So how can he be easily nullified if he's still topping the SPL scoring charts?

He is easily nullified in OF and European games. Experienced defenders know how to cope with him - simply keep him out of the box and its like playing against 10 men.

Cammy F

He is easily nullified in OF and European games. Experienced defenders know how to cope with him - simply keep him out of the box and its like playing against 10 men.

Cammy F

But if it was that easy even clubs in the SPL would have figured it out. There's some not bad, no-nonsense centre halves in Scotland. Besides, the SPL is our bread and butter and we need to get back to winning that first before worrying about Europe.

I think its easy to use the OF and European stats to prove a point, but you could also point to our recent poor displays in both of those cases to show that its not exactly just Boyd who has been under-performing.

But if it was that easy even clubs in the SPL would have figured it out. There's some not bad, no-nonsense centre halves in Scotland. Besides, the SPL is our bread and butter and we need to get back to winning that first before worrying about Europe.

I think its easy to use the OF and European stats to prove a point, but you could also point to our recent poor displays in both of those cases to show that its not exactly just Boyd who has been under-performing.

Not how I see it - I have NEVER and still don't, have any confidence in Boyd scoring in OF and European games. He isn't the type of player who will do nothing for 89 minutes, then stick a guilt-edged chance away that see's us win a game.

I wrote on another 'Boyd' thread that his 'winning goals' (i.e goals that have won us a game 1-0, 2-1) is in single figures. For a player who scores as many goals as he does, that surely is a concern?

Add this to his terrible workrate, first touch, passing, hold up play, IMO he is not the 'centre forward' to win us leagues and take us forward in Europe.

A squad player at best.

Cammy F

It shouldn't matter in which games he's scoring goals though, should it? Not in a normal, strong squad, because if he's not scoring, then someone else should be.

At the moment how can he be a squad player only when he's the only player we have who regularly scores goals?

I think we're all agreeing that he's not a top class player, but at the moment, he's the best we've got. Even PLG found that if you drop him, we struggle to score goals.

We've struggled for years to find a player who can score 20+ goals in a season. Now we have one and we're still not happy. Boyd should be the least of our concerns at the moment IMO.

It shouldn't matter in which games he's scoring goals though, should it? Not in a normal, strong squad, because if he's not scoring, then someone else should be.

At the moment how can he be a squad player only when he's the only player we have who regularly scores goals?

I think we're all agreeing that he's not a top class player, but at the moment, he's the best we've got. Even PLG found that if you drop him, we struggle to score goals.

We've struggled for years to find a player who can score 20+ goals in a season. Now we have one and we're still not happy. Boyd should be the least of our concerns at the moment IMO.

Yes it should - look back at players like McCoist and Wallace. Whilst they scored against the 'lesser teams' they also scored in 1-0's or 2-1's regularly. You could DEPEND on them to score the winner in tight games. You had a feeling that no matter how bad we, our they themselves were playing, that they would still score a goal. You just don't get that feeling with Boyd.

I am happy that he can score goals, what I am unhappy about is his apparent lack of of effort in games that aren't going our way. I am not happy that even after all this time, he can't control a ball and has no basic footballing skills.

Cammy F

Yes it should - look back at players like McCoist and Wallace. Whilst they scored against the 'lesser teams' they also scored in 1-0's or 2-1's regularly. You could DEPEND on them to score the winner in tight games. You had a feeling that no matter how bad we, our they themselves were playing, that they would still score a goal. You just don't get that feeling with Boyd.

I am happy that he can score goals, what I am unhappy about is his apparent lack of of effort in games that aren't going our way. I am not happy that even after all this time, he can't control a ball and has no basic footballing skills.

Cammy F

Yes, but they were both senior players with a great deal of experience. We're talking about a 22 year old who's just starting out in a poor Gers team.

I don't understand the other side of Boyd's game though. How has he survived under 3 managers if he's that lazy?

Yes, but they were both senior players with a great deal of experience. We're talking about a 22 year old who's just starting out in a poor Gers team.

I don't understand the other side of Boyd's game though. How has he survived under 3 managers if he's that lazy?

McCoist was a young striker when he first signed with Rangers and he was playing in a WORSE Rangers team - didn't stop him scoring goals and didn't stop him putting in a shift.

Rod Wallace wasn't a goal-scorer before playing for Rangers - DA turned him into a player who could and did score at the highest level.

Boyd couldnt hold a light to either of those players

But he hasn't - PLG dropped him and now WS has dropped him in favour of strikers who will put in a shift.

IMO, he'll not be playing on Wednesday either.

Cammy F

He can not hold the ball up. He is as slow as me. He can't control the ball. He can't bring in players around him. He is cumbersome. He is lazy. He doesn't win enough in the air. He is easily nulified.

Cammy F

Read the above as i was sipping my hot chocolate - I have to go and make more now :D

But all the above from both Cammy and Gazza8 is totally true.