MW - I hope to get something done before next Saturday. We are working on it

MARK WARBURTON admits he needs to strengthen his defence ahead of next week's Premiership clash with Hamilton after a brutal defeat to Burnley.

The Rangers boss previously said he was keen for cover at centre back and will now step up his search after watching Andre Gray net a hat-trick at Ibrox.

And Warbs will now look to act quickly as the Light Blues get ready for their top flight return.

He said: "We need one or two more. We've said that for a number of weeks but you've got to get the right players in.

"There are Burnley players rated £25million and we can't pay that kind of money. It's a smaller talent pool but we know what we want and if we can get it we'll make the move.

"I hope to get something done before next Saturday. We are working on it."

Gray put the English Premier League side ahead within four minutes from the spot after being brought down by Clint Hill.

The 25-year-old then gave a glimpse of his clinical finishing when he scored his second on 18 minutes.

And the striker completed his hat-trick early in the second half, after being teed up by former Motherwell striker Lukas Jutkiewicz.

Ben Mee then turned Michael O'Halloran's cross into his own net.

However, Gers were off the pace in the clash, although Warburton was pleased with the workout in Govan.

He said: We said all along about the quality of opposition, playing an English Premier League team and you saw that.

"They're the type of test you have to have.

"Andre we know inside out - we brought him from Luton. He's pace and power and uses these attributes very well. He will trouble defences and score a lot of goals in the Premier League undoubtedly. And he'll keep on getting better.

"He's a tough opponent but we got too deep. We were too wary of his pace. He's a very special player.

"We were on the back foot, we were too spread, but we recognise there were areas to improve on out there."

Burnley boss Sean Dyche has high hopes for his £9million striker, who steps up to the top league for the first time after hitting 25 goals in the Championship last term.

He said: "It's a new challenge for Andre. He's definitely up for the challenge. He's enjoying his football, as he did last season, and it's exciting for him when you look at the journey he's been on.

"His biggest weapon is that he doesn't over-think things. If he misses a chance, he's not bothered, he will take the next one."

However, the Clarets boss was disappointed to see his side drop off in the closing stages of the match.

He added: "I was generally pleased with the game but the last 30 minutes were unacceptable from our team. You can't do that in the Premier League - teams will hurt you."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/7219094/Warburton-admits-he-needs-to-strengthen-defence-after-brutal-Burnley-defeat.html

The Rangers boss previously said he was keen for cover at centre back and will now step up his search after watching Andre Gray net a hat-trick at Ibrox.

Let's hope that's poorly worded regarding the managers intentions for bringing someone else in. 'Cover' implies back up for what we already have when we need an improvement on that not a back up.

Let's hope that's poorly worded regarding the managers intentions for bringing someone else in. 'Cover' implies back up for what we already have when we need an improvement on that not a back up.

Cover implies strengthening at a position, not for players there. Else he would have said cover for XYZ, as is often the case with goalies.

Generally, we should not hit the panic buttons just yet. The stuff displayed by Burnley's attackers yesterday would have put any of our previous CHs back to the days of Butcher and Co. into sweat, not least at the end of July.

As I said before, if we utilize Rossiter and Barton in games against more dangerous opposition, we should be fine - in Scotland.

The one area of the Rangers team which needed strengthened from last season was CB. I'm both surprised & disappointed that this hasnt happened so far.

MW:

He said: "We need one or two more. We've said that for a number of weeks but you've got to get the right players in.

"There are Burnley players rated £25million and we can't pay that kind of money. It's a smaller talent pool but we know what we want and if we can get it we'll make the move.

What else needs to be said here?

You could have added"dont question the manager".

Nah ... he said before that we are fishing in a limited pool of talent with limited ressources and hundreds of competitors. And WE know that ever since he joined up. Even if he get better ressources, Rangers is not a 1a address for many of the talent required (or demanded), as there are half a dozen leagues that are more attractive and hundreds of teams able to pay much more. It's the stark reality, no more, no less.

Edited by der Berliner

Nah ... he said before that we are fishing in a limited pool of talent with limited ressources and hundreds of competitors. And WE know that ever since he joined up. Even if he get better ressources, Rangers is not a 1a address for many of the talent required (or demanded), as there are half a dozen leagues that are more attractive and hundreds of teams able to pay much more. It's the stark reality, no more, no less.

Yet hes managed to find 5 new midfielders,but not one centre back.??

I don't know if it's as easy as we think to find a competent quality CH?. Hill I felt was appalling and slow yesterday, so bad in fact, that DW and RK looked an accomplished comfortable pairing when DW came on in my he second half.

I understand his point re not just going out and buying anyone, as frustrating as that is.