Change of tactics?

Just thought I would throw this in. With the signing of Crooks Barton and Rossiter it looks like Warburton may be changing from his preferred 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 formation.

At the moment with the players we have I think it would be.

Barton Rossiter

Forrester Halliday\Holt McKay

Waghorn

I think life may be a bit more difficult for Halliday next season as Holt and Forrester may be preferred in that advanced role.

Waghorn could also be wide right with Miller keeping his place.

I wouldn't be surprisd if we'd go 3-4-3 or the like, with e.g. Crooks playing some sort (!) of libero and Kiernan and Wilson on the left and right side of the CH position. With Wallace and Tav still in the side, but a little more advanced and with not that many defenisve roles. Should we loose the ball, they can cover and we could create a 5-man defensive line - all pending on the opposition.

Generally, we probably have to wait and see whom we get and how Barton excells in the defensive/holding MF role. He'd probably the first real natural MF we have there under MW. If all goes well, we might stick to 4-3-3. Likewise, we'll have to see where Rossiter, Windass and possibly Krancjar come into play. We essentially have 5 attacking positions up for grabs, with 4 of those are more midfielders than strikers. To fill those 4, we currently have McKay, Forrester, O'Halloran, Holt, Halliday, Windass and Shiels, plus Walsh and some other youngsters. Barton's deputies will probably be Crooks, Thompson and Murdoch (?).

Edited by der Berliner

I'd be shocked if he did, I can't see it. I doubt that's tactic Warburton would play. He's never really shown any sign of it.

We essentially played 2-5-3 more often than 4-3-3 anyway, given the amount of time Tav and Wallace were further up the field than e.g. Halliday. If we have a defensive MF like Crooks, it would essentially equate with a 3-4-3 lining up like this ...

Kiernan - Wilson

Crooks

Tavernier - Holt - Barton - Wallace

Waghorn - Miller - McKay

... all more game dynamic stuff rather than cast-into-stone tactical formations. On paper you could easily say it is just a 4-3-3

Tavernier - Kiernan - Wilson - Wallace

Holt - Crooks - Barton

Waghorn - Miller - McKay

(PS and a rather defeinsive line-up)

Edited by der Berliner

MW won't be changing the general way we play but may make tweaks for certain matches.

It's about improving the quality and mitigating/removing any weak links that he may see. This would mostly be about player recruitment, which he wants done asap. Then in pre-season trying to fit it together, make it work and be ready for the 16th of July.

I think it'll suit us having the League Cup group games to get up to speed.

Whatever the formation next season, we need to find a way to turn greater ball retention into more clean cut chances. We seem comfortable on the ball and that has to be encouraged but if you look the possession stats compared to shots, shots on target etc. it's poor IMO. I'd also like to see more shooting from outside the box. We seem keen to try walk the ball into the net sometimes

All these formations over the years , might as well try a goalie , two fullbacks , two half backs , a big centre half , two bandy legged wingers , a couple of inside men , and up top a big centre forward .:rfc: