McCoist wants to return to management

Ally McCoist says he is ready to return to management following an 18 month break from the game.

McCoist, who was sacked by Rangers in December 2014, is hopeful of getting back to work in time for the new season.

The 53-year-old is also adamant that his Rangers record should not be held against him and has revealed that he has already been handed opportunities to make a return to management.

McCoist claims he has twice come close to landing jobs in the Sky Bet Championship, saying: "I had a couple of interviews with a couple of Championship clubs down south which went well," he said.

"I didn't get the job unfortunately but that's fine. I got down to the last two in both instances, so I was pleased to get back into it.

I've missed the job, of course I have. I've been involved in football all my life. I was professional for 22 years and then involved with Walter Smith and Tommy Burns at Scotland before returning to Rangers with Walter. It's my life.

"I've enjoyed the bit of time off I've had and the chance to do things I've not been able to do, like my telly work.

"But football is my game and I'm looking to get back managing again."

Ally McCoist played for Rangers for 15 years

Ally McCoist played for Rangers for 15 years

McCoist believes prospective employers would be wrong to judge his Rangers CV without taking into consideration the working conditions at Ibrox.

He was in charge at Gers when the club suffered financial collapse in 2012 and successfully lead the side to two promotions before his reign was haunted by off-field turmoil.

"Anybody with any common sense would look at it and say perhaps the hand of cards I was dealt was pretty unfortunate," said the Gers' all-time top scorer.

"You could go on to say a million things about my time as Rangers boss. But I don't think there's any doubt that I was probably unique in being the only Rangers manager who had to work in those circumstances.

"That's life. It was the dream job at the wrong time."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/10303346/former-rangers-boss-ally-mccoist-wants-to-return-to-management?

I would be interested to see how he fared with another go at management. I feel part of his problem at Rangers was that he was still a player at heart trying to be the joker of the dressing room when that role can't be played by a manger who has difficult decisions to make. He may learn from his mistakes and be a different animal at another club.

McCoist claims he has twice come close to landing jobs in the Sky Bet Championship, saying: "I had a couple of interviews with a couple of Championship clubs down south which went well," he said.

"I didn't get the job unfortunately but that's fine. I got down to the last two in both instances, so I was pleased to get back into it.

Funny that, so did I.

latest?cb=20110816124033