Rangers 2 - 1 Motherwell

Have we really got 5 out of our next 7 away from home.

Aye but it sounds worse than it is.

Effectively we now go away, away, home, away, home, away, away, home, home where the last two games even it out a bit.

We just need to deal with it.

Perhaps MW was trying to bolster the defence with Barton and Rossiter in midfield ... or have them play alongside one another to get some experience with each other. As Frankie said, Barton and Halliday, possibly even Rossiter were dragged farther up field than you would expect them to be, as Motherwell went into a shell with a packed midfield and defence, which essentially invited all of our players to get further forward ... and in turn opened up more space for any counter attacks. While Halliday was rather active in the "Holt-role", Barton looked a bit lost despite turning in a great performance. Over at the Well board they said as much, since he broke up quite a few attempted attacks and was harrassing their players all day long.

Our problem is that at times our front line is simply too dynamic, i.e. while looking for a good position or an opening, they switch sides or run into open spaces, which leaves their own slot vacant. None more so than Miller, who's central striker slot was empty quite a few times, so a good number of lose balls in there were covered by Well defenders rather than attacked by a central striker. Waghorn does have the same "problem" at times. On top of that, far too few people take on responsibility and shoot when in a decent position. Forrester did, and Windass is also a likely candidate, as is Kranjcar.

You would hope that with Gardner we now have a centre forward he stays more centrally and keeps their CHs busy. Likewise, as soon as we picked up tempo, their brick wall showed cracks. Many Premiership teams will be well equipped to line up their defence and let us play "find the gap". Hence, it is also essential that we vary our style and hit in early balls, of which we are capable. If they pack the midfield, bypass it. (All more easily said than done from the comfort of the home chair, of course.)

NB: Forrester ... was on the receiving end of some heinous challenges and was even limping at one time. He is far too valuable to have him play through that ... and risking that his temperament gets the better of him, as there was next to no protection from Mad Bob.

Edited by der Berliner

I have to admit that for the first time since he joined us I was pissed off at Warburton both at his team selection and his subs.

Playing Miller upfront and playing both Halliday and Barton as the attacking midfielders doesn't work.

There was one point when Miller fell deep and there was nobody in front of the midfield for anyone to pass the ball to. He can't do that if the attacking mids don't make Holt like runs.

He then takes off Forrester and leaves on Miller and plays him wide, which was baffling, although I now subscribe to TB's theory that he decides on his subs before the game and doesn't make them on the basis of who is playing well and who isn't, or on how the game is going, and is just on whose turn it is to get subbed.

We played great football last season with a lot of passing and moving, but the same level of movement isn't happening this season, presumably due to the change in personnel. As Gribz says, perhaps it does just need tweaked but the system that we used so effectively last season just isn't working with the current team selection, injuries and increased quality of opposition not withstanding.

I was fairly non-plussed when I heard the team but given the chances 'Well created the other week (and the pace they have), I wasn't overly surprised the line-up was more conservative than I'd have preferred.

For me we just lacked balance. On the right we had Tav and that was it. There was a huge amount of space that no-one took advantage of and Forrester, Halliday and Barton seemed to have no idea where they were playing, often getting in each other's way. Miller also had to keep coming deep so when good balls did come in from Tav, there was no-one there to get them. Only Halliday had the engine to try and get on the end of them and he was unlucky twice in the second half.

On the left, McKay received plenty of the ball but was far too ponderous in possession - mainly because Wallace didn't attempt to over/under lap and there was no room to get the cross in. Moreover, even when he did manage a pass inside, Barton was usually facing the wrong way and it went back to Rossiter rather than forward. I've no idea why Barton played on the left side of centre and Halliday on the right. That didn't work full-stop.

As such, I'm sure the manager will accept criticism on that point but if we'd been 0-0 at half-time he may have been happier to a degree.

In terms of the subs, well, MIke Driggs' article showed they worked well by and large. I thought Forrester was starting to blow out his arse so I was happy enough for us to replace him and keep the fresher Miller who does play the wide role quite well late in games (perhaps better as a sub though). For some reason, Barton also seems to play much better for the last half hour of matches but I do worry about his mobility/sharpness earlier in games.

Generally, I think we're missing Holt's mobility and timing of runs. Windass also showed he may be more useful in terms of being able to take the ball and run at players instead of moving it about in front of them. Add in Garner who is more of a penalty box striker then I'm comfortable enough with what we have as an alternative.

What I would say is that the last week or two have again showed just how important Waghorn and Tavernier are to this team. I'm still stunned some think the latter shouldn't play.

Watching through the first half, and our lack of penetration, i was looking for waggy running. He is definitely missed as he creates space for himself and others in the final third. I'm still not convinced Rossiter and Barton will ever be able to play in the same side and i would take Rossiter over Barton to start. We were very tight especially in the first half and i felt Halliday was largely ineffective. I also found myself looking for Holt so i guess we miss Waggy and Holt more than we thought we would, the latter certainly as Waggy was always going to be a big loss. Once everyone is fit again we will be back to the same point, back to square one, where MW does not know what his strongest starting eleven is and the formation?,

Its a nice problem to have but within that it does provide some other difficult challenges??

I think the team selection was geared towards solidity, but was also somewhat hampered by the few attacking midfielders actually available! Holt and Windass change the dynamic instantly.

Barton and Halliday don't have the necessary ability to receive the ball: they're Givers, not Takers... :ninja:

Barton definitely plays better when he's moved slightly deeper as more attacking players come on.

I think that allows him to read the game better and adjust his positioning which, as he gets older and the legs go, he'll need to do more and more.

I'm happy for two of Halliday, Barton and Rossiter to play but only if they're both sitting. All three doesn't work (though may away to Celtic for example which may explain the usage for now) and by and large, we can expect one of Holt, Forrester, Windass and Kranjcar to be the third man. As the season progresses, I'd also expect two of these players to be used and just one of the more defensive lads.

Ironically, we probably have too many options in DM now!

IMO, Barton was bought to be our primary defensive midfielder with Rossiter perhaps more of a long term option.

However, the young lad - perhaps because he's ahead of others fitness wise (though will be behind later as per McKay) - has been our best option off the cuff and has really looked the part. He's quicker, sharper and reads the game well (though can fall out of it for periods).

There's also no doubt we'll need to play two more defensively minded players in some games, hence the extra depth. However, it perhaps just surprised the manager just how defensive 'Well were on Saturday. As such the only criticism I'd maybe offer is that he didn't change things a wee bit earlier.