a 20 year old kid on loan,

I do agree with you on the position being needed despite who plays it. I'm fairly sure Matt Crooks is being brought in to fill the role for next season albeit whether as a squad player or as automatic first team pick.

I'm not sure that was shown today. The left back was a lot more ineffective than that right back and McKay wasn't double teamed to the same extent in the second half as the first.

Perhaps so but he can go by players on the outside because he is right footed something he rarely does on the left.

Forrester was pretty poor in his first few games, but a few suggested at the time that he didn't look match fit -- I may have been one of those fans...:cool:

He had made little more than three half hour sub appearances since August and hadn't even been in the squad (with one exception) since end October so it's not a big surprise that he wasn't match fit.