MW - I hope to get something done before next Saturday. We are working on it

Cant understand why limeburner is getting so much flak for stating the obvious.

The CH position has always been suspect and for all the relative points rbr makes above - surely when it came to allocating the few funds we had for new faces CH should have been the priority.

The problem is our biggest and most obvious fault has not been sorted. Every set-piece and long punt is going to be a nightmare. If players in the top league get a yard clear of Wilson or Kiernan then they will be as well just waving goodbye because they won't get near them again. Kiernan's positional sense is shocking and I am talking about at basic level. I believe I heard Peter Lovenkrands say that it was Kiernan that put Hill in trouble at the 1st Burnley goal. I haven't seen it myself. I was amazed at Wilson at corners last season, sometimes there was more than the full goal between him and the player he was marking. How he managed that I have no idea. We definitely need a good solid defender. Is Marvin Andrews or preferably Jaap Stam still available.:)

surely when it came to allocating the few funds we had for new faces CH should have been the priority.

The thing is maybe it was a priority. He has been saying for months now that he was looking for one but since it hasn't happened it may be the case that there is nothing available of a sufficient quality to make it worthwhile that we can either afford or can persuade to join us. They tried to sign Adrian Mariappa but clearly Mariappa ultimately decided against it.

Obviously it's an issue we would like to resolve but does anyone think an on form Andre Gray would find it much more difficult against any SPL defence?

Just in case Warburton is watching Timo Letschert of Utrecht is being hailed as the new Jaap stam. I haven't seen much of him but all the pundits are tipping him to reach the top.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/timo-letschert/profil/spieler/231378

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdoGjhWXzU

Edited by pete

Look as if he may fit the bill. Timely in the tackle and appears to have a great touch plus young and "off the radar" which is a feature of so many of our signings. And for his part it would be an ideal stage to put himself in the EPL shop window.

Vague guess is that something must be in the pipeline given the manager just said he hoped to sign more this week but that obviously doesn't guarantee we will get what he is looking at. It has to be an improvement on anything we already have in the relevant position or we may as well just go with what we have and wait till the next window.

Judging from something I just read he may not be interested in moving to Scotland.

Utrecht centre back Timo Letschert has admitted he is open to leaving the club this summer for a move to a bigger league.

The defender was a revelation for Utrecht last season and earned a place in the Netherlands squad for the end of season friendlies. Speaking to ELF Voetbal, Letschert stated he was open to moving, but only to a big league.

He said, “The transfer summer is still long, so it may still happen. There are some interesting clubs discussed, yes. It is difficult to name names, but I sometimes hear some from my agent. It involves clubs from the big leagues in Europe. I do not go to Russia or something. England and Germany have my preference.

“It is Germany, England or Italy. But it is a club at the highest level. Not in the Championship or so, then you can say goodbye to Orange. That’s not going to happen. I think I’m fit for the Bundesliga. It’s really a very nice competition and the way it is played speaks to me.”

I can understand us not being able to get first rate, or even second rate, players in - as fans we are reflexively guilty of doing a Jim Morrison and wanting the world and wanting it now, but Warburton is still very much operating with at least one hand tied behind his back financially.

Even so, it's hard to believe there isn't at least one defender better than Wilson or Kiernan available somewhere, and what really amazes me is that out of nearly 40 pro or semi pro clubs in Scotland there isn't a single CB prospect worth taking a punt on. If you grew up watching Miller & McLeish keep Hansen out the Scotland side, or the 9IAR players like Gough, McPherson, McLaren, down to Colin Hendry, this is just incredible and a damning indictment on the game.

I was a defender in my younger days for the very good reason that it's not the hardest job in a team to master - somewhere along the line the coaching has just collapsed.

Edited by Germinal